Not the One

Chapter 24

I had no reason to be in Paris anymore, so I called Daniel to help me schedule a flight back to Iowa. I didn’t want to work at his company or stay at his fancy beach house anymore. I missed my parents, and I missed being at home in my silent town. I was done with all this love crap. I had to admit, I still really liked both Jane and Tina, but they did not seem to feel the same way about me.
Daniel scheduled the earliest flight, which was tomorrow night. I didn’t feel it was necessary for tell Tina or Jane that I was leaving. They didn’t seem to care, so I didn’t bother. I did give my parents a call telling them that I would be back soon. I was disappointed to leave so soon, but summer was coming to an end anyway. Tina was going back to school, and Jane was still working here about to do big things. I had no place in their lives no matter how much I wanted them to be in mine.
I packed my bags slowly, trying to store all my memories of this place before I left. It was fun while it lasted, but it was time for me to go back home, where I was supposed to be this whole time. If I never left, I would have only broken one heart and only feeling pain from one person. Now I broke two hearts, and am witnessing pain from two people.
I never thought someone like me could end up this way. Maybe I should spend the rest of my life in Iowa and not have to face people who would break my heart. I didn’t want to break other people’s hearts either.

I slept for the whole day. I wanted to get on the plane and leave all my sorrow here in Paris. I was going to walk in my house, happy. I was planning to start a new life back home where I lived my old life.

The flight was horrible. One was because I didn’t get the window seat, but instead I got the middle seat. I was in between two obese ladies who ate sloppily and snored way too loudly. I tried to close my eyes and fall asleep, but it was hard because I wasn’t sleepy. I spent the whole day sleeping in the hotel, so I was wide awake. I regret doing that.

The plane landed after hours of annoying noises next to me. Thank God. I was desperate to go home and see how my corn was doing. I hoped they were okay. I missed them a lot. Being in big cities for the past few months have worn me down. I needed to be back in my small farm and enjoy the fresh air.

I took a taxi that drove all the way to my house. The cab driver got lost twice because he was not used to driving on roads that led to a farm.
“Wow, son, you live in an isolated place,” the taxi driver said, once he stopped outside my door.
“Yeah, I know. I love it though.” I handed him the money and he waved and drove away. I opened the front door slowly, wanting to surprise my parents. I was surprised to find them both asleep sitting down on the couch. I decided not to wake them up because they looked tired, with their work clothes and shoes on.
I went to my room. It was exactly the way I left it. I unpacked my things and went out to the farm. I was shocked to death at what I saw. All the corn was gone. There was nothing on the soil. It was empty. What happened? There was usually some corn left even when my father went to sell the ones he picked at the market. There had to be a logical explanation for this. I wanted to know so badly, but I decided to be patient and wait until my parents woke up before harassing them with questions.
I was still staring at the empty space where a lot of corn used to be. I heard the door open, and I turned around. My parents came outside.
“Leo! We’re so glad you’re back!” My mom said, coming over and giving me a hug.
“I’m glad to be back too,” I said. She let go of me. Dad was staring at the empty space, quiet. “Um, Dad, what happened here?” I pointed to where he was looking.
“Fire,” he said. “I couldn’t stop it.”
“Aw, I’m so sorry…” I said. I felt like I was about to cry, but I had enough of crying, so I held those tears in. Even though the corn was precious to me, we could always plant new ones. It wasn’t the end of the world, at least not yet.
“Leo, we’re undergoing a major financial crisis right now. With the corn gone and your mother not being able to sell her pies as well as before, we don’t know what to do. We were hoping you would have at least stayed in Malibu to work,” my dad told me.
“I… had no idea. Why didn’t you tell me earlier? I would have gone back.” I really would have. I would have done anything to help my parents. “Things didn’t really work out while I was in Paris. I had to leave because of personal problems. I’m so sorry this happened. Should I call Daniel and tell him I’d like to work at his company again?” I really hoped that was possible.
“You could try, but wouldn’t it be a bother to have him keep paying for your ticket?” My mom asked.
“I know… but I’ll pay him back whenever possible.” I went inside and called Daniel on my cell phone. He picked up after the second ring.
“Leo? Did you make it back safely?” He asked.
“Yes, I did. Listen, is it possible for me to work at your company again?” I hoped the answer was yes. There was a pause before he said, “I’m sorry, but I already hired someone while you were away. I can’t just fire him so you can take over.”
“Oh, okay. Thanks, though,” I said, and hung up.
My parents saw my disappointment when I walked by. “So, what did he say?” My dad asked.
“He hired someone else, so he’s not going to hire me.”
My mom hugged me and said, “It’s okay, honey. We’ll find some way to fix all of this.” I really hoped she was right. My life was turning out to be a disaster.