Guiding Light

One of One

He reached for her and she pulled away.

"Go away," She told him.

He reached again, but all he grasped was darkness. She hid in the shadows, a blanket of misery around her frail shoulders that she held tightly to. "Please go," she told him. He continued his search for her, every time he got close she'd move further and further into the darkness away from him. "Stop," she said. "Please, just leave me alone."

But he continued, despite her stubborn pleas and resistance. He continued because he knew she was somewhere in the darkness, holding onto the last little bit of light inside her.

"You deserve better, just leave me."

He didn't care if he had to search for her for the rest of his life, he would continue his search until he found her. And when she would finally appear before him, he'd take her into his arms and hold her as close as he could to his heart. He wanted her to collapse into him and to let him engulf her so he could be the light she desperately needed

"Why won't you leave?" she asked him. He didn't respond, instead he stood still, his search over. She stood before him, a faint silhouette in the darkness that he had to squint to see. "Why won't you leave?" she asked again, her voice cracking as she began to cry. He stayed silent and reached for her again, opening his arms wide. This time she did not resist, she fell into his arms and he drew her in, pressing her body tightly to his chest. They stood in the dark, he held onto her with all his might, afraid that if he let go she'd disappear into the darkness again. She sobbed into his chest, her body shaking violently as the anguish she felt inside was released.

"Why won't you leave?" She asked once more between her sobs. He smiled to himself and whispered into her ear, "I knew I'd find you eventually."

She'd eventually disappear into the darkness again, a shroud of misery and despair taking away her light. He hoped one day she'd be able to find her way out of the darkness on her own. But for now he was content holding her in his arms, and being the guiding light she needed. And when the time came she was able to find her own way out, he'd be waiting for her with his arms still wide open.