Come Back to Me - It's Almost Easy

Chapter 17

“Dave!”

Lea stood in front of his door, at this stage banging her little fists against the solid mahogany doors. He was supposed to pick her up from the airport, but had changed plans last minute, telling her to grab a taxi to his place instead. She just hoped for his sake, that he was actually at home! Finally, after hurling insults and fists against the door for at least 10 minutes, his face appeared in the door, shoving his sunglasses on top of his head.

“You trying to get my neighbours to call the cops or what! I was in the back …why didn’t you just walk around d the side?”

She stared at him in disbelief, as he simply grabbed her suitcase, dragging her and it inside. He was completely drunk, his bloodshot eyes gave him away.

“So I assume you couldn’t pick me up from the airport coz you were too wasted to drive? Started celebrating my first time in California without me, have we?”

Dave could only give her a retarded smile, finally giving her a big hug. She could hear laughter from the back of the house, it almost sounded like a full- blown party, in the middle of the afternoon.

“Yep, you know I hate drink driving. Plus, I couldn’t really leave my guests alone, that would just be so impolite. But it’s great to have you here, finally, your visit was long overdue. Come on out, I’ll introduce you to the guys outside. We just signed them, they’re awesome people, you’ll like them.”

She stopped him in his tracks, as the went to the kitchen, him opening the fridge to grab her a beer.

“You didn’t tell Matt that I’ll be coming, right?”

He wrapped one arm around her, kissing her forehead.

“Of course not! Though, he did get in touch with me today, bitching that he tried calling you non-stop ever since you tried getting in touch with him. I don’t even wanna know what that is all about! But I can smuggle you into the studio tomorrow before they get in, hope he don’t get a heart attack when he sees you. Oh yeah…what did you want me to give him by the way, please tell me it ain’t a pair of worn panties or something perverted like that.”

She shook her head, reaching into her messenger bag, pulling out her A4 diary, opening it. He looked down at the picture of Matt and Lea.

“Awh, nice one! How the hell am I gonna explain that though. He’ll definitely ask where I got it from.”

Lea shrugged her shoulders, taking the chilled beer bottle from his hand.

“Dunno…just say I sent it with all the other pictures, but that you didn’t want to get him more worked up about the whole thing or something. No idea, honestly. But it might be a better idea if I meet you guys in a bar that evening, instead of turning up at the studio, don’t wanna interrupt the recording, and it would be much more fun if we bump into each other by ‘coincident’ .”

He rolled his eyes, her plan was a little too elaborate, Matt was not stupid, and he would not be happy about ‘keeping’ pictures from him for 3 months, especially since he had been asking him for the pictures of him and Lea in particular. And he wasn’t sure either, if he should tell her that Matt had turned up in the company of a red-haired girl the past few days that they had been recording. He didn’t really want to get involved anymore than he already was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another short one...next one is loooonger!