Come Back to Me - It's Almost Easy

Chapter 23

I was damn tired. More mentally than physically really, but my body felt drained. Matt was hitting the drink pretty hard since about 2 hours, swarming from one group of people to the next, not able to sit still next to her for more then 5 minutes, leaving me sit with Dave, Syn and Zacky, who were playing poker, all 3 of them sporting the most serious poker faces she had ever seen. I started leaning against Zacky’s shoulder, having a look into his cards, silently signalling to Dave, that he had shit on his hand. Matt caught my eyes, talking to 3 girls, a red head and the 2 girls from earlier. The red head flirted a storm together, and he seemed to enjoy the attention flirting back. Note to self: there was a reason why I had told myself NOT to date a musician again! It’s not that they were all the same, but seeing him smile and laugh at her didn’t really improve my always low self esteem much It wasn’t jealousy…it was just…well, maybe it was jealousy. But I wouldn’t say anything to him about it. There was no point telling him about my worries or telling him how it worried me to see him actively flirting back, while I was around. He was a famous musician…female attention was inevitable.
I rested on Zacky’s shoulder for another 10- 15 minutes, having my eyes closed, trying to relax.

“I’m gonna go inside and get a hoodie, I am freezing.”

I said as my head left Zack’s shoulder. As I was screening the near by people, I couldn’t find Matt anywhere. He was a big guy, it should have been easy to pick him out from the crowd. Dave gave me one of his “this is a bad excuse” looks, he simply knew me too well!

“Don’t worry babe, Matt’s nothing like Jay. He’s just a friendly guy when it comes to meeting people…you’re the one he loves.”

I could hear Zack chuckle slightly, saying “right”, just a little too stretched for me to just let it slip my attention.

“What’s that supposed to mean? That’s the second time today you’re making a sly remark regarding him and women.”

I was now on my feet, watching him get up as well, his eyes glued to mine. His piercing eyes were shimmering in the light of torches that were burning around them, and his look made me feel uncomfortable beyond belief, I had no idea why. Him and me had gotten on alright so far.

“Did he not tell you about Ebony?”

He answered my question with another question and smirked, great! Talk about being evasive! The name Ebony didn’t ring a bell, but I assumed that it was the girl that Matt had been seeing before I turned up here.

“Yes he did. What’s so funny about it?”

My answer seemed to take him back a little. He stopped glaring at me, but let his eyes sway around the people sitting and standing near to us and then took my hand. The determination of an angry man suddenly written all over his face. He started pulling me towards the house.

“Zacky, don’t!”

I heard Dave’s nervous voice behind us and turned my head back towards him and Syn. He look concerned, but his legs gave way and he was unable to stand up. He had drunk too much alcohol, that was certain!

“ Why are you lying to her! She deserves to fucking know!”

Zacky barked back at him, not even bothering to turn around to Dave or me. I was scared. I didn’t like the way he talked and Dave’s attempt to stop him take me towards the house signalled me, that I wouldn’t like what he was about to show me.