Come Back to Me - It's Almost Easy

Chapter 35

"What the fuck Sanders, you almost gave me a heart attack, you creeping up like a common criminal like this!"

Zack was stepping away from Lea, making sure that the distance between them seemed appropriate. Matt must have been sitting sitting on the seats on the back end of the veranda, dipped into the shadows when himself and Lea had been coming in. He had jinxed the whole thing: saying that no one would walk in on them having sex...he didn't know if that wouldn't have been better than Matt being able to see their passionate kiss. Oh, that kiss!
Lea was still standing at the door, her hand grasping the house key inside her purse, not able to move or take her eyes off of Matt.
Zack seemed like he was caught out doing something wrong...good! He did. He was trying to make out with the woman that he loved more than anything, and Zack knew it was wrong!
Matt could see the tired eyes of hers. She was certainly more drunk then the time they had been partying in NYC. Fuck,...did he just see right? His best friend was making a move on the woman he was hopelessly in love with? Her, that had acted like the mother of goodness. Her, that had mentioned that she had a boyfriend.Her, that had said she wasn't trying to get into anyone's pants tonight...her that was judging him for cheating, while she was making out with Zack in front of his eyes, smashing all the arguments she had put down earlier meaningless.

"Let's go inside guys, I am freezing!"

Both guys were still numb in movement, as they looked at Lea finally unlocking the front door, slipping inside rather quick. She had said these words as if the situation they were all in was as normal as an every day thing. But it wasn't. normal. It took Zack a while to follow her inside, and Matt decided that any place would be better than standing out there on this porch, so he just went inside as well.
It was normal for them to go to the den, and both guys just let themselves fall onto the couch, trying to get all the comfort they could. A look over to Zack, having his head leaning in to his hands, Matt could hear an almost inaudible sigh.

"Zacky, I am just confused here. The woman I love said that she has a guy back home, that she loves more than anything. And yet I see her come back with you, kissing you, looking so-"

"Guys, so you want any drinks?"

Lea's shout from the kitchen interrupted them. Zacky was raising his head, the expression on his face motioning that he was glad about the call she had made, most likely not wanting Matt's conversation to go the way it did.

"What ever you can find, bring it in woman!"

Zack shouted back in reply, finally sitting up, revealing his distressed look on his face. Matt decided to go over to the stereo, trying to break down the tension his presence was apparently causing Zack to feel tense in his own house. Even though he wanted to know what the fuck was going on, he felt like he needed to cool this whole situation down a bit. As soon as he switched the stereo on, Metallica's 'Orion' was streaming throughout the whole surround system that Zacky had set up in the den. Matt was about to switch the song, or even album, not able to deal with such an emotionally filled song, as a hand was placed on his shoulder.

"Lemme change this CD, I wanna see what you think about this music."

His head twisted around, as he heard Lea's voice, locking into her eyes, her face being the closest it had been all night. She had changed into a tight white wife beater top and a pair of flannel PJ pants. Christ, he wanted her so bad this moment, it wasn't even funny! He could hear some glasses clink and he turned around to Zack who had poured two glasses of what looked like JD and tall shot glass of something else. From the bottles assembled on the table Matt assumed it was either Vodka or tequila. He decided to walk back to the sofa, taking the glass that Zack was offering him, while Lea was trying to work around the stereo. As some acoustic guitar tunes were finally streaming from the surround system, Lea was strolling towards the guys, sitting across the couch on the soft rug, crossing her legs Indian style. She took the shot glass and skulled it all in one go, though it was a double. She looked a little blurred after, but happy. Both guys looked at each other in amazement: this petite looking girl had just killed a double shot of tequila and didn't even pull a face, nor asked for anything to quickly drink after! She was always good for surprises!

"Damn, I really needed that! So, best friends...are you going to be all hostile all night or what?"

Her 'best friends' comment kinda of hit home. Zack was trying to hide a smile, and so was Matt.. As neither of them answered, she stood up.

"OK, I am sick of this awkward silence! Where do you hide a deck of cards Baker? And don't tell me you don't have one...I am drunk and I bet you guys have poker sessions every once in a while!"

Lea was dangerously trying to balance herself on her own 2 feet, as Zack got up, wrapping an arm around her waist. She clung at him, her whole body pressing against his, taking in his smell, unnoticed by Matt, who was still smiling about her uncoordinated movements while sipping on his own drink.

"Right, you sit down again and I am getting a deck from upstairs. I am serious L., sit down, I don't want you to hit your head."

He pushed her to the floor, making sure she was sitting, before jetting up the stairs, taking 3 steps at a time, he didn't want to leave her alone with Matt for long if he could avoid it at all. Matt was looking at her, taking in the music.

"Lea, who's that CD of? Vocals sound familiar, but I cant figure it out who it is, all acoustic too."

Matt was swallowing some of the cool drink, as Zack was walking back down the stairs again.

"Damn Sanders! You were singing with that woman on stage not 4 months ago and can't remember her voice? Come on!"

Zack was sitting down next to him,passing on the deck of cards to Lea, who gladly accepted them, starting to shuffle them almost immediately.
Wow, how the hell could he have been this dumb not to figure this out by himself! The song playing was a cover version of some old 80's song, he was almost certain it was an old Depeche Mode song, but hearing it with acoustic guitar had thrown him off the track.

"You do know the rules for strip poker, right?"

Matt was looking towards Zacky to evaluate his reaction to her comment, but it was the same as his: seeing her naked at some stage would be the goal of the night, and in silent agreement they nodded their heads, as they gave themselves little wink.

"No cheating either! I am serious! If I see the two of you collaborating just so that I am dropping clothes, I am not only going to be pissed off, but kick your fucking heads in!"

Matt and Zacky were looking at each other, laughing. Strip Poker was what they used to play with fan girls on tour buses for years, she didn't stand a chance on winning, but they wouldn't tell her...what reason was there!
The song changed and Matt recognized some guitar work that sounded like Zack, which was something impossible. He didn't recognize the song or the lyrics, so he just put it off. Zacky was walking over to her.

"OK, we are wearing just shirts and boxers and pants...you have one article of clothing more, and that wouldn't be fair!"

Zacky was kneeling behind her, skillfully unclasping the hooks of her bra before he strode it off her arms, throwing it to the end of the room, without her complaining.
She was handing out the cards, as Zacky was scooting next to Matt, resting one foot on top of the coffee table.

"OK, so let's make this more interesting! Whoever of us guys wins over her, gets to stay with her for the-"

"Fuck off Sanders! I am not going to be part of your male bets! I am playing by myself, and I will most likely win. I am not going to promise sex to anyone!"

Lea sat on the floor, hands in her hips, glaring at him with angry eyes. She couldn't believe that he was still trying to make his move on her after she had told him that she was not interested in him anymore, that she was taken, had a man. She smiled though, as she heard herself sing 'Seize The Day' , a song which she had learned to love months ago, back in NYC. There were no fancy solos in this acoustic version, only her singing accompanied by Zacky playing the guitar. They had recorded some songs together a few days ago in his 'guitar room', just for shits & giggles really, but she loved the CD. And the fact that her and Zack had been working on it together, made it the more special to her.
Zacky was searching for her eyes, knowing that this song did mean something to her. Their eyes met and she rewarded him with the most generous smile. He had been sitting right on this sofa a lot of times, playing along when she was singing this song. He loved her voice, the way she looked at him when she sung. He had considered taking the CD into the studio and play it to the guys, but Matt would have noticed that it was her voice, and it would have brought up awkward questions.

All of them put their cards down, Lea cringing visibly, as she had a look around the table.

"I hope you guys are enjoying this, because it's gonna be the only piece of clothes I am going to take off!"

She stood up, admitting that she had the losing hand without any of the guys being able to point that fact out first. Slowly, she stripped of her PJ pants, neatly folding them, before she sat down again. Her laced dark crimson panties, french style, were merely covering half of her perfectly round butt cheeks, and she could feel the guys stare at her, before she had a chance to sit down again. Seen that neither Matt nor Zacky was shoveling the deck of cards, she cussed under her breath, extending her hand to take the cards.

"I swear guys, this one sided conversation is getting boring. And would you please take your greedy man-eyes off my crotch and chest and concentrate on the game at hand! Make yourselves useful and make me a drink...chop chop!"

The guys started laughing again, Zack reaching out for a glass that was on the table, pouring in some vodka and mixing it with Cranberry Juice. He knew she loved this drink, although he'd never understand how she could drink this bitter shit.

"Well aren't you getting all feisty and demanding when drunk!"

Matt replied, dimples edging themselves into his face. She was cute when she was like this, behaving like a 5 years old.

She dealt the cards, picking hers up, squinting her eyes before monitoring both Matt and Zack, making sure they didn't cheat. After having changed some cards, Lea raised her upper body towards the table, smiling at them at her best:

"You guys are going down...all the way to China Town!!!"

She flicked her cards on the table, showing 2 Aces and 2 Kings and something else. She was rather confident that none of them could beat that. Well, at least she was hoping that, seen that she was not keen on taking off her top in front of the two pairs of preying eyes.

"Well, I don't know about you Zack, but I can beat that hand easily!"

Matt put down his cards, showing 3 Queens, and without hesitation, Zack laid out 3 tens.

"Shirt please darling! "

Matt laughed out loudly, reaching out his arm, as if demanding her shirt right now. At this stage he didn't mind if Zacky would enjoy the sight of her pretty much naked or not, but he himself was in for a treat. He had been waiting to see her breasts again, ever since walking in on her at Dave's house 2 weeks ago. Only realizing now that Zack had gotten up, he followed Zack with his eyes, as he moved over to the stereo, switching it off.

"I'm sorry Matt, but she's not gonna show you any goods. Not tonight, not ever. Maybe it's better if you leave now, I can call you a taxi or something seen that you are way too wasted to drive yourself."

As Zack was finished, Matt was still dumbfounded about what had been said, and about the serious look on his friend's face. What did he miss? Had he said something wrong? Looking to Lea, who was still sitting on the floor, he noticed that her long hair was now conveniently falling into her face, denying him to meet her eyes.

"Wow...how did the atmosphere get so weird! All I know is that Lea had the losing hand and should therefore take off her shirt! I mean, if one of us would have lost, we would have complied, too. You don't have to produce yourself as the savior of the Virgin Queen or something, she's not as innocent as she looks! You know that making out with you made her cheat on her boyfriend that she apparently has back home in NYC? Come on, take a chill pill Zack, and let's go on with the game."

Zacky didn't move, but his expression changed. It was now something between anger and determination, as he knelt down behind Lea, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"I don't care what you say Matt, she is not taking off that top and we are not continuing to play. I know the way you look at girls just before you jump on them, and that look is in your eyes right now. You are too drunk, and she is as well, too drunk to tell you 'No' ! Damn, it sucks being the one having to break it to you...but seen that she ain't doing it, and you are too dense or drunk to see it, I have to: I don't fuckin' appreciate you eying my girl like that, full stop!"

Zacky's voice was echoing through the dead silent house, making the impact of his statement even more dramatic than it was meant to. Matt was still looking at Lea, not sure if he had heard correctly, needing to see her eyes to know that what his 'friend' had said was in fact true.

"Damn Matt, why you think she is sporting MY stage name on her back! Were you really as egocentric as to think she wanted to tell you and the world she wouldn't take cheaters like you anymore? She has been with me for the past 2 weeks, and we were falling for each other, while I was originally just trying to offer her a place to stay for the night, before she could get a flight back home...but she decided to stay. I hated lying to you, but we didn't want to break your heart."

Matt stood up slowly, still looking at Lea, who was now slowly raising her chin, her dark brown eyes finally meeting his stare. Her look said more than any words Zack had just voiced. He could see in her eyes, that she was sorry, for having played him like this. He could see the love in her eyes, that was blooming for Zack. He was even able to detect a glimmer of love for him, just as she was biting her lip, a silent tear rolling down her cheek. If it wouldn't have been for the last bit of emotion, the bit that she still felt for him, he would have been most likely crashing Zack's skull against the tiled floor by now. But that tiny glimmer in the back of her eyes was somehow all he needed to stay calm. Calm enough not to kill his band mate for the act of deceit he had just admitted. Relaxed enough to walk over to his band mate, placing a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly before mouthing the words, that would be mean the start of a master plan.

"And I appreciate that thanks man. I should be glad that it is you she is with, not some 2nd class fuckwitt who would screw her over. Although I think you two should have told me straight out, I am not as mad as I think I should be, and telling by your facial expression, you pretty much expected me to jump over that table and smack you up pretty good, hum? I think this kinda sobered me up, I need to come to terms with this...just-"

he knelt down in front of Lea, placing his hand against her soft cheek, his thumb wiping away another stray tear.

"-be aware that if you EVER hurt her, I will kill you. I have fucked up enough, but if you fuck up Zack, I WILL KILL YOU! This is not an empty threat either. If you already steal the woman I love, at least treat her right."

He kissed Lea's forehead, got up and walked out of the front door, not saying one more single word, nor looking back at them. The door fell back into it's latch and they heard the engine of his car howl loud, screeching tires.
Zacky looked down at his now OFFICIAL girlfriend, and started smirking as she met his gaze.

"That went better than I expected! Wanna have sex?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I left off to go to sleep last night, and left this Chapter only half finished. Instead of continuing it in a new one, I am simply adding the rest unto this one. I know, it is a rather rocky chapter, and the end is not expected at all...but I needed some sort of closure, before making a huge time-jump to the next Chapter.

...and thank you A7Xmcs for the much appreciated 'novella' story comment!