Status: from Nano Wrimo 2013

High School Has Its Perks

Friends

"OK everyone look alive" Ross said. He took a seat at their usual lunch table. You can't break tradition. "Joe gets out of the hospital soon" he started. "And I want to do something huge"

"Getting him an expensive ice cream cake is huge" Leena said. "And the Mcdanks was unnecessary considering his doctor yelled at us"

"Well something bigger" Ross said.

"He's still suffering" Bryan said. "A low-key party at his house when he gets home is all he needs...and more McDanks for sure"

"Oh and we should stop smoking around him" Sean said. "I don't think that helps" they all agreed on that one. "So shall we make a pact to quit smoking?"

"Next week" Ross said. "We'll start next Monday. Give me a few more days" they all chuckled.

"Well off topic" Leena started. "I just applied to North Eastern"

"YEAH!" Ross exclaimed. "I have no idea where that is but YAY!!" Ross side-hugged Leena quickly.

"Hopefully I get a reply quickly" Leena said. "It's my top school"

"Well speaking of college" Bryan said. "I finally narrowed my long ass list of colleges down to seven and I think I might add North Eastern just because it's such a gorgeous school"

"When did you visit?" Sean asked.

"Over the summer, Joe came with us" Leena said. "I should probably visit the Umass schools too. Umass Amherst is my second choice"

"I want to play football for Umass" Bryan said. "I have a scout coming to see me play soon"

"That's soo cool" Leena said.

"Me too" Ross said. "But my grades aren't high enough to get in I don't think. But I have college plans too. My mom went to Becker and he's totally pushing it on me but I like it there so I might apply"

"What are your career plans?" Leena asked. "Being a drunk?" the gang laughed while Ross had to admit that his behavior lately has been a bit...interesting.

"I'm not sure. I want to play football, that's all I know"

"Is your dad pushing the army?" Bryan asked.

"Nope, not at all. I'm glad he's not"

"Well I want to go into the army" Sean said proudly. Leena smiled. They've talked about this for quite a long time. "I'm not completely decided on army or navy yet"

"Army all the way" Ross said. "My dad will teach you everything you need to know once he comes back"

"When is he coming back?"

"He just started his seventh tour over the summer so...never" that created an awkward moment for them. "He'll probably miss graduation" he said softly. Bryan was getting the feeling that Dakota's death wasn't the only problem for Ross' sudden down spiral in attitude.

"Uh" Bryan tried to change the topic as quietly as possible. "Well Leena, I want to become a teacher" he said.

"I didn't ask you but thanks for sharing"

"I thought you might want to know"

"What kind of teacher?" Sean asked.

"Not sure. I hate little kids but I hate teenagers so probably something in between. Maybe middle school or late elementary school?"

"I'll send my kids to your school" Leena said.

"Oh, Lee, I never asked what you want to do"

"I have no fucking clue. My mom always said I'd be a great drug dealer" they all laughed, even Ross. "She says I'm too butch to be a prostitute"

"True dat" Ross joked. Leena hit Ross over the head. "You'd be an awesome drug dealer though"

"Doesn't Karo deal on the side?" Sean asked.

"Only because she needs the money to save for college" Leena said. "She's better at it then I ever could. She told me she charged one hundred dollars more then what she was supposed to charge and she got to keep that and an additional fifty bucks"

"Damn" Bryan said. "Let's start a gang" Bryan said. "New constitution amendment!" they all groaned.

"The only amendment I like is the one about the boner when watching porn" Sean said. "Just because"

"Off topic question" Ross said. "Who the fuck is Sam Sato?"

"She's a junior" Bryan said. "Nice girl, why?"

"I was talking with her today in chemistry and she's super hot" he said. "She wanted to know what I wanted to do after high school and I lied and said I wanted to coach"

"Dude, Ross, you would be an awesome coach!" Leena said. "You're aggressive, your inspirational, you're motivated" Ross gave her that 'are you sure?' look. "Ok, so maybe you're not motivated" he chuckled. "But you're awesome and you have the sketchy facial hair and the walk of swagger! You're the perfect coach"

"But what would I coach?"

"UH FOOTBALL!" Bryan exclaimed as he hit Ross over the head again. Ross smoothed down his chestnut brown hair from the abuse he was taking. "You're the best football captain ever, you'd be an awesome football coach"