Status: from Nano Wrimo 2013

High School Has Its Perks

Code

"So you want our help?" Haley asked. "Yesterday you thought we were jealous bitches and now you want OUR help?" Kara nodded, she had one emotional night, the worst night of her 14 years of life.

Carly and Haley looked at each other, they didn't say a word, they spoke with their eyes. Together they agreed that helping Kara was obviously the best decision. "OK" Carly said. "But we make the rules here"

"Fine!" Kara said. "Just help"

"Well, I'm sorry if it hurts" Haley said. "But you have to break up with Stephen"

"No! I love him!" Carly laughed.

"Yeah I'm sure of it" Haley said. "You've known this kid for like two seconds, you don't love him" she said. "Break up with him or you have to have Zack break up with him for you"

"I don't want Zack to think he's right"

"He is right!" Carly shook Kara's shoulders. "What Zack did for you was the best thing any big brother could do for their little sister" she said. "You're too stupid to understand. When Lauren told on me to my dad it was the best thing to happen. Because now I'm not a crazy drunk party animal every weekend and I actually understand what I'm doing in math!"

"Carly's right" Haley said. "Zack can help"

"I just can't" Kara said. "I just can't. I don't even want to break up with Stephen!"

"Well we need to do something" Carly said. "Anyone have any ideas?"

"Let's snitch on him!" Haley said. "We can put the drugs he gave you in his locker and snitch! One more strike and he's expelled from the school!"

"Great idea!" Carly exclaimed. "It's not like anyone actually locks their lockers around here. We'll do it after school real quick, no one will know"

"Ok, I'm in"

...
"Telling Sam about that shit wasn't a fantastic idea" Leena started. Mac nodded. The two girls opted out of gym class, and by opting out I mean they faked their periods to get sympathy from their gym teachers. "But it was neccessary. You've imprinted on that girl"

"I feel bad!" Mac said. "She dated fucking Stephen Waters who probably cheated on her with five different guys along with possibly hitting her...I want her to know what she's getting herself into, don't you?"

"Yeah. I did that with Shannon before Ross asked her out. Obviously it didn't help" Leena chuckled. "I'm a life ruiner"

"No, we're just helping. Who knows if in five or six months they break up and Sam never saw something coming. At least she knows the warning signs of when to get out"

"I guess"

"Do you even like Sam?"

"I think my best friend Ross Barnes has an alcohol and drug dependency issue" Leena said. "And I don't think Sam deserves another guy like that" Mac knew about the alcohol but drugs, too?

"Is it bad?" Mac asked.

"No, strictly on Saturdays and Sundays when there's no football. But it's bad enough to see its starting to spill into the week days now that football is over"

"Maybe we should tell his parents?"

"No, his mom already knows. His car was impounded. He's not drunk driving anywhere" Leena said. "And he has a strict 8 P.M curfew unless Bryan or Joe is picking him up. It's bad enough"

"Are we bad people for letting this relationship happen" Leena snuggled into her fleece hoddie and shrugged.

"I think we are" she admitted. "We both know how this is going to end and when it does Ross is going to spiral. I ended a terrible relationship between Ericka and Bryan but the gang as a group didn't have the balls to tell Ross what he's getting into...actually we did tell him but we never pushed it hard enough"

"We should become psychologist" Mac said. "We'd be great guidance counselors"

"Yay we would!" Leena exclaimed. "Did you hear about Haggerty's advice to some kid in class today? she's fucking terrible. Why would she ever advocate for someone going behind their parents back?"

"Because she's a terrible human being that's why!"

...

Dillon and Hannah walked over to the football field for marching band practice that afternoon. "I wanted to ask her out on a date" Dillon said. "Now that all this Nick drama is over and Shay is with Gary. It just seems like it's time" Hannah nodded.

"Is Sydney over Nick?"

"Well, I'm assuming so"

"Don't assume, ask!"

"I can't just ask a girl if she's over another guy!" Dillon said. "Then she'll know I like her"

"Want me to ask?"

"No! I can handle this" Dillon said.

"No you won't" Hannah said. "You're never going to act on your feelings for her, just like you never acted on your feelings for Shay"

"I'm over Shay" Dillon said.

"Well that's fucking fantastic" Hannah said sarcastically. "Your over Shay and now you're into Syd. Five months pass, Syd's in a relationship and you fall for another single girl. Five months later you get over that girl and fall for another single girl. See a pattern here?"

"Yeah, but it's not terrible..."

"It's shitty. Instead of asking Shay out on a date when she was single, you gave up once she got into a relationship with Ryan even though we all fucking knew she could do better than Ryan"

"That's not true"

"Yeah it is" Hannah said. "Syd's single and even if she's not over Nick you can still hang out with her" she said.

"I'm not as attractive as Nick" Dillon said. "Fucking Nick Van Buren"

"Who cares?" Hannah asked. "Your an awesome guy" Dillon blushed. "And any girl would be lucky to have you"
"Even you?"

"Yeah, if I liked boys" Hannah said. "Now are you going to ask her out?" he sighed. "If you don't ask her out within the next two weeks I will for you"

"Please no!"

"Then ask her out yourself!"

...

"This is romantic" Shay said to Gary. Gary planned out an elaborate romantic dinner at their favorite diner in town. The diner was the place to go if you were a high school student. Not many adults went there and it had this kind of 50's feel to it.

"It's just dinner" Gary said.

"But still" she said. "It's still sweet"

"So, how's Sohee?" he asked. She's been talking about her much more. "I know they were home during the weekend and you said you saw them alot?"

"Yeah they're doing great!" Shay said. "Sohee planned this giant party on Sunday night before everyone had to go home. She's doing much better"

"Are they adjusting well?"

"I think" Shay said. "Matt says college sucks but he says the parties are better. In the three hours I spent with them on Sunday here's what I know. Vanessa's flunking out, Emma's back from europe, Mike's dating a junior at our school, Holly is going insane and Vanessa suspects drug use, Randy is doing surprisingly well, Kyle wants to transfer, Lauren is overwhelmed and did I mention that Mike's dating a junior?" Gary chuckled. "But they'll be fine...hopefully"

"I'm not too excited for college now"

"Me neither" Shay said. "High school sucks, but at least it has its perks"