Status: Let me know what you guys think!

She Was Here

Chapter 2

I didn't drink. I let the sickness consume me and take over, for once. It filled me like a horrible demon, begging me to give in and let it take me over, so I did. I didn't sleep that night.
I reread her note in the bathroom.
My phone buzzed.

You drunk again, yet?

It was Bonnie. She was what I needed right now.

No. I'm on my way over.

I hit send. I found the strength to peel myself off the floor, and I grabbed my keys from my room. I told my mom I was going to Bonnie's and left.
She couldn't leave me mind. No… I couldn't get her out. The way her touched shocked me. How she clearly knew I was in the back room, resting. She just came in and acted like it was a mistake. Why would she do that? She didn't even know me.
I didn't want her to know me.
I didn't want to know her.
Thoughts of Jurnee sped through my mind as I pulled up to Bonnie's place and made me way down the side-drive way and around the back, entering through a summer porch type of room which was Bonnie's bedroom. She lived with her cousin John, on their porch.
Her and her parents didn't get along.
"Dude, I seriously can't believe you're sober." She smiled, lazy and high. Her exhaled and a little puff of smoke rolled out from between her lips.
I nodded at her, "Me either."
She shook her head. "Are you okay? Seemed pretty sick earlier."
I smiled shyly, "I like the feeling of being sick, nobody understands that. It sucks, but it's proof that I was drunk enough. I don't know."
"Lance, dude, you're fucking crazy."
I took the bowl from her hands, and lit myself up. Inhaling for awhile and letting the smoke fill my lungs. "You would think you would be used to this by now."
The silence filled the room as my head became light and I let go of the smoke, my stomach hitched and I coughed until I gaged. Bonnie smiled at me. "That's a good hit."
I just sat there. I reached into my pocket and touched the note. It felt rough on my finger tips.
"Yo, dude, I met someone today."
This fact didn't surprise her. We tell each other about everything, and anything.
"Oh yeah? I noticed someone new sitting at your table."
I took another hit, and exhaled after a minute. "Yeah, that's the girl I met."
Bonnie didn't say anything.
"After you took me to the nurse, she came into the back room."
This got Bonnie's attention back. "Why the fuck would she do that? That's your room. Everyone knows that."
The fact that I have my own room says a lot, and I smiled at the thought that I loved drinking so much, but I answered her. "She gave me a note."
"What did it say?"
I pulled out the note and I gave it to her. She studied it, reading it. "Do you know her?"
I shook my head. "No, it's weird, right?"
Bonnie looked at me, straight in the eyes. Her eyes were glazed and I felt so far away from her, but I knew she was right there sitting on her bed, and I on the couch.
"I don't like her."
I didn't know whether to nod or shake my head. Bonnie was my best friend. We even dated last year for three weeks, but she was always stoned and I was always drunk and we didn't even talk, so we went back to being best friends and here we are.
"Lance, I'm serious, something isn't right with her."
I stared at her. My stomach told me the same thing, but maybe I was wrong.
"If you know what's best for yourself, you'll stay away from her, okay?"
I nodded. I felt better with Bonnie by my side through everything. She always had my back.
But she would change that, too.

At lunch the next day I sat at Bonnie's table with Kelli, Jess, and Jess's boyfriend, some dork who liked to slobber all over Jess's body while she ate. Thank god I wasn't hung over, or I would've tosses my cookies.
Ellie and Anthony came over to sit with me, "Why are you over here today?"
I jolted my head in the direction of our table, where the girl sat, staring at me.
I could feel her looking at me, and it made me feel hot and uncomfortable.
"Do you want us to get her to leave?" Ellie said.
"No, it's okay."
"I don't know why Adams invites her, she's so annoying." Anthony said, crossing his arms and staring. He wasn't afraid of anyone.
"I'll be okay guys. Seriously."
"If you want us to come over, just wave us ok?" Ellie said, messing my hair before they left.
Within seconds, Bonnie's face went from happy to angry.
"Hi." I heard her voice say.
I turned, and she was standing next to me.
"Oh, hi…" I said. My body tensed.
The bell rang. Bonnie stayed seated and everyone else left.
"I was thinking we could walk to class together." She said, smiling.
I looked at Bonnie, who was glaring at the girl.
She didn't seem to notice but if she did, she really didn't care.
"Lance, we can walk to class we're going to the same place." Bonnie pounced.
"I know what class you have, that kid Adams told me. But I actually wanted to talk to you. Alone." She said, reaching to touch my shoulder. I got up suddenly to throw my trash away, and when I turned around, she had my backpack in her hand, giving it to me. "Let's go."
I felt trapped.
"I-okay. Dude, I'll text you, okay?"
Bonnie shook her head at me, "Yeah. Whatever." Threw her remainders in the trash, slung her bag over her shoulder and left me in the dust.
The girl took my hand, "I know a short cut." And she lead me out of the cafeteria and into a stare-well.
"Why didn't you call me last night?"
I was surprised. "I didn't know I was supposed to."
"I needed you, and you didn't call." She stopped dead, her eyes piercing into mine.
I stammered. I didn't like this situation.
"I'm sorry."
"It's fine. Just call me tonight, okay?"
I nodded, barely able to speak. I didn't like her.
She hugged me, her arms wrapping around my waist and reaching up towards my shoulders. Tight and strong, she held me. And then she let go, and I could breathe.
"I'll be waiting," she winked at me. "You're cute, you know that?"
And she giggled, and left.
I remembered how her hands felt on my back and I sat there for a minute, sitting on the stairs. I was super late to class and normally I wouldn't care, but I did this time.
I texted Bonnie:

Can I come over tonight?

I hit send.
Bonnie didn't respond for the rest of the day.
And this was only the beginning.