Nobody Compares

No one ever makes me feel like you do when you smile.

Walking down the halls of my high school was hell. I shuffled through as quickly and quietly as I could, all the time. I never thought my classmates would do what they had done to me. The name calling and paper throwing was sustainable. It wasn't until actual physical pain was inflicted that my mom decided to move. She knew of the horrible things that happened. She knew the teens threw trash at me. She knew they would knock into me. Their only excuse was that I was invisible but, how could I be? Me, out of all people? The overweight, below average looking, grade-A student that roamed the halls with her fellow classmates?

My luggage was on the trolley, being rolled off to a cab. The roads were different. The streets were different. The people were… different. Of course their were some that was bothered by my outside appearance. Then there were people that didn’t care. There were kids that were more concerned about the fact the I was American. Their were people like that in the world. People like my new friend Harry Styles.

I was fifteen when I had moved to Holmes Chapel, in Cheshire. It was a big move. I was so used to the busy streets of New York. I was so accustomed to the constant hustle and bustle of trains, cars, buses, and people. Cheshire seemed so calm and far from what I was used to.

The first year was a hard time for my mother and I. We were the only ones we had. My father had passed away several years prior to my move. My older sister had moved out and went to live with her girlfriend. She made sure she lived far from my mother. My mother did not approve of their relationship. I was hurt that she had to do that. I barely even got the chance to talk to her. She was the only person in this world that actually had spoken to me like a human being… Until now. Until I met Harry.

As time passed on, it got even harder. Harry had mentioned something about a signing contest. He was gone for much longer than I wanted him to be. He was the only person that actually cared about me. He was the only guy that would make eye contact with me. Still in the UK I was being shunned.

I examined myself in the body length mirror. It was my eighteenth birthday and I was ninety-six pounds lighter. Which is about 6 stones in British terms. I felt like an actual human and not a whale. The dress I wore was flowy and very girly. I haven’t worn a dress in ages. I think it was when I was a child that I had even owned one.

I finished getting ready for the party my mother had so urged me to get ready for. I honestly didn’t know what I think. I was going to University now. I was an adult now. This was the year I was able to go out to the bars and drink, legally. I was just stoked to have my first legal beer.

“Honey,” my mother cooed from the door, “come on now. Don’t be such a diva. You look fine.”

I just rolled my eyes at her and grabbed my coat, “sure thing mother.”

My mother drove to the venue that apparently held the celebration. I didn’t have many friends. I only had two that I had made at University. I had really hit it off with a girl named Eleanor. She was a lovely girl. Her brunette curls flowed perfectly. She had a great body and gorgeous eyes. She told me that she didn’t always look that way. It was then when I truly felt a connection with her. The other girl’s name was Jasmine. She was an ambition girl. She had mocha colored skin and soft hazel eyes. Her black hair popped against her skin tone. Her style was ever changing and random. She had really brought me out of my own shell.

I clutched my bag as I sat in the passenger seat of the car. My mother had made it her mission to learn how to drive in the UK. To this day she has yet to perfect the skill. I gripped onto the door handle just in case something should happen. I still remember the first time I let her drive me to school. Let’s just say the car didn’t survive.

The drive was surprisingly long. It had taken about forty-five minutes to get to the location. My mother had parked near the front. She gathered a few things and led me to the room the party was being held. My shoes clicked against the flooring as we made our way to the rooms door. When the double doors opened at the same time, lights flickered on and I was hit by the booming sound of music and people shouting, surprise.

I felt my eyes tear up a little. I smiled when I saw some old friends from high school. I saw some brave family members that made the trip from New York to here. I hugged and thanked everyone for their gifts and presence. I saw a few people I didn’t know personally. I knew of them but, never met them. They were Harry’s band members. Harry was in a boy band and they were actually at my party.

“Hello there, love,” the one I recognized as Louis spoke, “have you seen the birthday girl?”

I had to laugh, “yeah, you’re talking to her,” I shook my head.

“Wow,” he seemed surprised, “I was-”

“Expecting a whale instead of a girl? Yeah, it happens,” I hid the hurt.

“Louis didn’t mean that,” Liam interjected.

“It’s fine. I know how I looked before. Harry probably showed you old photos. He hasn’t seen me since my sixteenth birthday.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you,” the blond one, Niall, shook my hand, “he does talk about you a lot.”

“I, um, really?” I moved the hair out of my face.

“Of course,” Zayn smiled at me, “I think he’s smitten.”

“Well that’s doubtful. You’ve seen me before,” I rolled my eyes.

“Have you guys seen her?” Harry’s voice filled my ears.

I felt my breathe catch in my throat. I balled my hands into fists. My palms had began to sweat. My nerves always got the best of me. I turned to face him. He was still the same cheeky young lad I knew and adored. His curly hair was combed into a quaff and I nearly fainted.

“Harry,” my voice was meek.

Harry’s eyes flickered to meet mine. At first he didn’t recognize me. His eyes bulged out of its sockets. He took a step back and really gave me a good look. His eyes scanned my body and came back to meet my blue orbs.

“Is,” he stuttered, “is it re-really you?”

“I know, I know,” I swatted his arm, “there’s only one of me now. I got rid of the other two me’s,” I laughed to lighten the mood.

“You know I hate when you talk like that.”

“Oh hush, Harry. I learned to love myself, now,” I shrugged.

“Can we talk,” he held out his hand, “in private.”

I took it, hesitantly. He was still the same old Harry Styles. The same weird kid I knew in school. The same flirty guy that couldn’t stop talking about how “fit” his female teachers were. I, on the other hand, was strikingly different. I was half my weight. I was more feminine. I was more confident. I was more open and trusting.

Harry and I ended up in the parking lot of the venue for the party. We went around to the side of the place just in case anyone comes out or if anyone arrives late. I sat on the bench that was conveniently placed against the brick wall. A bush was next to either side of the bench.

“Wow,” Harry stretched on the bench next to me, “I can’t believe it.”

I laughed, “I know. Going from 248 pounds to this is a bit shocking, huh?”

He nodded, “yeah, and to think I was going to come back to the Scarlett I used to know.”

“Hey,” I turned in my seat, “I’m still the crazy bitch you used to know. I’m just more confident.”

Harry chuckled as he grabbed my hand, “now what am I going to do when you have guys falling through trees to get with you?”

“Well,” I thought about it for a moment, “it all depends on who the guy is. Plus, I still have a bit more weight to loose.”

“No you don’t,” he spat, “you’re perfect.”

“You’re still the same Harry for sure, charm and all.”

“Only for you.”

I saw the blush creep up into his cheeks. I eyed him for a moment. What was he trying to get at?

“Starting that again, huh?”

“I’m serious,” his eyes bore into my own.

“Oh.”

“Scarlett,” he was sitting on one leg now, just to look at me fully, “do you know how hard it was to be away from you?”

“Really hard. I missed you, too.”

“Yeah, and a brief time on the phone isn’t working. I really care about you, Scar. You know that right?”

“Of course,” I nodded.

“Then you should know that this is going to be hard for me to do. I’m risking a great friendship but, it’s not enough.”

“Harry,” I was about to get up but, he had a good hold of me, “why now?”

“Scarlett, please, hear me out,” he pleaded.

“Oh, and what about those times you hooked up with all those other girls on the rode? I do have the internet and other social media options. Harry, what about-”

“It doesn’t matter. I did most of it to get our name out there. And others were just a distraction from you. Do you know how intoxicating you are. You’re amazing Scarlett.”

“Harry,” I sighed as I placed my head on his shoulder.

“Please, can you just please give me a chance to be your boyfriend?”

I stood now, trying to gain space between my best guy friend. He knew nearly everything about me and still he’s asking me out. He knew me at my worst and at my best. He was with me not caring about my weight. He knew how bad it was and still he wants to go out with me.

“Harry-”

“Please,” he looked like a lost puppy.

I smirked, “how is this even going to work out? You tour way too much. I’m always at University. I just- I don’t see where we will be able to be an actual couple.”

“How can we not? Louis and Eleanor do it.”

“Eleanor?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“Fine, Harry. I’ll be your girlfriend. But I must warn you I’m new at this.”

“That’s perfectly fine,” he beamed, hoping up from the bench, “I will be the best boyfriend you ever had.”

“Harry,” I eyed him.

“Right. But I still am better than that one guy, remember, Ryan?”

“Oh God,” I hid my face in Harry’s chest, “don’t remind me. It lasted like two weeks and then he ended up screwing one of my friends.”

“See?”

“It’ll be easy to beat that anyway. You’re way too nice to do that.”

“Right,” he smiled, squeezing me in a hug.

“Let’s go back in before people think we’re fucking in the bathroom or something.”

“It wouldn’t be terrible.”

“Shut up Harry.”

As Harry and I returned, hand in hand, cheering erupted from the crowd. Friends and family congratulated me once again. I then noticed a few new arrivals.

“Girl,” Jasmine smiled, “you are one lucky bitch. Plus that dress,” she waved her hand over my outfit, “is slamm’.”

“Thanks Jas,” I hugged her.

“Scarlett,” I heard a soft voice.

“Eleanor,” I squealed, “hey.”

“I’m so happy for you. Louis mentioned it once. I was forsaken to say a word about knowing any of them. It was so hard.”

“I can’t believe it,” I laughed.

“Scarlett,” I heard my mother, “I am so proud of you. You so deserve this,” she hugged me tightly,” Uh, you are just such a great daughter,” I saw her eyes flicker.

“Okay, mom,” I grabbed her, “no need to cry. I love you but, seriously go.”

“Right, okay, uh, you are just- uh,” she blubbered as she made her way back to my Aunt.

“Moms,” I laughed, “the smother you with so much love.”

“I think it’s adorable,” Harry laced his arm over my shoulders.

“I think you’re adorable,” his lips met mine and we kissed.

We broke apart when we heard a bunch of cat-calls and ohs. I ended up flipping off my friends. As did Harry. We both laughed as they all dispersed.

“I’m the luckiest person,” I sighed as I let my arms lace around Harry’s neck.

“Nope,” he smiled on my lips, “I am,” and he kissed me again.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was just something I came across on my laptop. I finished it and here ya have it. I am not sure what to feel about this. So, please let me now how it was.

Comment, Recommend, and the like. Thanks guys! :D

X Dani