‹ Prequel: My W Unit
Status: NaNoWriMo story, be patient for updates I'm wicked busy this month

Helping Terra

Simmering

The next day, Tearnyn helped Coral clean up the tavern. There were cups, plates, and napkins everywhere. Tearnyn was impressed by how chaotic the tavern turned in just one night. There were a few werewolves still passed out around the bar that she and Cora had to wake up and boot out. They grumbled a little but easily shuffled back home to their own beds.
It was around noon when Lowell sullenly walked in. Tearnyn glared at him and turned her back to continue wiping down the bar. She listened to him walk over to her and then shuffle his feet like a little pup. “Tearnyn, may I speak with you for a moment?”
Still annoyed, she replied, “I’m busy.”
“Please, it is important.”
“You have a fifteen minute break. Tearnyn, out with you.” Coral shooed her away from the bar.
Tearnyn glared at her employer before stiffly turning to face Lowell and then walking out of the tavern. Lowell ran to catch up as she did not wait for him. She finally stopped and crossed her arms over her chest. “What?”
“Hi, how are you today?” When his pleasantries failed, Lowell looked down. “I ah, wanted to say sorry about last night. I did not mean to be so rude. Sin is another male from a pack that my pack has strained relations with. Although he showed no signs of being hostile until I acted out, I still felt threatened by him and tried to show him dominance without actually fighting him. I know that was stupid but not only am I surrounded by werewolves that are not my pack, I am not in my territory and it is quite frightening. I feel like I have to prove my status and I did it less gracefully than I should have. I am sorry for how I acted towards him and especially towards you. It was extremely stupid and obscene of me to speak how I did to you. I hope you can forgive me and believe me when I say it will not happen again.”
The young woman looked at the man before her for what felt like eons. Her face was unreadable as her silver and gold eyes looked straight into him. Finally she asked, “Why didn’t you act that way towards any other male? Why didn’t you bare your teeth at Yurik? You seemed fine with everyone else but Sin.”
“I knew Yurik. I met him when you three visited and honestly he has a calming presence about him like you and Morgana. I am used to many wolves coming through Winter Birch and I have met most of the villagers from Green Willow once or twice. When you get bored of your home village, you go to another place for a little while and Winter Birch tends to be the place to go for a village such as this. The Silver Back Pack though… they are different. They never leave their territory, they rarely interact with other wolves, hell you are the first person I have ever met to be welcomed onto their land who is not part of the pack. Sin is a threat by existing because he is an unknown wolf.”
“But is as submissive as anyone can be. You weren’t trying to show him who was boss, you were making him feel like he was nothing.”
“It is better than tackling him to the ground and showing who is dominant.”
“I’ve come to find that psychological wounds tend to be far worse than any physical. At least with small puncture wounds on the neck they will heal. What you did was basically tell him that he was nothing and that his job is almost as bad as being an Omega.”
“Is it not? He is a babysitter!”
Tearnyn shook her head, “I see it as a very important job. Anyone can gather food, but someone has to look after the young while everyone else is hunter or protecting the territory. Would you really want pups with you while you’re in a fight with another wolf or yipping while you try to take down dinner? Also, that person has to be trustworthy to protect the pups that are the future of the pack, with their lives. They tend to be the one the pups look up to the most because he or she never leaves their side unless another wolf is there to watch them. To some degree they are the core of the pack. They may not rank highly, but without them the pack would have to operate very differently.”
“We do not have sitters.”
“Yes, but werewolf society also allows any pair to have children. From what I understand, only the Alpha pair is allowed to mate in wolf packs.”
“That explains some things. I was always curious why Caretaker Sin never found a mate. Wolf packs are confusing.”
“Initially they appear to be, but when you look closer they aren’t that complicated. To them, we are the strange ones.”
Lowell gave a small grin, “You being the strangest.”
“How so?”
“You have a family pack and a unit pack. Werewolves here have only one. They are either part of their ‘family’ pack or they go off to join another; never belonging to two.”
“Okay, we are a little weird.” Tearnyn conceded. “But we travel the stars and it started that way because of our military. You do a term in the military with your unit and then you return to your family. Not everyone who joins the military makes a career out of it so it makes sense to have two packs that you belong to until your term is up. We wouldn’t have Werewolf Units if it was either join a military pack or stay with your family.”
“I suppose when you put it that way it makes sense, but it is still strange to split your loyalties between two packs. Why did you join the military?”
Tearnyn leaned against a tree and sighed, “I adore my family but I was too protected. I was the only female born into the pack and was doted on constantly. My brothers would fight anyone who looked at me ‘wrong.’ It became too much and I wanted to see if I could stand on my own two feet without my family as a safety net. Now I know I can and it makes me relieved to know I can survive on my own.”
“But that is being apart of a pack. Having your pack mates, including brothers, protect you.”
“I am aware, but I felt smothered. Even werewolves will leave a pack they feel too confined in. Everyone longs for freedom.”
“If you say so.”
“I need to head back, it has been over fifteen minutes since I left.” Tearnyn looked down as she shuffled her feet.
“Sorry for keeping you… I really am sorry for how I spoke yesterday.” He looked at her sincerely.
“Try not to do it again and you should apologize to Sin rather than me.”
“Next time I see him, I will. Okay?”
“As long as you mean it. Kveðjum.” Tearnyn turned and waved. Lowell called after her a farewell but did not follow after her.
After her shift, Tearnyn left the village to visit the Silver Back Pack. She howled her intentions and started the journey to the den. Halfway to her destination, Sneak and Leaf Blend ran up beside her. They started rubbing up against her and head butted to hurry Tearnyn up. The werewolf laughed as she picked up her pace and started running; snow crunching underfoot. She slowed when she edged the Den and waited for Silver Back and Swift Strike to grant her entrance. The two Alphas walked regally over to her, sniffed everywhere, and finally scented her before plopping down in the middle of their camp to watch over the pack.
With a smile, Tearnyn entered and was immediately pounced on by the rest of the pack; excluding Sin. She greeted everyone as the excited wolves and pups hip checked each other to have her attention on them. Finally, after praising each one at least five times, she pushed them off and ordered them to go play. With a last yip, the wolves darted off and started rough housing. Only Soft Whimper stayed behind to cuddle up next to Tearnyn when she sat down next to Sin.
“Hello Sin.” Tearnyn greeted as she ran her fingers through Soft Whimper’s fur. Sin was on his back with his eyes closed. As usual he wore the bare minimum; a pair of short trousers, a light pullover shirt, and no shoes. How he was not freezing, Tearnyn would never know. When he did not answer, she poked him and said, “I know you aren’t sleeping.” Sin growled and remained as he was. She debated whether or not to push him. Normally she would, but after last night she was pretty sure he was still strung up about being surrounded by so many and having a fight with Lowell. With a sigh she replied, “Alright, simmer as you wish.” She got up and started stripping off her clothes. “Mind these for me please.” She requested before shifting to her black hole colored wolf. She shook, fluffing her fur and then dashed to play with the other wolves.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long, I started my doctorate program and my laptop broke. All's good, but I think my update after next won't be until the end of March when I have a break. I want to dedicate time to this story but with exams, classes, and another story it's going to be hard. I also want to write some backstories to get my head in the game (;D).
Please bare with me and I will do my best. Cheers!