Status: NaNo Winner! Posting the unedited version.

Shadow Morphs

S h a d o w__M o r p h_______ noun _____ sha-dō mȯrf
__: a person whose shadow can take the form of animals
__: a person with a rare mutation that grants them the magical ability to change their shadow's shape
__: [statement from government] a person who practices dark magic to change their normal shadow into an uncontrolled beast for destruction

Image

In the future, a genetic mutation causes the occasional young adult to start exhibiting a magical ability: to morph their shadow into the shape of animals. Though a Shadow Morph can see the black, smokey wisps of shadow, normal people can only see a real animal interacting with the world, anything from an angry rhino to a cuddly dog. The norms feel threatened, so much so that the government has a division in charge of searching for and capturing the Shadow Morphs.

With scary tales of what happens once captured, four friends are doing their best to stay under the radar, while still attempting to learn more about their mysterious abilities. When Taylor encounters Brett, another Shadow Morph, he claims they are all in danger and insists on training them to control their special powers, with the hope that they can build a resistance to fight for their kind's survival and acceptance.

Average Lifesaver;; has made an awesome drawing of the Shadow Morph gang.

Credit to Alice for the motivation to write this for NaNo, and to Victoria for factual aid.