Status: Active

You Made It

The First Date

“Please just let me do this, I swear you will enjoy yourself!” I rolled my eyes as my best friend, Lauren, repeated this to me for the third time. “And just because I’m at the other end of this phone, doesn’t mean I don’t know you just rolled your eyes!”

“How did you-” I started, pulling my phone away from my ear, making sure I wasn’t facetiming her by accident. “Lo, I just feel really weird about blind dates, like who even is this guy?!”

“Will you just trust me when I say he’s a good guy? Please, Lindsay?” she asked.

I sighed, deeply, “who did you say this guy was?” I finally asked.

“I knew you’d come round,” she squealed. “Anyway, he’s tall, brown hair, tattoos, in a band, sounds good, right?!” she told me, excitedly.

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Please will you just do this and be excited about it, I just know you’re going to like him,” she continued.

“Yes, Lauren, I promise,” I agreed.

“Thank you. Right, let me sort a plan for you two and I’ll text you the details.”

“Whatever, just make it fun,” I told her.

----------

I pulled through all the clothes in my closet, occasionally taking something out and throwing it onto my bed.

“If you keep throwing things on me, I won’t be able to breathe soon,” Lauren said, laying in the middle of my bed, right in the path of where I was throwing various items of clothing.

“Then get up and find me something to wear!” I told her. “I literally have no idea what to wear tonight and I asked you here to help me get ready!”

“Wear whatever you want, just look cute and he’ll love you,” she told me, getting up and walking over. After a few minutes of her going through my closet, she held a few things up and handed them to me.

“So, just remind me again, who is this guy and how do you know him?” I asked, beginning to get changed.

“Basically, my boyfriend’s brother is in a band with him,” she explained. “As soon as they told me about him, all I thought of was how he sounded perfect for you.”

“Really? I mean, like how would you even know?”

“After almost 10 years of friendship, I’d like to think I know you pretty well now, so that’s how I know.”

“Fair point,” I laughed, stepping into my shoes. “So what do you think?” I asked spinning round so she could see the outfit she picked for me.

“You look really great, he’s not going to know what hit him,” she smiled. “Now, it’s nearly 7, I should get going before he gets here.”

“Thanks for all the help getting ready, and for setting this up,” I told her.

“Don’t thank me yet, just wait until after the date,” she laughed before we hugged and she left.

Less than ten minutes later, my doorbell rang and my heart suddenly sped up. I didn’t know who was going to be behind the door and as I walked towards it, nerves we getting the best of me. My hand froze on the handle as I went to open it.

Finally, my hand turned and I pull back the door and I was so glad I did when I saw the person stood in front of me.

“Hi,” he smiled. He was just as Lauren had described, maybe even better. “I’m looking for Lindsay?”

“Well, you’ve found her,” I smiled. “You must be John.”

“I must be,” he grinned wider. “Nice to meet you,” he said, extending a hand to me, which I met and shook.

“You too,” I nodded.

“So, ready to go?” he asked.

“Yeah, let me just grab my purse, come in a sec,” I told him, as I walked towards my room and he stepped inside the door. I walked as fast as I could to my room and grab my bag and went back to meet John in the hallway.

“This is a nice house,” he commented.

“Thanks, it’s my parents but I can’t wait to move out for college,” I explained as we walked to his car.

The conversation continued as we drove through the streets of Phoenix to the restaurant that Lauren had reservations for us and I was already interested in John. This continued in the restaurant as well, and we found that we seemed to have a lot in common and I liked that. We were both 22, we both had two younger brothers, both loved reading and had a love for music, amongst other things.

“I’m starting to get a bit weirded out here, John, how is it possible for two people to be this alike?” I joked.

“I know, it’s freaky,” he laughed as he went along with the joke.

I shook my head and looked down at the table, smiling to myself as well.

“What’s so funny?” he asked, causing to me to look back at him as he grinned at me.

“Nothing...I just- you know those times when the most unfunny things are funny?” I asked, to which he nodded, so I took my cue to continue. “I think I’m having one of those right now.”

“What?” he asked, now looking confused.

“I probably shouldn’t admit this, but while I was getting ready tonight, I couldn’t decide what to wear and Lauren was at my house and I was literally covering her with my clothes and the image of her laying on my bed covered in my clothes just popped into my head” I explained. “I’m so sorry, I must seem so weird.”

“No, it’s fine, it’s nice to know you’ve got a sense of humor,” he smiled. “Most girls these days are ‘too cool’ or whatever to smile or laugh. It’s a nice change.”

I liked John, I wasn’t going to hide that. He was nice to be around, I had really enjoyed his company tonight and didn’t really want the evening to end as we walked out of the restaurant and back to his car.

He drove me back to my house and as he pulled up outside, he let out a long sigh.

“I kinda don’t want tonight to end,” he said. “I’ve really enjoyed your company, Lindsay.”

“I was literally about to say the same thing,” I smiled.

“So would you like to do this again sometime?”

“Yeah, I would,” I nodded. As I went to get out of his car, he jumped out of his side as well. “You don’t have to walk me to my door you know.”

“I know I don’t, but I’m going to,” he told me.

As we walked up my path, I smiled to myself.

“You’ve got a lovely smile, you should never waste that,” he said, as I looked to him, not realizing he caught me smiled.

“Thank you for a great night, John, I really mean it,” I told him, as we stood at my door. I looked up at him and suddenly leaned forward and pressed my lips against his briefly, like I had no control over my own body.

----------

“Second date, huh? I knew you two would like each other!” Lauren squealed down the phone.

“Lo, it’s only a second date, don’t get too excited,” I said, as I drove my car.

“So where is he taking you?”

“We’re just going to see a movie, I’m on my way to meet him now.”

“Wait, what, he’s not picking you up?!” she questioned.

“No, I’m just meeting him there, no bother,” I shrugged to myself.

“Hmmm, I’m not so sure, Linds,” she said.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, as I pulled into a parking space.

“Nothing, Linds, just go and have a good time,” she told me.

“Thanks, speak to you later,” I said, shutting off my engine and ending the call.

I looked at the clock in my car and realized I was a few minutes early so sat in my car just checking my phone for a bit. Once it hit 8pm, the time we said we’d meet, I got out of my car, grabbed my purse and made my way to the entrance. As I got closer, John was nowhere to be seen. I didn’t think anything of it, maybe he wasn’t quite as prompt as I was.

Then two minutes had passed.

Then five minutes.

And then ten.

Then it had been fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes of me standing there watching everyone walk past. Some acknowledging me. Some too deep in conversation with the people they were with. But still no John and nothing from him. No text, no call. I thought back to my conversation with Lauren earlier and how she wasn’t sure about meeting him there.

I was about to give up and head back to my car when I suddenly heard someone shout my name. Looking up, I saw a tall, lanky figure running in my direction.

“LINDSAY! Lindsay! Oh god, I’m so sorry,” he said, breathlessly, his hand on his chest. “I am so sorry I’m so late, it’s a long story. Let me explain-”

“Doesn’t matter, you’re here now,” I cut him off. “You made it.”

“I wouldn’t have missed this for the world,” John smiled as he wrapped an arm around me tightly.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story. It's going to be very short (only four chapters) and it's going have quite big time jumps between chapters, but hopefully you'll enjoy it! :)