Autumn Moon

Chapter Three

I woke up feeling groggy and slightly irritated, but that's probably due to the sun light blinding me. After Jackson's shift last night it was a while before Granny and I came home. Alpha Ronald wanted to go on a run with his newly shifted son and quite frankly it was a long one. While Granny and I waited at Alpha's house Granny talked with Luna and I knocked out on the couch. Sometime after two a.m. Alpha Ronald and Jackson came back. It was then when alpha Ronald drove Granny and I home.

It had been a long night.

Dragging myself from bed I walked out of my room to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I must still have been half asleep because the whole act of brushing my teeth didn't register to me. One minute I'm in the bathroom and the next I'm in the kitchen with a bowl of Applejacks. Slowly eating my cereal Granny walked into the kitchen looking ready to take on the day. Granny’s a morning person no doubt about it. She smiled as she walked pass me to the coffee machine.

“How’d you sleep sweetheart?” she asked while pouring herself a cup.

“Okay, still a little tired though.”

She nodded as she walked to the table. Taking a seat next to me she took the cream from the table and poured some in her coffee. “I understand, you knocked out at Ronald’s house pretty quickly.”

“It was just a long day yesterday,” I said before eating another spoonful of cereal.

Granny nodded and then froze in her spot. I watched her as her eyes looked down at the coffee like she was thinking of something. After a minute she looked at me, “Ronald will be here soon.”

I wiped my mouth with a napkin, “how soon?” I asked just as the front door opened and immediately I smelled Alpha Ronald and Jackson. The two made their way towards the kitchen and I watched as they entered, “wow. Not even a ten minute warning.”

Alpha Ronald smiled, “It looks to me like you just rolled out of bed.” He patted my head as he walked pass me towards the coffee.

I scowled at his back knowing my hair looked like a bird's nest. The last thing I expected this morning was a visit from Alpha and his newly shifted son so of course I didn't bother brushing my hair. Well I didn't bother with showering either, I was planning on doing that after eating. Alas it would appear my bad luck has struck once again.

Eating another spoonful I listened to the other chair beside me pull out of the corner if my eye I notice Jackson looking a little ragged. I would ask him why, but I highly doubt I would be graced with an answer.

"So Jackson," Granny said sitting opposite if him. "Is there going to be a future Luna Carol?"

I ignored Granny's question and chased the few last bits of my cereal with my spoon. Why are the last ones always the ones hard to get?

"Well..." Jackson trailed off as I captured my food victims. Success! "When we looked at each other I didn't feel anything. Then I remembered what you and dad had said about mates. That I can smell my mate when I close to her."

"And you didn't smell or feel anything special with Carol," Granny sounded disappointed. "That's a shame."

Poor Carol, I thought to myself while eating the last of my cereal. "There's a reason people shouldn't date before finding their mates." I said before drinking the milk from the bowl.

"Nobody asked for your thoughts," Jackson growled.

Drinking the last of my milk I put my bowl down and looked at him. "And nobody told you to get Carol's hopes up." I glared at him and we locked gazes.

If only I had my wolf I know I'd be growling back.

"Now don't start fighting like two pups," Alpha said by the coffee maker.

Jackson's gaze began to soften while I was still shooting daggers at him. "Scarlet, you have some milk at the corner if your mouth." Granny said and I broke contact with Jackson.

"Oh," I quickly licked the right corner if my mouth and got rid of the milk.

"Scarlet that was not lady like," Granny scolded me and then reached out to take hold if my chin. Tilting my head to the side she wiped off my face with a napkin and continued to scold me. As she reprimanded me about my manners, Alpha Ronald chucked at her while I was forced to face Jackson.

He watched me intently and it threw me off. His gaze wasn't the usual hated stare I'm used to, but it wasn't soft either. It was hard and a little chilling, like he was seconds away from snapping me in two. He caught me watching him and the corner if his mouth twitched.

Jackson's annoyed.

It unmistakable.

Quickly pulling away from Granny I got to my feet and grabbed my bowl. "Excuse me," I said and quickly ran to the sink to put the bowl into. Walking towards the hall I felt everyone's eyes on me, "I'm going to take a shower." I said quickly before dashing out of the kitchen.

I won't say running isn't the cowards way out, but my case is significantly unique. I'm a wolf less were, so the last thing I want to do is tick off a newly shifted wolf. Jackson hasn't even learned how to calm his wolf and hold him back yet. So the last thing I need to do is tick him off and have him shift. Granted I know he isn't going to be all, 'poof'' then bam he's a wolf. It'll be similar to last night, and with anger he'll shift faster.

Running into my room I grabbed a towel, my bathrobe, and some clean underwear. Walking out if my room into the hall I heard Granny, and Alpha Ronald began to reprimand Jackson. I smiled and walked to the bathroom.

ᶲ ᶲ


I stepped out of the shower and dried myself off as much as I can. Grabbing my clean underwear I put if on before putting my bathrobe on. Throwing my PJs in the hamper I grabbed my towel and opened the bathroom door. Humming to myself I walked to my room while towel drying my hair. I didn't smell Alpha Ronald or Granny so I guess they left.

Walking into my room I shut the door behind me and headed towards my dresser. Picking out some fall clothes I threw them over my shoulder onto my bed. Switching drawers I opened my underwear drawer and pulled out a bra when I heard something.

Someone cleared their throat.

Spinning around my eyes fell on Jackson as he laid on my bed. My clothes draped over his long legs as he looked at me. What the heck? Why didn't I smell him in here?

"I don't appreciate being pelted with clothes."

"And I don't appreciate you being in my room."

He rolled his eyes, "it's not like I'm here to peep on you." True. At the age of twelve young weres began to get accustom to nakedness. A big reason why I wasn't fazed by Jackson nude self last night, or anyone else for that matter.

"So why are you on here?" I questioned him.

"I heard something I wanted to see for myself." He said nonchalantly while eyeing me. "I heard Granny talk to my dad about you this past week. They said you got into an accident that made Dr. Norman do a lot of tests on you."

I nodded turning my back to him and taking off my bathrobe. "Yeah, that's true." I said while putting my bra on. Lucky for me the clasp is in the front so it's a quick put on.

I turned around and notice how troubled Jackson looked. "I..." He looked around the room before looking back at me. "I heard that Dr. Norman found a void in you."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Your point?"

"Is it true you don't have a wolf?"

I frowned, "it is," I could hear the sadness in my own voice. I moved towards my bed and grabbed my jeans that laid over Jackson's right leg. "I can't say I was really surprised or anything. I always had a feeling something was wrong with me. Like how I can't mind link with the entire pack and how I can't shift."

I started putting my jeans on, "is that why you always layer on clothes?" Jackson asked.

"Yup. No wolf, no extreme body heat."

"I guess it also explains why my dad always wanted me around you when we were young." Jackson mumbled. When we were younger Alpha Ronald told Jackson to stick by me. That if anything happened to me that he had to call him with the mind link. Jackson was far from pleased, and one day he pinned me to the ground yelling in my left ear, 'Stupid wolf! Stupid stray! Call my dad by yourself!' After that Jackson kicked dirt in my face and ran off to play with his friends.

It's obvious to say Alpha Ronald, Luna Lisa, and Granny were not happy. Especially when Beta Jarvis found me crying, face covered in dirt, at the edge of the woods. Jackson was dragged home after that and was immodestly grounded. I was ten years old back then and when I finally turned thirteen I was able to mind link with Alpha Ronald. I don't know how it happened, but it just did.

Buttoning my jeans I heard him shift on my mattress. "So if you have no wolf then how can you run fast and able to smell scents?"

I shrugged, "my Anatomy is a mystery."

"Okay," he reached under my pillow and pulled out a grey shirt. "Second question. Why us Darien's shirt in here?"

Jackson held Darien's shirt up for me to see. Immediately yesterday's incident came flooding back making me internally shiver. "Do you remember what happened when I went over to your house yesterday?"

He scowled, “Sadly yes.”

“Well there was no way I was going to leave the house smelling like you.” I felt awkward remembering the heated kiss, “Those girls would have killed me if they smelled your scent on me.” My thoughts went to Darien and I felt a blush keep up onto my face, “Darien was nice enough to give me his shirt and-” I was cut off by a vicious growl.

"You let him put his scent on you?"

"Yeah, he said it was okay. It's not like I was offending his mate. He doesn't have one."

Jackson looked pissed as he sat up straighter on my bed. "Don't you ever put his scent on you again."

I blinked a few times in surprise on his attitude. "What the hell? Who are you to tell me what to do?" I snapped.

"I don't want you smelling like him," he yelled. Jackson held up the grey shirt, "and I don't want you collecting his clothes."

"Give it back," I said stepping forward as he got off my bed. He held it up out of my reach making me jump. "Give it now, Jackson."

"No," I felt his chest rumble as I jumped up. Not paying attention I knocked him over and we both tumbled onto the mattress.

Reaching out quickly I caught myself on my headboard and avoided falling into Jackson. Somehow during the fall Darien's shirt escaped Jackson's hold and landed on my face. "Real mature Jackson," I snapped and then I froze.

A hot breath floated over my chest.

My bare chest.

My boob!

I stiffened and listened to the odd breathing coming from Jackson. I guess during our confirmation my bra must have popped open. This is not good, red alert, red alert! Time to move off the jerk, I repeat, move off the jerk, my inner voice screamed. Slightly moving back I felt his hand shot up and grabbed onto my waist making me freeze once again. I gasped when he held me in place and suddenly my nose was filled with Darien’s scent. Darien’s scent made my heart flutter and stomach do a backflip, and I’d bet money if I had my wolf I would be purring. Instead my thoughts filled up with Darien and instead of thinking about Jackson holding onto me it was suddenly Darien.

Darien holding onto me, Darien’s hot breath tickling my chest, Darien’s uneven breathing ringing in my ear.

I arched my back suddenly feeling the need to get closer and I heard him catch his breath at my movement. He gulped and I felt the bed shift a little, his leg brushing against mine right before I felt his hot breath closer to me. I shivered somehow knowing he moved his face closer to me, his lips centimeters away from kissing me breast. My grip on the headboard tightened as his hands traveled slowly up my body making me catch my breath. It was like he was teasing me and it made me whimper. I don’t like it when Darien teases me.

Suddenly I was thrown off my bed and I hit the floor with a loud thump. The shirt was thrown off my face letting me see Jackson’s back right before my bedroom door slammed shut as he left. Reality set in making all my blood rush to my face. I just had an intimate moment with the person who hates me the most while thinking of that person’s best friend, who happens to be the one I really like.

My hands shot up and I covered my face feeling extremely embarrassed. Being naked isn’t really a big deal in the pack, but it kind of is when you encounter… eh… when… Ah, I can’t event think straight. As weres we don’t really think nudity is a big deal, but it is when you get all touchy feely with the opposite sex while they’re naked. Or in my case, half-naked. Bringing my legs up to my chest I buried my face wanting to disappear. Two days in a row have I been in awkward situations with Jackson, and I only hope there isn’t a third encounter.

My door creaked and I looked up to see Jackson standing in the doorway, looking extremely uncomfortable. He looked down at me, his blue eyes pinning me in my spot with a hard stare. “It was my wolf,” he said abruptly. “We really hoped Carol was our mate and he was excited only to be let down. He’s antsy and with what just happened I couldn’t control him.” I nodded but I couldn’t tell if what he was saying was the truth. His hard stare made me avoid looking in his eyes to confirm what he was saying.

“Let’s just forget about it,” I said looking away from him, “We’ll just forget about this and what happened yesterday. None of it ever happened.”

“I understand,” his voice sounded cold, “Anyways Granny and dad wants me to take you to the festival grounds. Time for you to go practice with the pups while everyone sets up,” I once again nodded. “Since we don’t exactly have time for you to take another shower you’ll just have to ride on my back.” At this I looked at him to see Jackson leaning against me doorframe with his arms crossed. I must have a big question mark on my face because he scowled, “You smell like me. The only way to justify it is if we arrive at the ground with you riding on my back. No one will think twice of it.”

“That’s true,” I mumbled thinking of how it would be arriving on Jackson’s back. The entire pack knows how we don’t see eye to eye. So arriving on Jackson may cause a little talk amongst the people, but nothing too bad. If I were to go separate from Jackson and smell like him those gossipy moms could get the wrong idea and spread it to the entire pack. “Okay I’ll get dressed quickly then.”

“Good,” he turned to leave but then stopped to look back at me, “Thanks for last night.”

“For what?”

“For straightening my spine,” his voice seemed less cold now, his gaze not as hard. “Doctor Parker and Doctor Norman told me if you hadn’t straightened me my ribs would have been crocked to the point of stabbing my heart. So thanks.” Without letting me reply he walked out closing the door behind him.

ᶲ ᶲ


The Harvest Moon festival is very important to our pack. Kind of like the Fourth of July or Christmas. Almost everyone in the pack has something to do related to the festival. Some adults and older teens were setting up stands for food and games. Elders set up few stands for stories and crafts to sell, like masks. Then there was the stage where the high ranking young male weres stood.

During the festival high ranking, shifted, weres perform The Earth and The Moon song. The males play these huge drums, bare chested, with a fur pelts and wooded wolf masks. The pelts and masks symbolizing the ancestors of our pack. It's an act that consists of five guys to represent different moon phases. The guys are usually accompanied by a small group of children that sing at the beginning and do a short dance at the end. Thanks to Alpha Ronald I will be teaching the dance to the pups.

"Scarlet! Scarlet!" A blonde girl ran up to me crying. With her arms out stretched she ran into me, gripping my jeans.

"May," I touched her head in a calming fashion. "What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

She sniffles, "Tony p-pulled my h-hair." I finally noticed how one of her pig tails was messed up.

I looked up to see a certain brown haired boy laughing with his two buddies. I narrowed my eyes at him and as if he felt my eyes the pup turned and saw me. Raising my hand I curled my finger calling him over to me and he started walking towards me with his head down. Clearly Tony realized he was in trouble and so did his friend when they, ‘oh’ed him.

Tony stopped in front of me still looking at the ground, “Tony,” I said with my voice sounding stern. “Why did you pull May’s hair?”

“I don’t know,” he said towards the ground.

“Well you need to say sorry.”

He looked up, “No.”

“Say sorry or the Earth spirit will come and get you,” his face paled. The Earth spirit within the packs is supposed to be a wolf responsible for the forest’s growth. Though it is said that back in the ancient days the Earth spirit crept into packs at night and stole children from their beds for disrespecting members within the pack. Apparently the Earth spirit used to think disrespectful pups did not deserve to live within his territory, because all forests belong to it. It’s easy to say the Earth spirit is kind of like the boogeyman for the pups.

Tony looked scared, “But-but, I don’t want to say sorry.”

“You poop head,” May said, her eyes brimming with new tears, “you hurt me. M-my head really, really hurts now.” She started crying again and put her hands up to her face to rub her eyes. I looked at Tony and he seemed a little lost on what to do.

Only eight years old and he doesn’t know how to deal with a crying girl. Boy does this look familiar.

“I-I-I” he looked between me and May. “I-I DON’T WANT THE EARTH SPIRIT TO GET ME!” he shouted, turned around, and ran into the forest.

“Tony!” I shouted after him as he disappeared in the trees.

“No!” May let go of me, “You get back here you stupid head!” she ran after Tony leaving shocked.

I looked at the direction they disappeared and then back at the small group of pups I’m in charge of. Looking between the children and the trees I pulled the ends of my hair feeling stressed. I’m responsible for all the pups, and I need to go after May and Tony.

“Boo,” I jumped and turned around to find Darien looking at down at me.

“Darien!” I yelled, “Perfect.”

“Huh?” he looked confused and I pointed to the children.

“Watch them. I’ll be back,” I dashed off into the woods hearing my named being yelled after me. Once again I’m going into the woods without someone with me. Alpha Ronald will probably chew me out later, but I need to get the children back. Hopefully that will count for something and I won’t be punished severely. Running in the direction of their scent I started calling their names. Hopefully with them still being little they won’t run too far. “Tony! May!” I yelled while jumping over a branch. With the cold air my breath came out like clouds in front of me. My heart was beating fast, my pace picking up speed, and my nose twitched a little as I followed the pups’ scents. Slowly their scents got stronger and I felt a little bit calmer as May’s blonde hair poked around a tree. Soon enough Tony’s brown head came to view. Running past the few trees left I saw them standing together, Tony in front of May, both their backs to me.

“Tony, May,” I said in relief as I approached them. I looked at them when it hit me. Fear, I smell fear. Following the direction they were looking I froze in my spot as I came eye to eye with a grey wolf. It was bigger than a normal wolf and it didn’t look like a member of the pack. Rouge. Slowly coming up behind May and Tony I reached out and touched May’s shoulder making her jump.

Quickly she looked at me, “Scarlet,” she whimpered.

Tony glance back at me and the looked back at the wolf, “I said I’m sorry. Why won’t it go away?” he sounded scared. “Why won’t the spirit go away?”

I moved in front of Tony and May taking the rouge attention off of them. “Run back to the festival Tony. Take May with you and find someone,” I said watching the rouge. Its eyes never left me, “Go.”

Clearly Tony didn’t have to be told twice, but May did. She latched onto me and only moved when Tony finally pried her off me. I listened to them run into the woods behind me while making sure the rouge didn’t take off after them. Slowly the rouge started coming towards me and I felt a surge a panic. I’m in no position to defend myself. There is no way for me to out run a wolf, and there is no way I can defend myself with a stick. I’m screwed. Standing perfectly still I let it walked up to me since I know not to be stupid and fight an already lost battle. It big head barely reached passed my shoulders and I couldn’t help but feel off by it.

The rouge lowered its head in an nonthreatening way as it came up to me. I don’t know why but my eyes went to it paws and I noticed they looked awkwardly bigger then it’s legs. Like an overgrown puppy that has adorable cute paws.

This is not right, I thought as it moved its head to nuzzle my cheek. With the new closeness its scent filled my nose and suddenly I recognized the wolf. No doubt it was the same one from a week ago when I fell asleep in the woods. I touched his head earning a purr in return. It’s odd feeling this comfortable with a rouge feeling -dare I say- safe.

Maybe, just maybe he knows something about what happened to me last week. Maybe he knows why I woke up in the forest.

He might know but then again there is something not right with him. His wolf’s size is off. A full grown wolf should be able to easily overshadow me and he isn’t.

“Who are you?” I asked as growling came behind me. It wasn’t from just one wolf either, but many and from the way the rouge backed away from me it was clear my pack was on the attack. Slowly the rouge backed away whimpering and quickly getting close to the ground till he was lying on his stomach. His fear flooded my senses making me antsy. Quickly running to his side I stood between him and my pack to defend him. Looking at my pack my eyes fell on a black wolf with blue eyes.

Jackson.

He growled at me and moved his head as if telling me to get away from the rouge. He probably was telling me that, but I just can’t hear him. I shook my head and his growl got even louder. “Don’t hurt him!” I shouted at Jackson and he snarled at me. “Look at him Jackson! Look at him! He isn’t normal. He’s isn’t a full grown wolf!” Jackson’s ears twitched and he looked at the rouge that was whimpering on the ground. “He’s isn’t eighteen yet! He’s still a child!” Jackson made his noise like a huff. He doesn’t believe me. Turning to the rouge I gave him a small smile, “shift.” He looked up at me and whimpered, “Don’t worry. As long as I’m here they won’t attack you.” With a final whimper the rouge got to his feet and shuddered.

He began to shift back into his human form, and after five minute there he stood. A boy kneeling on the ground, tasseled dark brown hair, hazel eyes and a face full of concern. He didn’t look a day over fifteen. Kneeling down to eye level I watched him closely. “What’s your name?”

He looked at me with a frown on his face before looking at the ground. Moving his hand he wrote in the dirt and then looked at me. Pointing at the ground I looked down and saw what he wrote.

Harvey.

I looked at him confused, “why write?”

He gave me a sad smile and started writing in the dirt making me look back at the ground.

I’m a mute.

“You’re mute?” I looked back up at him and I found him staring at me intently, like he was curious. “What is it? Do I have something on my face?”

He shook his head and went back to writing in the dirt. He wrote quickly and when he was done he smiled and pointed at me to read.

You’re just like he said you were. You’re very kind and smell like cinnamon apples.

I looked at him and noticed how he was reaching out to touch me. He seemed hesitant and just when his hand was inches from my face Harvey was tackled by a black blur.

Jackson.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... any thoughts on Jackson yet?

Tell me what you think!

Comment, Subscribe, and Recommend