Autumn Moon

Chapter Six

Everyone gathered in the biggest barricade room our underground has. The room is the size of a gymnasium with bunk beds set up in the far side of the room. Teens, children, and pregnant women went chatted away wonder what’s going on above ground. The atmosphere clearly saturated with worry. Worry from parents, mates, friends.

Opening the door I walked into the hall where Trent waited for me. Once in the hall I closed the door behind me and found him leaning against the opposite of me. His sandy blonde hair dripped in front of his green eyes as he watched me walk in front of him.

“What’s the news?”

“Rouges are attacking in full force guerrilla warfare. According to what I’m hearing there are too many of them to count.”

I tugged nervously on the end on my sleeve, “Shouldn’t you go and help then? The entrances are pretty well hidden. The only way a rouge would find us is if they are looking for the underground bunkers.”

He shook his head, “Luna gave me specific orders to watch over you.”

“Me?” I raised a single eyebrow, “I thought you are here to protect everyone.”

“Zeke is here to protect everyone and quite frankly so am I, but my main priority is you.”

“Why?”

“You are the Alphas’ daughter and need attention regarding security.”

“You know I’m no more Alphas’ daughter than the rest of the pack.”

Trent moved off the wall and stood straight in front of me. His height over shadowing me, “You are Alphas’ daughter. To me and the rest of the pack.”

“But you know I’m not.”

He eyed me, “Haven’t you ever heard the expression family isn’t blood, but the one’s you’re willing to die protecting?”

“Never heard it.”

“Well now you have,” he reached out, spun me around and pushed me towards the door. “Now go back inside. Zeke and a couple of other guys are patrolling the halls. If anything happens I want you to be in the room with the others.”

I opened the door and he pushed me in without another word. The door slammed shut behind me and I scowled at the floor. Trent is such a hard head and when it comes to were duties he’s as stubborn as a mule. Looking up at the rest of the pack Trent’s words drifted in my head.

“You are Alphas’ daughter. To me and the rest of the pack.”

Do they really think of me as a member of the Alpha family? A defective were such as me? I always thought they just tolerated me or just didn’t give me a second thought. But to think of me as the daughter of Alpha. Am I qualified to have such a title? A wolf-less were a member of the Alpha family. The words don’t fix. I don’t fix. It doesn’t make sense. I don’t make sense.

A wolf-less were

A wolf-less were.

Lycanthrope, a shifter that takes the form of a wolf. Lycanthropes are shifters and I don’t shift.

Two pups ran past me giggling while playing tag. Pups, the vision I had, the memory. It was me shifting for the first time. My hand gripped the fabric covering my chest without me thinking. For some odd reason with the memory came phantom pains that made my bones ache deep inside me.

I want to know more, I want to know more. I tried thinking, pushing my brain to conjure up anything it might me holding back from me. Let me remember.

‘Stop,’ the deep voice from before invaded my head. ‘Don’t push yourself, it’s not time yet.’

‘I want to know now.’

‘Scarlet stop.’ There was so much worry in his voice that I didn’t understand till I opened my eyes. The room spun, my balance felt off that I let my back hit the door with a thud. A few people turned to look at me while my legs gave out making me slide down the door. Nonetheless I kept pushing. ‘Stop it. You can’t force your way past the seal.’

Seal?

My head slumped to the side in time to see Harvey running towards me before I blacked out.

ᶲ ᶲ


“Scarlet!” I listened to a gruff voice call out to me while I hid behind a tree. My hair tickled my face as I peeked out around the bark. A tall man stood not that far from me. His bare back faced me as he placed his hand on his jean covered hips. “Come out Rose bud I can smell you hiding around here.” I giggled and then gasped Abel turned around spotting me. He tilted his head and gave a slow smile to me making me smile. “Come here pup.”

I laughed and ran to him through all the branches and dead leaves. Abel got to his knees and picked me up when I got enough to him. Swinging me around in the air I laughed louder as he brought me close to him. “You found me!”

“Didn’t I say not to wander off when I’m not around?”

I pouted, “But I didn’t go far this time.”

He looked at me, “Scarlet, what did Cooper and I tell you?”

“Not all wolves are nice,” I mumbled.

“And?”

“Little pups shouldn’t be by themselves in the woods.”

“Because?”

“Pups get taken away or killed,” I looked up at Abel. “But you are super-duper strong Abby. You’ll always protect me.”

Abel grinned a toothy grin, “You bet your pretty little head I’ll protect you. No wolf is gonna mess with my little Rose bud without finding their neck in my jaws.”

I held my hands and pretended they were claws, “Grr.”

Abel laughed a deep rich laugh, “Just like that, but a little bit more intimidating.” He adjusted me in his arm and started walking. “So what were you doing out here Scar?”

“Trying to catch a rabbit,” I said wrapping my arms around his neck.

“You trying to catch dinner?”

“No! I wanted it to be my pet,” I watched the forest floor as Abel left footprints in the mud. “Why do we eat bunnies and deer Abby?”

“We are rouges Scarlet,” Abel said rubbing my back. “We eat what we can find like deer, bunnies, squirrels and chipmunks. Moose is good too.”

“I like fish more than squirrels,” I pulled back to face him and poked his cheek. “It’s spikey.”

“Oh, I didn’t shave today.”

I ran my hand over his face, “You like a spikey mole.”

“You mean a porcupine.”

“You’re a porcupine Abby!”

He faked gasped, “I am not! I’m a big mean wolf.”

“Then what am I?” I grabbed his nose and he laughed making his voice sound weird.

He took my hand off his nose, “You? You’re little Red Riding Hood being protected by the big bad wolf.”

“Then what am I?” I grabbed his nose and he laughed making his voice sound weird.

He took my hand off his nose, “You? You’re little Red Riding Hood being protected by the big bad wolf.” Abel stopped walking and looked at the big bushes next to us, “What are you skulking around for?” Abel growled holding me tight to him.

A large black wolf growled as he came out of the bushes. ‘There is something I need to talk to you about.’

“And it couldn’t wait till after I brought Scarlet back to the cave?”

‘Don’t talk to me like I’m below you,’ the wolf growled. ‘Remember who I am.’ I flinched and hugged Abel tighter. When Liam gets mad he gets scary.

“You’re scaring her,” Abel growled

Liam’s big head looked at me, ‘The night is coming pup, and you need to return to the cave.’

“I can’t go by myself,” I gripped onto Abel.

“Can’t this wait?” Abel asked sounding a little mean.

‘No.’ Liam growled whipping his head and stomping his paw. ‘We need to talk now.’

“Don’t growl at me in front of her,” Abel growled barring his teeth. His K9’s looking sharper than a human’s. They both started growling at each other to the point I could feel Abel’s bones begin to crack.

“No,” I whispered hugging Abel’s neck, “I don’t want you to fight. Don’t change.”

Abel’s growling died down a little as he stroked my hair, “Cooper take her and make sure she bathes before turning in.”

Leaves crunched as Abel pulled me off of him and placed me on Cooper’s furry back. Cooper’s grey fur tickled my hands as I held onto him. “Abby?” I looked at Abel and he gave me a small smile.

‘Hold on little rose bud,’ Cooper said and then took off into the woods. Looking behind me Abel’s back got smaller and smaller with the distance and still my body shook. Anger was in the air.

ᶲ ᶲ


Cooper stopped at the lake and laid down so I could get off of him. I slid off his back and turned around watching him change back to normal. His fur stood on end as it went back into his body; his bones cracked loudly as the rearranged themselves, and his face shrunk back into his head. As he changed I sat on the ground just watching him turn back into his human side.

Sitting on the ground I picked at some blades of grass waiting till he was down changing. Looking up at the orange sky I listened to the chatter of the wild life. The birds chirping, the fish splashing in the water, and the squirrels running around on the ground.

“So,” I looked up and saw Cooper starting to stand up. “Ready for your bath?”

“No,” I smiled.

“Well that’s just too bad,” Cooper walked over to me and kneeled down. “Now start stripping Scarlet. We need to get you cleaned up for dinner and then it’s bed time.”

I pouted, “But I’m not tired yet.”

“Then that’s your problem,” he flicked my nose, “hurry and take your clothes off. We can’t be late or someone else will steal our piece of buck.” I stuck my tongue out at him and started taking my dirty clothes off. “There’s a good girl.”

“I’m just being good because Abel said it was bath time.”

Cooper frowned, “Oh so it’s because Abel says so. What about me? Am I not important?” Cooper turned around looking sad. Oh no, Cooper’s sad!

“No you’re important! Really important!” I held up my hands, “Super important!”

“You’re lying.”

I shook my head, “No I’m not. Abel’s the important one.”

“No you are important! You play with me, feed me, and give me baths. Cooper is important!” Cooper turned around and smiled down at me. “Alright then bud.” Cooper picked me up, “Time for your bath.”

I looked at Cooper’s brown hair as he walked to the water. “Your hair’s dirty.”

“Well I’ve been scouting around today,” he walked us into the water.

“Cool did you find anything?” Cooper placed me in the water.

"I discovered a pack territory about five hours from here." Cooper placed me on a smooth stone letting the water come up to my chest. "It's a big, strong pack. I figure I'll let Liam know later so we don't cross their territory."

A fish swam up to me making bubbles with its mouth. "How strong are they?" I opened my hand under water for the fish to swim to.

"Really strong."

"Strong like Abel?" The fish swam away making the water splash.

"Strong like Abel and Liam," Cooper spilled water over my head. "It's a big piece of land so they must have a lot of members."

"Are packs really big?"

"Yes, sometimes a pack has fifty to a hundred wolves." He rubbed my head, "what did you do today Scar? Roll in dirt? "

"No! I was playing hide and seek with the boys." I looked up at Cooper.

He narrowed his eyes. "I told you to stay away from those two."

"But I was bored and you were gone. Abby was also busy." He spilt more water over my head.

"Those boys are trouble, especially Liam's boy." Cooper stopped talking making me look at him. Cooper was looking at the trees and soon a woman walked out holding a basket.

Cooper relaxed and I stood up, "Kat!" I waved at her and she waved back.

"I brought the shampoo and clothes!" She called back. I smiled and looked down at Cooper who was shaking his head.

“Sit back down,” he pulled me down so I was sitting in the water again. “If you’re still this hyper I feel like it’s going to take me forever to put you to sleep.”

ᶲ ᶲ


“Scarlet,” my body shook and slowly I woke up. “Scarlet wake up,” Cooper said.

My nose twitched and my eyes snapped open at then scent that invaded me. “C-Cooper.” I looked at him. His gold eyes glowed in the dark cave, his dark hair matted down on his face, and he reeked of blood. “You’re hurt.” I got up from my grass bed and kneeled in front of him trying to find a cut.

“We need to leave Scarlet,” he took my hand and lifted me to my feet. “Something bad happened.”

We started running to the mouth of the cave, “Where’s Abel?”

“Abel,” a growl came from behind me and Cooper jerked me away. Falling to the ground I watched as claws came from Cooper’s hand. The wolf growled and went to bite Cooper, but Cooper moved faster and went for the throat. My eyes widened as wet red stuff fell on my face. Cooper’s hand went straight through the wolf’s throat with a wet, squishy sound.


ᶲ ᶲ


“Scarlet!” my eyes popped open and I found myself looking up at some pups. “She’s awake!” Tony said with a smile spreading across his face.

Slowly I sat up noticing a crowd of people around me. It would seem my little spell got the attention of a lot of people. Letting out a breath I leaned up against the pillows as I tried to make sense of what just happened. Wait, pillows? “Did someone move me?”

Tony nodded, “Trent moved you to the bunk beds.”

Trent, huh? Guess I’ll have to thank him later. Nodding I touched my head, “So what’s going on?”

“We should be asking you,” a teen girl cut in. “You just collapsed by the door and that new boy freaked out.”

“Harvey?” I looked around the crowd trying to find him, “Where is he?”

“He went with May to find you some water.” I got up and everyone shifted with my movement, “Don’t get up. We don’t know what happened to you. You may have a concussion or something.”

I pushed past her feeling the need to get up. "How long have I been out?"

"An hour," the girl said following me. An hour? I don't feel like I've been out for an hour, five minutes feels more like it.

"I need to talk to Trent." I need to know how the others are doing above ground.

"He's in the hall," Tony grasped my hand tugging me through the crowd.

"And where is Carol?" I asked looking around the crowd.

"She went to help one of the moms tend to a baby." Tony said as we quickly crossed the large space. People didn't stop us making our little trip to the door quick.

"How long ago did May and Harvey leave for water?"

Tony hummed stopping in front of the door.

"Awhile ago so they should be coming back soon."

I hope so. I don't want anyone wondering around the halls while we're under attack.

Placing my hand on the door I slightly opened it when I froze. A strange, foreign, dirty, earthy scent drifted through the door's crack. Along with the dirt there was the stench of blood mixed into the air. My body shot a chill through me instantly.

Foreign, dirt, and blood. Rouges.

My nose twitch with the threatening scents as I tried to close the door without drawing attention. Just before the door click shut I felt a force on the other side. Someone's holding the door handle.

They pushed a little and for some reason my body wouldn't move. My hand stayed clamped on the handle feeling it move. My body took on a mind of it's own trying to keep the door from fully opening.

Nudge, nudge

"I can smell you on the other side," a raspy growl erupted through the crack. My body jolted as if being zapped to wake up. "Move, I've come to return something." There was a deep chuckle, "more like someone."

"H-Help," a child whispered and my heart dropped. May.

Reluctantly I took a step back as the door opened letting the scent of Rouges drift in. My nerves started acting up at the sight of a burly man dragging Zeke's limp body in by the hairs on his head. Still I did not smell death on him and at that my eyes shot to a leaner but muscular Rouge. In his grip I watched May squirm around trying to get free. The man tugged on her small arm and I grounded my teeth at how rough he was handling her.

My instincts were screaming at me. Hollering to rescue her, but I didn't want to risk her safety if I make a wrong move. Beside I could feel Tony's anxiety like a static ball of electricity. He knew she was in danger and just like me he wanted her away from the rouges.

Though another thing kept swimming around in my head. Where are Harvey and Trent?

Pushing Tony behind me I made sure there was good distance between us and the rouges. I counted the men that entered the room.

Seven.

Seven grown fully shifted wolves in a group of unshifted Weres. They can easily wipe us out.

"Now, now," a tall, lean, muscle guy stepped forward. "There's no need to be so tense here." His brown eyes scanned the crowd.

"What do you want?" I asked gaining the rouge's attention.

"Nothing much, I'm just looking for an old friend of mine."

"Our pack doesn't associate with your kind. So release May and Zeke and leave here."

The rouge watched me with a sly smile on his face. "You see that's where you’re wrong. We have information that this pack is sheltering one of our own."

Harvey? "I don't think so."

"Trust me it's true." He looked at the entire room, "the one were looking for is female. Probably join your pack out if the blue years ago as a child. She was most likely accompanied by an adult male." He stepped forward, "brown eyes and brown hair. Skin should be fair, pale almost." He paced, "her scent is like rain on night blooms. Sweet and refreshing."

"There is no one like that here," I said turning my attention to Zeke and May. "Release them."

"One more thing. If she hasn't changed her name should go by Scarlet." My blood drained out of my face as I felt a few eyes turn on me.

My hearing suddenly became keener as I listened to the rouge's footsteps.

One... Two... Three... Four... Five... Six...

The rouge stood in front of me. "I don't know you." I whispered,

He leaned forward and inhaled my scent, "you smell different." He leaned in closer to the point where he licked my neck. I jumped in place, "But you still taste the same." He sighed against my ski. And I watched as his shoulders visibly slumped. "We been searching for you so long," he nuzzle his nose against my neck. "Now we can all be together."

"I don't understand."

Immediately he pulled back and grasped my wrist. "We have her, time to return." At that Zeke's body dropped to the ground and May was release. I wanted to check to see if she was at all hurt, but the rouge held on to me tight. Tugging, pulling, practically dragging me out the door.

Everyone watched in horror as I was being taken away down the hall.

"Where are you taking me?" I hissed at my captor.

"To your mate of course," his words held so much certainty I felt like I was slapped.

My what?

His grip moved from my wrist to my forearm, “Scarlet!” the rouges stopped walking and we all turned around. Carol stood in the hall holding an axe. “You won’t take her. She’s part of our pack, she’s our Alpha’s precious daughter.”

“Carol,” I whispered her name, “Carol don’t do anything stupid.” I screamed at her.

She shook her head, “Alpha Ronald, Luna, Granny and even Jackson won’t forgive me if I just let them take you.”

A rouge stepped away from the group and slowly began approaching her. “Smell the air Carol! They reek of blood.” The rouge stopped and got to the ground, his naked body began contorting. He’s shifting and faster than normal. I tried fighting the rouge off me to get to Carol, but he held on tight to me like iron. “Don’t hurt her! Don’t you dare touch her!”

A full grown wolf stood between Carol and I. Carol held the axe in front of her staring down her opponent, but I could smell her fear.

“We will not let anyone interfere,” The rouge holding me said and just like that the wolf lunged. Carol swung and missed as the wolf ducked and clamped his jaws on her right leg. Carol screamed and he tugged and brought her to the floor. My eyes watched her blood stain the rouge’s fangs as she screamed.

“Haven’t you ever heard the expression family isn’t blood, but the one’s you’re willing to die protecting?”

Carol’s body was being whipped around by the rouge, her skin ripping apart, and the flashing of white bone being shown every now and then.

“Stop,” I turned to the one holding me, “stop and I’ll go with you. I won’t resist or scream, just make him stop.”

He looked at me and I watched a flash of something go through his brown eyes. “Prove it.”

I moved my free hand, took all my hair and moved it to one side baring my neck to him. The ultimate sigh of submission in the Were community. He narrowed his eyes and slowly got closer to me, his hot breath warming my skin as Carol’s screams rang in my ear. Something sharp dragged across my skin and I whimpered recognizing the power he held over me. “Please – make him release her.”

He remained at my neck just taking in my scent when I heard something.

Whimpering, the sound of a dog whining, a struggle and then finally a loud crack erupted behind me followed by a heavy thud.

Silence.

Everything went quiet except for the sound of breathing.

Someone took a step behind me, “Malcom,” the person behind me said.

The rouge moved away from my neck and let out a calming breath. “Good job.”

Worried for Carol I turned my head to see the wolf’s neck twisted in an unusual angle as Carol lay in a pool of her own blood. My heart dropped and I could feel the tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

“Come on,” I felt a tug on my arm and like a robot my legs just started moving. “We’re leaving this territory.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this took so long. My semester is winding down and I'm swamped with projects and papers for school.

I still hope you enjoyed this chapter.
So comment and tell me what you think!


[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ybg9YWroag[/youtube]