Autumn Moon

Chapter Seven

Two hours of running through the woods with these rouges made me exhausted. Fearing anyone else would get hurt I kept my word and remained obedient. However the first thing I did when we left the bunker was try I contact Alpha Ronald. Either his wall was up or something bad happened to him. Lost in thought I tripped over a branch.

"Careful," the rouge holding onto me move his hand from my arm to my waist steadying me. "I don't want you to fall on me."

Nodding I straighten up. "Why me?"

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"You said you were looking for some and then you described that person's scent. Despite having the same name I don't have the same scent of the one you want."

He eyed me, "trust me. You're the Scarlet I'm looking for. You're my Scarlet."

"But how are you sure?"

"Whatever happened to you. Whatever was done to change your scent didn't affect the way you taste." I gave a confused look. "When you were small your skin tasted like warm honey. Even now it does."

A blush spread across my face and he smiled in a smug way. His K9’s gleaming in the moonlight as I cursed myself inside my head. As a captive I shouldn’t be blushing at my kidnapper. Trying to recompose myself I cleared my throat, "I don't know your name."

His smile faltered, "I guess they did more than change your scent." He frowned, then shook his head making my eyes narrow in on his hair that slightly flopped around. "Malcolm. I'm Malcolm and don't you dare forget."

I made myself look him in the face, but he was looking away from me to his men. Unconsciously I nodded, "Malcolm. Got it."

He nodded once and for the first time since we left the bunker he released me and walked away. I watched him walk, his bare back grabbing my attention. I can clearly see his defined muscles flex as he moved. With that in mind somewhere inside was whispering to me to look lower and it unsettled me. Wolves don’t overly sexualize each other like humans do and so we aren’t really compelled to gawk at nudeness. Yet as I crossed my arms and turned around I felt my fingers twitch with anxiety of wanting to look.

It was hard to distract myself as all the rouges wandered around me naked, one was even peeing in the bushes not that far from me. It made me cringe as well get slightly mad. A rouge urinating on my pack’s territory it’s only natural I’d get mad. My mouth clenched as I looked up at the moon and observed it’s red color.

Red.

Blood.


Carol, I left her bleeding in the bunker hall and Zeke was beaten and was probably bleeding while unconscious. May’s most likely really traumatized right now after being held hostage and Goddess only knows what happened to Harvey and Trent. I can only hope they weren’t killed. It’s clear these rouges have no problem killing since Malcolm had that man’s neck snapped at the drop of the hat. I can only imagine how many members of the pack have gotten injured while fighting these rouges. On the way here I listened to the howls and snarls of those fighting as well as smelt the blood in the air.

Letting out a breath I tried once again to contact Alpha Ronald but once again it was useless. Though instead of being blocked I realized something. I am now too far from the pack to contact anyone and that means I am probably not that far from our borders. Looking around in the dark my eyes fell on the trees and their trunks. Glancing around I slowly approached the tree nearest me and found it’s mossy side. North. There is another pack north of here, the Crow pack is good friends of the Jade pack. From time to time their Alpha Isaac comes over for dinner so I’m well acquainted with him and his family.

No doubt if I run to them and these rouges follow me and I would put the Crow pack in jeopardy, but if my pack is tracking me I can trapped the rouges on Isaac’s land. The plan sounds good, but there is still a problem. How am I going to out run these rouges? Crow territory is a good four hours from me and in between that is free land.

I looked back at Malcolm and noticed he was talking some guy. He shook his head as if disagreeing to something before pointing out to the woods. The moment I get the chance I’ll make a run for it, mate or no mate I won’t stay with someone that attacked my pack.

'Scarlet,' a deep voice said in my head, but it wasn't Alpha. 'Where are you?'

'They took me,' I whispered.

'They? They who?' the mysterious voice asked.

I watched Malcolm as he spoke to his comrades. 'A group of rouges.'

The voice growled, 'Did they tell you anything? Anything at all?'

'One of them told me his name. It's Malcolm.'


The growling got louder, ‘damn that mutt to hell.’ I could feel the anger in his words, ‘Listen to me and don’t trust anything he says.’

‘He says he is taking me to my mate, and that we are all going to be back together.’
And just like that the voice snarled viciously.

‘Over my dead body,’ he snarled making me flinch. ‘If he tries anything I can promise his neck in my jaw and his blood on my fangs.’ Malcolm turned his head and looked eyes with me, a coy smile decorating his face. ‘No matter what do not let him take you to this supposed mate.’

Despite already planning on escaping once clear of my territory I couldn’t help but wonder. ‘What happens if they take me?’

It was silent and I got worried, ‘Then they have chosen their fate but until I come for you I want to ask you. Do you trust me?’

‘Even though I don’t know you? I highly doubt it.’

‘What does your gut say?’


I thought about it, ‘I don’t think you are threatening.’

‘Good, that’s good enough for now.’


“Scarlet!” Malcolm called making me jumped. He sped walked up to me and took hold of my arm, “What did you do?” he seethed.

Shocked and slightly scared I stared at him, “What are you talking about?”

“You called someone didn’t you?”

I shook my head, “No I didn’t.”

“Don’t lie to me Scarlet, you aren’t a good liar.”

“I couldn’t even if I wanted to.”

He looked slightly confused, “What?”

“I can’t link up to my pack, never have.” I heard cracking and grunts from behind him making me look passed Malcolm. “Why are they shifting?”

He gripped my arm and brought to the group of rouges. “We have company.” We stood in the middle of the group and he shoved me to my knees. “Since I need to stay like this to control you I have no other choice,” his hand came down on top of my head. Though it felt different, changed. It was larger and his nails were sharper just like claws. “I won’t hurt you; I’ve spent too much time searching just for you to get hurt or taken from me now. Just stay quiet and comply with me.”

Confused and anxious I held my tongue and looked past the contorting rouges to the trees. If someone has come after me I have a feeling it be Alpha, Beta, Gama, or even Darien. Maybe even Trent if that stone attitude survived whatever happened to him in the bunkers. After a couple of minutes five large wolves surround Malcolm and I as Malcolm watched the trees.

“This maybe your land, but I can read the environment better that you. So I would suggest you retreat now or surrender since I can smell you came alone.” The wolves around me shifted, their ears twitching with the smallest sounds made. “You don’t want me to hurt her do you?” Malcolm squeezed my head slightly cause me the cringe.

Crunch, crunch, snap.

A black wolf emerged into view and the surprise that went through me was unbelievable. Jackson’s normal blue eyes were a glowing yellow as he stared at the rouges around me. He growled at them and the rouges growled back.

“Seeing as sweet Scarlet and you can’t speak to each other I‘m gonna have to ask you to shift.” Malcolm stroked my hair with the pad of his thumb, the tip on his claw brushing my scalp gently. His touch on my head made me shiver. Malcolm chuckled, “I almost forgot how sensitive your head is.” A nasty snarl came from Jackson’s direction.

My attention went back on Jackson and I watched him growl as he began to shift back to human. As he changed Malcolm continued stroking my hair and I noticed how he made sure to slip his fingers through the long strands. I hated it, but at the same time I found myself emerged in the calming sensation I was getting. The only person that knew I liked my head being stroked is Granny.

“Stop touching her,” Jackson shouted. Jackson kept his eyes glued to Malcolm, “Let her go.”

“And who are you?” Malcolm asked. “One of Scarlet’s friends?” he practically hissed the last word at Jackson.

Curious I watched Jackson waiting for his answer, “I’m her future Alpha.”

Malcolm hummed, “Is that suppose to mean something to me?” The wolves let out an odd sound that could be interpreted as laughing. “Does he mean anything to you, Scar?”

Jackson’s eyes fell on me as I contemplated my response. Does Jackson mean anything to me? If anything we are like a dysfunctional family that isn’t really related. Well, in actuality we aren’t related. “He’s like a cousin to me.”

“So cousin what are you planning to do all by yourself?” Malcolm mocked Jackson making Jackson scowl.

“She is coming back with me.”

“And how is that going to happen? Are you going to try and kill us? Six against one?” Clearly the odds were against him and as if noticing it for the first time Jackson looked around with a slightly look of lose on his face. “Looks like someone didn’t think everything through,” Malcolm chuckled, “Do you have any suggestions Scarlet?”

I looked at the wolves and then Jackson, “Go back to the pack Jackson. I’ll be fine.” Or at least I hope I will be.

“You see that Jack? She’s made up her mind. Now leave while I’m still playing nice.” Malcolm released me and I got to my feet. As I moved Malcolm’s shifted hand moved from my head to my shoulder, a long claw grazed the skin on my throat. I shivered and Malcolm pulled me back so I was leaning against his chest, his nose burying itself in my hair. “Good choice,” he whispered to me.

A nasty snarl erupted from Jackson and Malcolm looked up at him, his brown eyes flashing wolf gold for a second. “You will not take her,” Jackson snarled.

“You are not her family, you are not her boyfriend, or her friend and yet you are so protective of her.” Malcolm moved his hand from my throat to my shoulder completely encasing me against him. “I sense a bond between you two, but it’s more prominent from you.” Jackson tensed up as he stared Malcolm down. Malcolm’s grip on me tightened; “If I say sweet you say?” there was an edge in his voice.

Jackson’s gaze flickered to me, “honey.”

Malcolm snarled, “Kill him.”

The rouges shot forward in attack as Jackson got into some kind of fighting position. There is no way in hell he can take down five wolves in human form, no way. Turning in Malcolm’s hold I looked up to him, “Don’t kill him, please. He’s like family.”

Malcolm’s face was stone cold, murderous. “No, he has to die.”

“Please,” I felt my eyes tear up as he looked down at me. He looked away and I couldn’t make myself look at the rouges if they were going to tear into Jackson. Balling my fists I started pounding on Malcolm’s chest, “stop it, stop it now. Make them stop!” Malcolm pulled me closer locking my arms against him and forcing my forehead against his chest.

There were nasty snarls, a loud growl, the sound of shuffling and then a loud crack. At the crack I shoved Malcolm and spun around just as he swore. Jackson was still standing, but one of the wolves laid dead on the ground, blood spilling from his neck. Standing above the dead wolf was a smaller wolf, one with grey fur, glowing gold eyes and blood stained fangs. Harvey, my mind whispered to me. Blood dripped from his black gums, his gold eyes keen on the –now four – rouge wolves. Placing his two front paws on the dead rouges neck he howled.

“Shit,” Malcolm cussed just as a large, grey wolf leapt of out the trees and took down one of the rouges. I didn’t recognized this one, but whoever it was immediately dug into the rouge’s neck. The rouge squirmed on the ground and growled while another rouge went to help out, but Harvey tackled him to the ground. My eyes went to the mystery wolf just in time to see him rip the rouge’s throat out. Blood completely staining his muzzle and fur as he dropped the organ on the forest floor like it was nothing.

Two rouges left –besides Malcolm – and that one was eyeing his fallen comrades. The mystery wolf turned in Harvey’s direction as Harvey growled at the two remaining wolves with a dead on in his jaws. Harvey didn’t look anything like the boy I befriended, nothing like the oversized pup that groveled on the forest floor in front of Jackson and the rest of the pack. No, he look strong, frightening even and the look in his eyes. Its borderline feral.

My body shook all over as my eyes darted from dead body to dead body.

“Come on,” Malcolm pulled me back and before I knew it he scoop me up bridal style in his arms and darted away from the scene. With my head so close to his chest I could hear his heart pound vigorously against his ribs. “I can’t believe that guy is still alive,” Malcolm growled.

That guy? I watched as beads of sweat trickled down the side of his face.

“You’re not going anywhere,” a body slammed into us and I went flying away from Malcolm. I went towards some bushed and he went against a tree. Slowly sitting up I looked up and saw a naked body with a wolf tail swishing around. Continuing to look up I notice their hand long and furry with sharp claws protruding from their fingers. Finally reaching the face I came upon Harvey. His K9’s extended and bared, and his human ears gone as his wolf ear twitch on top of his head. “Malcolm Shepard.”

There was a humorless laugh, “Well if it isn’t the brat.” Malcolm stood up and wiped some dirt from his chin. “I never thought I run into you again.” I looked at Malcolm and noticed he was half shifted like Harvey. “Don’t think that just because you two are here we are going to give up on her,” he growled.

“So cocky,” Harvey returned the growl and at the same time they both shot forward attaching each other. It was a single strike they did and it made Harvey fall to the ground with a loud thump and a gash across his chest.

“Till next time Scarlet,” Malcom said, waving at me with a glistening bloody hand. My eyes narrowed in one his hand and then he took off in a retreat.

Once Malcolm was out of sight I shuffled next to Harvey accessing the wound as he wolf parts shifted back to human. I pressed my gloved hands and felt his blood quickly soak through the fabric onto my skin. Pulling back I looked at my hands to find dark stains against the grey fabric. Pressure, I need to apply pressure. Quickly taking off my long scarf, I buddle it up as much as I could and then pressed it against Harvey’s wound. Blood dripped down the side of his chest, his breathing got erratic, and I could tell his hands were shaking. The red color of my scarf grew darker and I could feel the fabric slowly become heavy and wet.

There was a crunch behind me and my nose twitched. Jackson and the mystery wolf stood behind me, their scent carrying the smell of blood with them.

“Damn it, he wasn’t careful,” a deep voice said and shivers went up my spine. I turned to my side to see the back of a nude man look amongst the plants. He plucked a few before turning back to me, “move the fabric.” He said right before putting the plants in his mouth and with a nod I took my scarf off Harvey. “Damn that mutt really did a number on you kid.”

“S-S-Shut up,” Harvey hissed.

“I told you that he wasn’t going to be an easy opponent,” the wolf knelt down and spat out the mushed plants into his hand. “This is going to hurt,” he pressed the mush onto Harvey’s wound causing Harvey to hiss and buck on the ground. “Control yourself,” Harvey was reprimanded as the guy smeared the green stuff over the length on the wound. “Now then,” he looked at me and took hold the hem of my dress and tore it making it a good five inches shorter. “Thank you, and now if evil eyes over there can help lift Harvey so I can wrap him that would be great.”

“Why should I help you,” Jackson growled.

“Because if it wasn’t for us you’d be dead right now.”

Reluctantly Jackson went to Harvey and helped pick him up as the other guy bandaged Harvey. The whole time though I found myself staring at the mystery guy. Everything about him felt familiar and I just couldn’t put my finger on how. As he bandaged Harvey he glanced at me for a second.

‘You’re staring at me pretty intensely Rose bud,’ his voice said in my head and suddenly it clicked.

“It’s you,” he looked at me and gave a small smile, “you-”

“Scarlet!” Luna’s voice cut me off as I was engulfed in a bone crushing hug, “You’re safe, thank the goddess you are safe.” Her shoulders slumped as she held me close to her, “I was so worried when I heard that Carol was attacked and you were taken. Then I couldn’t get a hold of Trent and I got sorry scared.”

I remained still in her gripped just watching wolves from my pack swarm in and surround us creating a protective barrier. Then a few went and surrounded Harvey and the other guy. When I was about to say something Alpha entered the group looking in Harvey’s direction.

“Back away from them they are friends,” Alpha Ronald order and the members surrounding Harvey drew back. “It would seem that your plans have been ruined.”

“Well not everything goes according to plan,” the man said to Alpha. “You’ve raised her well in my place Ronald.”

Alpha’s expression grew solemn, “Escort these two to the infirmary have them cleaned up and looked over.” He said to a couple of men before looking back at the man beside Harvey. “Then I want to talk to you.”

“Good, we have a lot to talk about.”

Alpha nodded and then some pack members proceeded to pick Harvey up with care. “Come on Scarlet,” Luna stood up and held her hand out to me. “Let’s get you and Jackson home.”

ᶲ ᶲ


I sat in Alpha’s living room freshly showered and with new clothes. Jackson sat far from me and kept his gaze trained on the room’s entrance. The atmosphere was oddly comfortable as we waited for everyone else to gather in the room. Luna had gone to freshen up and Alpha had ordered for Granny to be escorted to the house. Everyone was off finishing loose ends while the two of us just sat and waited.

“Did… did those rouges do anything to you?” Jackson spoke up sounded awkward and out of place.

I didn’t turn to look at him and decided to keep my eyes on the palms of my hands, tracing every line and crevice. “Nothing that will scar me for life.”

“Good… that’s good,” we fell back into silence.

“How did you find me?” I asked and felt the atmosphere get slightly heavy. “Is it because of what Malcolm said? Do we have a bond?”

“The pups in the bunker called to me and said that you were taken. It was weird at first but then they told me they couldn’t reach my dad and decided on me.” Something about what he said sounded sketchy, but I choose not to push it.

“But how did you find me?” He didn’t answer, but I could feel his agitation.

The front door opened and in walked two blood covered wolves. Gama and Darien wandered into the living room and looked between Jackson and me. “Where is Alpha?” Gama asked and I pointed upstairs indicating his office.

Gama left without another word as the door opened once again showing Granny walking in with Beta. She said a few whispered words and the two of them followed Gama up the stairs leaving Darien with Jackson and I. Darien approached me and knelt down, “Are you okay?” he looked up at me, “I heard what happened.”

I simply stared at him remembering Harvey bleeding and those rouges being torn apart.

“How about I give you something to wear,” Jackson spoke up and the two of them left the room.

I moved positions on the couch and laid down looking up at the ceiling just listening to everything. The shuffling up stairs and the ticking of the clock in the foyer drowned everything out. I just lied there doing absolutely nothing when a loud bang erupted from upstairs. The sudden sound had me jump to my feet.

“Jackson come back!” Darien yelled.

“What’s going on!” I heard Alpha yell in the hall.

Whatever else was said didn’t catch my attention as Jackson stormed down the stairs with Darien right beside him.

“Calm down,” Darien said trying to get in Jackson’s way.

“You did this,” Jackson growled at me while shoving Darien out of his way. With quick speed Jackson took hold of the front of my dress and brought me forward. “Those rouges were looking for you. You’re the reason why everyone’s injured.”

“Jackson!” Granny yelled.

“No Gram, it’s her fault. If she would have never came here ten years ago this wouldn’t have happened.” His eyes bore holes into me, “Once a rouge always a rouge.”

“You… you always act so superior to me and act like you know all about me and my so called, ‘place.’” I growled at him. “How dare you,” I whispered looking right in the eye, “How dare you act like you know me when I don’t even know who I am!” I shouted. “Stray, mutt, rouge how can you call me all those names with such certainty when I don’t know what I am?” Angry tears started sliding down my face, “You always tell me I have no place in the pack find then. So tell me since you’re full of knowledge,” I moved my face closer to his, “Where exactly is my place?”

"How the hell should I know?"

"My point exactly." I shoved him away, “So stay out of my face.” I growled.

Jackson looked pissed at my outburst, but he couldn’t do anything since Alpha made us separate. I went back to my seat and Jackson to his far seat. Everyone else disbursed around the room when a knock at the front door got Beta’s attention causing him to leave the room.

“Jackson you got to control yourself. These sudden outbursts are not acceptable,” Alpha crossed his arms whilst staring Jackson down.

“She got Carol attacked in the bunker. Her leg was nearly torn off,” Jackson growled.

“And she did so trying to keep the rouges from taking Scarlet, a foolish move. Just like how you went off by yourself.”

Jackson grumbled something but I didn’t catch it. My attention was on Beta and the wolf from earlier standing in the door way. “Alpha,” Beta Jarvis cut in. Except the guy didn’t wait to be acknowledged from anyone in the room. He just simply walked in, came up to me and picked me up from the couch in a hug.

“You’ve gotten so big Rose Bud,” he whispered to me.

I looked at Alpha feeling confused, “You jumped the gun Cooper. She looks confused at your sudden hug.”

“You’d be inpatient too if you were able to see the one you’ve been separate from for almost ten years.” He pulled back and let me down, “Always on the run and trying to stay alive. I happy she was here.”

“Cooper?” I looked up at the man with light brown hair and blue eyes.

He smiled, “I’d think after forcing your memories open you’d recognize me.” No wonder he feels familiar. Smiling I hugged him back letting my head rest against his chest as his arms tightened around me. I could feel his prickly chin rest on top of my head, “I’ve missed you so much.”

“Not to break up this reunion, but who is this guy?” Jackson cut in.

“Yeah, I’m a little confused.” Darien added, “Is he part of Scarlet’s family or something?”

Cooper pulled away from me, “Not by blood. It’s a little hard to explain, but just consider me her guardian.”

“You boys know that one day Scarlet just came into the pack correct?” Granny asked as I was turned around in Cooper’s hold to be able to see everyone while he still had a hold on me. His head rested on top of my own as the boys nodded. “This young man is the one that brought her to the pack.”

“But why?” Darien asked, “No offense, it’s just, why would you leave Scarlet if you look like you’re so attached to her?”

“I left her in order to keep her safe,” Cooper’s voice was a little rough. “At the time me, Scarlet and Abel were traveling with a group of rouges.”

“Abel?” Jackson question.

“He was like a big brother to me. Helped me hunt and learn to keep out of pack territories. He and I knew each other since I was small and when I came across Scarlet we decided to raise her. At the time there were only two other pups in our group and they weren’t exactly good for Scarlet to be around. It had come to a point where Abel didn’t think it was safe for Scarlet to be around the group and we decided to leave.” Cooper sighed, “And that’s where things went wrong.”

“What do you mean?” Jackson asked.

“We were attacked.” His grip on my got slightly tighter, “Abel had told me to take Scarlet as far from the group as possible while he bought us some time and that’s when I came to your pack with Scarlet.”

“And just ditched her,” Jackson said bluntly.

Cooper growled, “I left her with your Gama that was on patrol. Then I left to draw the group away from your pack and Scarlet. There was no way I was going to be able to run away with her while I was injured.”

I touched Cooper’s hand, “What happened to Abel?”

Cooper stiffened, “He was killed. I found him after I returned three days later.”

“And you never thought of coming back for Scarlet?” Darien questioned.

“He did come back,” Alpha cut in with a deep angered voice, “and I locked him up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you think?
A lot happened
Scarlet and Jackson might have a bond
Harvey can SPEAK! and he isn't weak at all
&
Cooper showed up!

Oh and any ideas on who this mate might be?

^0^
Comment & Subscribe