Sequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: This story is complete but being revised. Part four is in progress ♥

Just for a Moment

Surprise

My hands felt shaky as I sat in JT’s office, waiting to receive some “bad news” that one of the staff members mentioned to me on our way over here. I started to get antsy as I sat in silence, the unknown staff looking around awkwardly. JT barges in breathlessly and the staff huffs out as if she was holding her breath.

“Thank God,” she mumbles on her way out.

What’s with that lady?

“Hello, Ms. Leon. I’m sure you’re wondering why you’re here.”

“Yes I am,” I say, fiddling with my skirt, “am I in trouble?”

“No no, you’re not in trouble. Unless there’s something I don’t know about,” he eyes me as he walks behind his desks and takes his seat.

“No sir,” I shake my head.

“Okay great. Well I have some good news and some bad news; which would you like to hear first?”

Who really wants to hear bad news in the first place?

“Uh, I guess we should get the bad news out of the way first.”

“All right,” he sighs. My nerves act up as he gathers his thoughts and I think of the worse possible scenarios: my family got into a car crash; I won’t be able to achieve my career dream, Lizzy died in some spontaneous explosion from the science department. There’s no way that last one happened; I spotted her the music building before I got here. After what seems like forever, he speaks up, “look Aaliyah, the school board and I have been talking since your incident and we believe that being here on campus right now is a very stressful time for you. I mean this past school year has been nothing but a big downfall for you.” He paused for a second, scanning my face for a reaction, then continued. “We thought that it would be best if you took a break.”

“A br-break?” I sputter, standing up.

“Yes, please take your seat,” he says calmly. “Just let me explain and you’ll understand this a little more.”

I slowly lower myself into the seat, feeling anger rise into my chest.

“We agreed that since the incident with the former student Mr. Schneider,” I cringe at the name, “you have been through many traumas. We have arranged for you to attend a public high school just an hour away from campus, this way you can still visit family and friends, but keep a reasonable distance from the pressures of M. J. Academy. We have also provided you with an apartment, which, since we decided to make this action, will be covered by your scholarship grant. You will still have to pay for utilities and other necessities like food, clothing, and such.”

I stare blankly at his desk as his words drone on and sink in. I have to leave my dream school. This is ridiculous.

“How am I…what will...” I trail off, not knowing exactly what words I was looking for.

“It’s unfortunate Aaliyah, I truly am sorry. I tried to keep you on campus, maybe arrange for some therapy appointments, but their decision is final.” He sighs, picking up a pen. “It is after all temporary, just until Tally graduates.”

“When will that be?” I ask, looking down at my shoes.

“Next year. It’s not that bad,” he shrugs, “one year in a public school, then you are welcomed back into M. J. Academy. Don’t worry,” he waves the pen, “this doesn't mess up your scholarship or your road to success; it’s just on pause until you return. Then you will simply pick up where you left off.”

I feel a pinch of hope form in me as I stand from my seat and head to the door. I stop and turn around to face him.

“When am I expected to leave?”

“Last day of classes,” he says, typing away at his computer.

Jeez, couldn't at least expand it to the summer?

“Alright,” I say, “thanks.”

“Look on the bright side; this gives you an opportunity to really reevaluate how much you have grown here, both as a student and a person in general.”

“You’re right,” I say, turning the knob, “thank you Mr. Timberlake.”

I close the door behind me and stick my hands into my skirt pockets. This is such a blow; I really don’t want to leave this place, but I guess it makes sense, what with the Tally thing and all. I let out a big sigh before making my way to Menus; its dinner time and I will not let that news ruin my appetite.

When I get to the table I decide to sit with Naomi to avoid Lizzy. We’re not in a bad place or anything, but I don’t think that now is the time to tell her about me leaving the school; knowing her, it might stress her out. I also don’t mind sitting here since I’m trying to put a little space between Vic and I-I've really been trying to sort out my feelings. My hormones completely took over on our spring break trip, but I don’t feel bad for kissing him. I really do like him, and I've only noticed how strong my feelings are for him since I've developed numbness towards Jack. It’s weird; the love I had for that boy seemed to disappear somewhere. Not completely vanish…just discharged with memories. As if the “I love you” and all the moments we shared are just pictures of a couple that I imagined playing out the lives of. Its only May, but it seems like longer. We say an occasional hi and bye, but that’s about it. So I let myself get completely consumed with feelings for Vic, and now I don’t feel guilty about it. I just don’t know if he feels the same way.

I ate quietly as the people around me chatted happily about summer plans and the Major show. Hannah gushed about being a shoe in for the art gallery since the photo shoot she had with us was a complete success. Her giddiness annoyed me for a few minutes as she talked about how she’s on the top five in her class and we helped her get there. I should be happy, but a sudden cloud of negativity floated over me. I quickly finished my food, said good night to the table and tried to get out of there. I said goodnight to Lizzy and Kellin from a distance as I made my way out of the cafeteria. Daniel flagged me down though, his straight hair bobbing around as he jogged over to me.

“What’s up?” I ask, feeling impatient.

“I have something to show you,” he says casually, sticking his hands into his pocket.

“Now?” He nods and I groan in reply; I just want to go to bed. It’s been a long day of classes, not to mention the weight of next school year’s plans. “Tomorrow is Friday, just show me then, I’m really tired.”

“It’ll be quick, I promise.”

I had a suspicion about this boy. What did he need to show me so urgently? Is it a surprise? Why is he surprising me in the first place? I followed him as he walked through the field and into the student lounge building. I’m still surprised that we students have an entire first floor and basement dedicated to down time, even though we already have an arcade, amusement park, etc.

He took my hand and led me through the hall.

“You’re going to love this,” he looked back at me, a smile plastered on his face.

The anticipation started growing within me as we got closer to the room at the end of the hall. His hazel eyes glinted under his dirty blond hair, popping against his freshly tanned skin.

We enter a room with photographs covering all four walls. I didn't really get what was going on, so I gave him a confused look. When I inched closer to the wall in front of me, I understood what was going on. There are hundreds of pictures in this room; and they’re all of me and Lizzy. So many emotions flashed in my body, confused as to which one to stick on. There were pictures of me and Max, me with Jack, even Vic. Some of them had writings on it, calling me derogatory things. Then there were pictures of Max with Tally, Jack with that drama major he pretended to go out with, and him with Tania. Anger started to bubble inside me as I took in the pictures. I wanted desperately to just leave and forget what I was seeing, but my eyes stayed glues to each picture. What horrified me most were the pictures of Lizzy. My eyes trailed to the one that was posted in my room the day that Jack and Kellin got jumped. I couldn't hold back my sobs once I noticed the pictures of Lizzy meeting up with Max’s older brother those few years ago. Did she know that someone was there to “capture the moment”? Why would she? She was too busy fending for her life. There are different angles of him throwing her to the ground and hitting her, and I didn't even bother looking at the pictures that showed what happened next. Guilt swarmed me as I remember how upset I got about her messing up my “date” with the guy. How could I not see it? Poor Lizzy, all the crap she’s been through and I can only think of myself. Why would he even lead me here? Why does he have all of these pictures?

“Hey, rat.”

I turn around to see the she-devil standing in the door way. Of course, how could not have figured it out?

“What is going on?” I ask, balling up my fists.

“I see my boyfriend has brought you to my new gallery.” She approaches him and gives him a showy kiss, making sure to shove her tongue down his throat. She broke away from him and waved her hands in a displaying way towards the photos. “I’m thinking about entering this exhibit for the Major show, even though I’m not a photography major. I’m thinking of calling it,” she tapped her chin mock-pensively, “ahh,” she put a finger up, “the whore sisters’ exhibition. Yeah, I like the ring to that.”

I hate her, and now I hate Daniel. How could he do this to me? Why would he even consider dating that wretch of a girl? I also hate myself in this moment for not leaving the building immediately.

“Take them down,” I say through gritted teeth.

“Or what?” She snarled. I glance over to Daniel who was sitting on a table located next to the door.
“You gonna run and tell the headmaster? If you go and do that, sure, I’ll get a strike for doing this. My career is already launching though.” She moves close to me, piercing me with her brown eyes. “You, on the other hand, will get a strike from the multiple pieces of evidence I have of you running around and getting drunk.” She lays a hand on her hip, looking successful.

I bite my lip in frustration and concentrate on the door to keep myself from punching her square in the jaw. If I wasn't in risk of another strike like she mentioned, I would've of done it, happily too.

“What is the point of all of this?” I glare at her, regaining my confidence. She cringes before answering me.

“Well first off, your sister stole my boy-toy. Then, you guys sent my husband to prison,” she growls, trembling all the while.

“Husband?” Daniel pipes up from the corner of the room.

We ignore him as Tally continues, “Since you two stepped foot on this campus it has been nothing but hell for me. This wouldn't have started if it wasn't for you though. If you didn't take interest in Max, none of this would be happening.” Then something I thought I’d never witness, unless I inflected pain on her of course: she starts to cry. “You ruined everything!”

I take a step back and raise an eyebrow, realizing how much of a psycho this girl is. Being completely upset about it is one thing, but taking time to stalk us for all this time? Now that’s just insane.

“I didn't know you had a husband,” Daniel starts, walking up to Tally. “You were just using me? Weren't you? Just another boy-toy as you mentioned before, huh?” She ignored him again so he grabbed her arm. “What is wrong with you?! I knew were crazy, especially when I saw those letters you had written for Ally in your desk. Who does that?” He turns to me, “she definitely claimed to be your ex in those letters. I’m sure he has no idea about any of this.”

That’s when I run my fist into her stomach. Blood on her face? Sure; she could run and tell the headmaster about that. A blow to the stomach though? No evidence. Daniel just leaves her to fall to the ground, arms wrapped around her body. He shakes his head.

“To think; I was willing to give up any sort of friendship I could have had with Ally just because you promised to sleep with me.” I snort, now that makes sense. “I’m out of here.” He turns to me, “I know you’ll most likely never forgive me for this experience but I’m sorry. Do what you want to her, I don’t care.” He leaves the room, slamming the door behind him.

I look down at Tally who was sobbing as she tried to stand up. I pity the girl; she has no life. She watches me leave the room, the fury causing me to feel extremely hot at the moment. When I reach the outside I’m appreciative of the cool wisps of wind that lingered in this early May air. I decide to head straight to my dorm since it’s probably best to keep my drama to myself. No need to worry Lizzy, and I’m pretty sure Vic doesn't want to deal with how I get at times like these. As soon as I get to my room I undress myself and attempt to fall asleep, feeling slightly glad about having to leave M.J. Academy next month.
♠ ♠ ♠
:O