Sequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: This story is complete but being revised. Part four is in progress ♥

Just for a Moment

The Roaring Twenties

I woke up in my usual good mood. I was smiling as if the sun itself was the source of all joy. I happily rolled out of bed and sent Roxy, Emily and Ally a good morning text. I decided to call my mom this morning before she headed off to work. I chatted with her, excited that all the boys were doing well. She told me the oldest had moved out and how emotional that she and papi felt with only four children being left in the house. I told her she should be happy she raised capable children. She complained about the nest being empty soon. I reminded her that her youngest was ten, so she had a while. This made her feel better, I could tell by the change in her tone of voice. I told her to send my love to papi and my brothers. I spoke to my baby boy for a bit then hung up happier then when I woke up. I was thrilled to hear that even more financial relief was being given to my parents, even if it meant all the emotional stuff. Maybe they would finally be able to go on that dream vacation of theirs. Plus I love talking to my youngest brother; he is the one I miss the most.

I make a mental note to go home for a weekend so I could go see him. I decided that I would probably pick him up a small gift this week so when I go I had something to give him. I sat in bed thinking of what to get him when I looked at the time. I remembered that I had to start getting ready and hopped up. I set up my iPod for my morning routine and then stripped to take my hot shower.

I swayed in the shower singing Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey. I used my shampoo bottle as a mic. I was so happy that it’s been two weeks into a school year and there has been relativity no drama. I was still abuzz from my summer, and its affects still lingered heavy in the air. I sang with only one person in mind, and I felt a part of me push that knowledge to the very back of my conscience. I stepped out the shower, chased by the mist from the hot water. I made a heart with my finger on the fogged up mirror and left into my room. I sorted through my draws for clothes and then decided not to over think it since I am only headed to work. I threw on my blue, green, and yellow plaid pattern jeans, along with a plain black tee shirt and a pair of plain black chucks. I grabbed my Hot Topic name badge and headed out the door to have breakfast at the mall with Kells, Ally, Roxy and Naomi.

Adding to my good mood was my excitement for this year’s welcome back party. (Which Ally and I didn’t attend last year due to mega amounts of drama. That I will NOT think about.) The theme for this year is Great Gatsby, which was amazing since I love The Great Gatsby. I watched the movies and read the book a million times. So I was thrilled to be able to live out a piece of it. Roxy and I had gone shopping for our outfits weeks ago, after the theme was decided during the first week of August. We were even on the planning committee for the party, so we could be involved in making sure it was perfect. The school even had the director of the 2013 remake, helping us plan the decor. That alone was incredible. He helped us pick out outfits for the waiters too.

Roxy and I planned to coordinate our outfits from the start. I would be going as Daisy and she would be Jordan. We weren't necessarily supposed to go as the characters, but as actors how could we resist? We kept the whole thing to ourselves since we told everyone to be creative and to try to stay away from the characters. This is the reason why Roxy and I added our own little twist to each outfit. I smiled just thinking about it. I hummed softly as I walked to the mall, thoughts of tonight flooding through my head. As I drifted dreamily along, I noticing the sheer white tents being brought onto campus. I felt another buzz of excitement and I wished that I didn't have to work so I could spend all day perfecting my outfit with Roxy.

As I made my way to the mall’s entrance I spotted Rick standing alone out front. I waved at him and he waved back a sweet smile on his face. I was about to ask who was waiting for when I watched Tally run into his arms. He kissed her, and then they walked hand in hand into the mall. My heart ached for Rick; Tally had found a new victim. I wanted to shout out and warn him but why would he believe me? It’s not like we were friends or anything or even remotely close to being friends. I will find a way to get a warning to him, most likely through Ally. I watched Max trail not far behind them, a cocky grin on his face. Clearly unfazed, that his girlfriend is currently beating him at their sick and twisted game. I watched as a group of girls around him swooned as he passed. He winked at one and she started to blush, I gagged.

I walked into the mall, lost in thought, a few feet behind him, when someone grabbed my arm. My heart started racing and the words of that letter filled my mind. Then something in me recognized that touch and I turned around to hit Kellin on the shoulder. He pulled me behind a pillar and kissed me hard. I was shocked; Kellin and I had not even hugged since Vic had returned. He looked at me straight into my eyes giving me a clear view that his were sparkling with excitement.

“I have great news!” He all but shouted.

I giggled and shushed him, “what is it?”

“If You Can’t Hang has just reached 150,000 views on YouTube!” He did a little dance. “I can’t believe it!”

“I am so happy for you!” I hugged him, resisting the urge to kiss him again.

“I am so happy Lizzy, I can hardly stand it!” He squeezed me tight. “I l…”

“Hey guys over here!” Roxy waved her arms at us from a few feet away.

She placed her hand on her hip and beckoned us with her finger. I watched Kellin as a brief sadness passed in his eyes and then he ran to Roxy probably to tell her the news. He what? You what? I wanted to shout at him to get him to finish his sentence but I knew there was no point, the moment had passed. I fought the urge to pout as I followed after him. He chatted happily about the song, as we sat at in a booth at IHop, Roxy, Kellin and I squeezing in on one side. Naomi and Ally comfortably sitting across from us. Ally beaming at the success of the song. It must feel good to have a song you helped write make it so big. We decided to celebrate with a round of hot chocolates. Since IHop is one of the rare places where you have to pay on campus, that was considered celebration enough for us. We laughed over food, joking about the stupid stuff that was sure to happen tonight. I was happy that “Kelly and Alan” were getting along in a weird friendly-rivals kind of way. It made my life so much easier. After breakfast I went to work feeling better than I did this morning. If that was even possible.

My shift went smoothly since I was treating Vic cautiously but friendly enough. I even said bye to him as I left. I decided to head to Ally’s job to harass her before I went to lunch with Roxy. I walked up the stairs wondering if she would ever tell me what happened at the amusement park that night with Jack. I rolled my eyes knowing that I won’t push it. She will tell me when she is ready. I walked in, saw Ally in her uniform and smiled. She looked so adorable. She was in a conversation with Rick when she spotted me.

“Hey sis, came for a smoothie?” She smiled, showing off her dimples.

“Nope, I have lunch plans with Roxy. I just came to harass you.” I lightly pulled her hair when I got up to the counter.

“Oh,” she shrugged. “Are you excited for tonight?”

Her eyes glimmered revealing her obvious excitement.

“Of course,” I hopped over the counter and sat on the stool next to her. “I mean, I worked hard enough to help plan the whole thing so I can’t wait to see it all come together.”

“UGH! I can’t wait! Time needs to go faster! I can’t believe we missed out last year!” She swiveled around her stool. “Oh well, this is going to be amazing!”

“I know,” I squeezed her hand. “Anyway, let me leave you so you can go back to pretending that you are working.” I stuck my tongue out at her.

She hit me in the arm as I hopped back over the counter to head out.

“See you later Lizzy!” She shouted after me, “Love you.”

“I love you too, butt.” Then I quickened my pace so I wouldn't be late to meet Roxy.

I spotted Roxy and sat across from her while I smiled. We ate a quick lunch so we could retreat into her room, for once, to get ready for tonight’s party. We ate in silence both eager to start our secret project to be the best dressed tonight. I could feel the excitement building up between us, this being the first event of the school year and all. We walked back to her room arm in arm. On her bed, our outfits were laid out. Hers’ was a black shimmy dress, next to my creme lace flapper dress. Her red feather headband rested on top of her dress and my feathered butterfly hair clip rested atop my dress. We both had t-strap black flapper shoes. After showers, makeup, and hair, we were ready for tonight’s party. So in these characters' costumes we would embody, the Gatsby girls. Even calling each other by their names.

“Are you ready darling?” Roxy held up an empty cigarette holder to her lips.

“Of course,” I link my arm in hers, “shall we go?”

As we approached the back lawn we heard the live band boom with music from the twenties. A thrill of seeing the party we helped plan spread through me. As soon as I saw the others students dressed up as if we were in the rip roaring twenties, I felt like I had entered into the past. All my buried worries flew south and I just focused on the magic of this moment. My heart stopped as I saw Kellin standing out in an all white suit, Gatsby’s suit. He stood with Vic, whose approach was clearly at Tom’s character. My heart raced as we approached them coolly, hips swaying, eyes filled with a dramatic aloof flair. Vic pointed us out, and Kellin turned to face us. I tried not to stare at him, or think too much on his choice of clothes. He didn't know a thing about what Roxy and I had planned anyway. So it had nothing to do with me.

“Hello,” Kellin kissed both of our hands. “I am glad you two could make it to my party.” His eyes lingered on me for a second before letting go of my hand. “Shall we head toward a table old sport?”

Vic simply nodded and we followed after Kellin in silence. Roxy stood between Vic and I, acting as some kind of buffer between us. We sat at a table with Ally and Naomi who had Reggie at her side. I hope those two are finally dating, I mean it’s obvious that they are into each other. I approached a chair and Vic held it out for me, I sat down and smiled politely at him. I watched as people danced on the large dance floor. It was a marvelous sight. Jonny, grabbed Roxy and pulled her onto the dance floor. I sat listening to Ally talk for a while but truly longing to dance. Kellin must have sensed it, because he looked at Vic briefly then at me.

“May I dance with you, Daisy?” He eyed Vic as he said it.

My heart pounded, he couldn't know.

“Of course,” I got up and Kellin led me to the dance floor. After a long pause, I said, “Well, I'm certainly glad to see you again.”

I wondered if he would catch on.

“I-I'm certainly glad to see you, as well.” He smiled while looking deep into my eyes.

My heart pounded with the simple implications of his words. I wanted to say more but instead I danced with him in silence. When the fireworks boomed overhead we both paused to look up. A smile was dancing in his eyes, as we watched the brilliant color light up the night. In that moment, I acknowledged what I already knew, everything had changed and there was no going back.
♠ ♠ ♠
♥ My inspiration is clear for this chapter. The Great Gatsby ♥ Let me know what you think and thanks for the support.

-Hana ♥