Sequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: This story is complete but being revised. Part four is in progress ♥

Just for a Moment

How Perfection Shattered

These past four weeks have been amazing. I have never been so happy before, it's crazy. Jack stood true to his words that night of our 'date', coming to my room the next morning to walk me to breakfast. He later talked to the headmaster that day, so we were announced as a couple on the first week of school. I'm glad that things are going well so far, I haven't even seen you-know-who since the day I got here! How awesome is that?

I sit up in bed, full of energy for the day. I took today off at work to spend time with Jack. Although I see him often, we rarely get time for just us. I stretch happily, lifting my legs over the edge of my bed to get up. I walk over to the bathroom and perform my usual morning routine. Today I decided to dress simple: I put on a black pair of skinny jeans and a comfy Mickey Mouse sweatshirt with a pair of red chucks. I tie my hair up into a high loose bun, emphasizing my laid back mood. I walk down to Menu's, a smile on my face. That's before I spot Max of course, standing outside of the building. I panic, looking around for a bush or something to jump into to hide. No need, some of his annoying friends catch up with him and enter the cafeteria. Phew. I continue on towards the entrance and find my spot at the table. As I peer through the menu, I hear a giggling then look up to see Vic and his girl Sonia at the other end of the table. I still can't believe that they're an item. Lizzy must be devastated. I shake my head and turn my attention back to the menu, caught between a vegan bacon egg and cheese or strawberry stacked waffles. I go with the bacon egg and cheese.

When I'm done eating, I stay for a little while at the table, talking to the guys about super heroes and what not. These guys can get really passionate when it's comes to men in spandex. I laugh at their rage and comment from time to time, enjoying this vibe. I glance over to Jack from the other end if the table. He gives me a curt nod then gets up.

"Well, I'll catch you guys later," I shout over the table as I get up. I skip up to Jack who was waiting for me at the door.

"Ready?" He laces our fingers together.

"Mhm," I smile.

We chat as we walk over to the back lawn hedges, which was a really pretty area. It was a rounded area, with a single white bench. I think I remember Lizzy telling me about this place before, but she never mentioned the blooming camellias that decorated the hedges. I sat down on the bench as he pulled his guitar case out from behind the bench. He sat down beside me and laid the case across his lap. He opened the latches to reveal an acoustic 1960 Gibson. It looked like a mix between a melody maker and a les Paul, it's probably customized.

He starts to strum a few chords before launching into What's My Age Again? By Blink 182. It sounded nice, and he looked so attractive as he concentrated on picking the right cords. He stopped after the first chorus and looks up at me.

"I know this song isn't romantic, but-"

"It's fine, I like it." I smile at him.

He smiles and looks down at his guitar again, playing a g-chord.

"By the way," he starts, "I never got the chance to tell you how awesome your performance with Kellin was, because you know, you ran home." He looks up at me with a raised eyebrow and I purse my lips.

"Yeah, sorry I about that. I just had to get out of here," I sigh, looking around.

"I get it." He slides closer to me, placing part of his guitar on my lap.

He kisses me on my forehead as I rest my head on his shoulder, humming the song he had played just a minute ago.

"Oh, can you sing for me?" He messes around with a B minor chord while I nod.

"What song?"

"Um..how about-" a rustling in the bushes cut his thought.

We sit still for a second, waiting to see if a squirrel or something would pop out. Instead, someone appears with all black clothing and a mask. Jack and I exchange glances, laughing at the weird guy as he approached us.

"What's with the-" the guy cuts Jack off with a punch to his face.

"What the heck?!" I shout scared.

More people start to show up, all dressed like the first guy. One comes up to me and pushes me to the floor as another grabs Jacks guitar and throws it over the hedge. Jack gets up, ready to defend himself but the four of them surround him, punching him in his stomach and face.

"Stop!" I scream, "what are you doing!"

"Shut up," one of the guys says, striking me across the face.

I burst into tears as another guy accompanies him to hold me, each grabbing an arm. The one on the right covers my mouth as I helplessly watch the others beat my boyfriend. They drag us behind the hedge and into the woods. One picks up the guitar from where he threw it and smashes it onto a rock a few times before hitting Jack with it. I shake my head, closing my eyes, but everything I heard was horrible. I open my eyes again, taking in the horror. One of the guys kicks Jack in the ribs, causing him to jut up in pain. His yells making my heart break. I bite the guy's hand who had it placed over my mouth, angry that I hadn't thought of that before.

"Jack," I scream before they knock him out. They continued to kick him a few more times before the other guy holding me told them to stop.

"I think that's enough, let’s go before we get caught." They drop me onto the floor before running off.

I watched them run off, determined to remember they're body figures, color of their eyes, and there was no way I would forget the voice of the guy who held me. He seemed to be the leader of the pack. I get up and run over to Jack. They messed him up. He was all bloody, with a busted lip and both eyes covered in black and blue.

"Jack!" I scream, shaking him to get up, but he was unconscious. "Please," my voice screeches.

I plop onto his chest, sobbing loudly. Why did this happen? What did he do? I don't get it! I could hear his pulse slowing down, and his breathing labored. I start dragging him back to the clearing, I have to get him help. When I see the hedges, I take my phone out of my pocket and call Lizzy, trying to calm myself to at least ask her to make her way over here. Of course when she picks up, I lose it.

"Ally, calm down. What's wrong?"

I couldn't contain my convulsing to tell her clearly. She must have understood because said she would be here as fast as she could. I hang up and put my phone on the ground, examining Jack again. I looked from his head going down, down, down, then stopped at his stomach. Remembering that one of the guy's had kicked him in that area, I slowly lift his shirt, yelping at the sight. His chest was severely bruised, they probably broke some ribs.

"Oh God," Lizzy said running up to us, "what happened?"

"I don't know," I moan, my eyes welling up again. "We were hanging out then a bunch of guys in masks came and jumped us." She kneels beside me, as she stares at Jack. I continue, "they punched him a few times and slapped me before dragging us over there to finish the business," I point, I feel like I am gasping for air.

Tears stream down her face as she rubs my back, trying to calm me. Then she gets up when we hear steps coming towards us: it was Vic. He cursed before rushing over to Jack to check his pulse. Jack let out a grumble, relieving me a bit, but it didn't help much. Vic takes out his phone and announces that he would call the paramedics, something I should've done before calling Lizzy. She picked up a scrap of material from the ground examining it. A contorted expression forms on her face as she mumbles under her breath. I stand up to see it, realizing that it was a dance major uniform badge. I shoot up; ready to find the culprit, but she pulled me back, trying to speak some sense into me.

Soon enough, the group starts crashing into the scene, releasing gasps as they get closer. I didn't feel comfortable with this. I wanted them all to leave except for Lizzy and Vic. I don't want Jack to be seen like this. He didn't deserve this. I wanted to tell everyone to leave but knew that it wouldn't work, they all cared for him. After a few minutes of standing around and an occasional weeping, the paramedics arrive with a gurney, lifting Jack cautiously and strapping him in. I quickly plant a kiss on his cheek before they roll away with him. I break down again, head drooping between my knees, sobbing. Everything was going so well, I don't get it. Lizzy whispers something before running off, nobody else taking note of her disappearance. Vic sits beside me, reassuring me that everything was going to be okay, that Jack will be fine.

"He's strong," he whispers to me, "he'll get through it."

"I know," I choke out, "but I don't know if I can."

He rubs my back, trying to hush me, helping me to my feet.

Next thing I know, everyone is in the hospital, waiting for news. Vic and I are isolated in a corner, huddled onto a small couch. I was curled into a ball as he held me close to his chest, saying comforting things that I just wasn't paying attention to. I feel so bad for Jack. This is my fault. If I hadn't started dating him, Max wouldn't have targeted him. Now he's in the hospital and he could be in a coma for all I know. I cry harder at the thought.

"Please Ally," Vic says, "you were doing fine. I know damn well you're probably blaming this on yourself; don't. It's not your fault. You need to be strong for Jack."

"What if Max targets me next?" I ask, looking up at Vic's pained expression.

"Nothing will happen to you, I'll make sure of it."

I try smile in between sobs, but fail to.

"Thanks," I choke out before continuing to weep onto his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
D:

-K_K