‹ Prequel: Temper
Status: Updating Slowly

Stay

Eleven

It was near nine when Zack placed an order for pizza. Amy was already checked into her hotel and Grace had opted to stay with Michelle for the night. She either felt guilty about everything that had happened today, or she was afraid I'd beat her to Mars and back.

"Jimmy just texted me. Brian is out of the hospital," Zack stated, walking into the living room, "He has a broken cheekbone, two black eyes, and a busted lip. The doctors gave him some heavy morphine for the pain. He should be healed in a few weeks," He explained.

"Well, I guess some things don't change," I sighed.

To be honest, I didn't really care about Brian's injuries. I felt indifferent about it. At one point in time I wanted nothing more to beat his face in with my bare hands. It only made sense for me to feel some sort of satisfaction from hearing of his injuries.

He smiled, "He has every right to be pissed at us. We lied for a long time," He stated before sitting down again, this time propping his feet up on the coffee table.

"I honestly didn't think Brian would keep my secret," I confessed. Before Zack could say anything, the sound of the front door opening and closing echoed throughout the house. I groaned, knowing it was probably Grace. She either got bored at Michelle's or realized she didn't have clothes to change into for the next day. Either way I didn't want to see her.

"Couldn't you have called first," I huffed, turning around before stopping suddenly.

I eyed Matt up and down. His hands were busted and bruised. The traces of dried blood led me to believe his hand either got cut badly during the fight, or he hadn't washed all of Brian's blood off. His dark shirt had spots even blacker than the already black fabric, probably more blood he had failed to remove from his body. It was obvious Matt had been in some sort of trouble. Anyone walking down the street would probably think he just murdered someone.

"Way to pop up unannounced," Zack stated, standing up from the couch with a sigh, "I'll be out back smoking if you need me."

He left, shutting the back door behind him and wandering off to the corner until I couldn't see him anymore. I turned around, looking back at Matt who hadn't moved an inch.

"Blood isn't a good look for you," I stated.

He shrugged, "It's not mine."

"Yeah, it's Brian's," I scoffed, "You know it wasn't his fault, right? He was doing what I asked of him. If there's anyone you should be hitting it's me," I stated and his eyes narrowed.

"I know we've been apart for a long time, but do you honestly think I would ever lay a hand on you?" He asked, offended at my statement.

My shoulders slumped, my cold glare turning soft as I shook my head, "No... You'd never hurt me. Not physically at least," I shrugged.

"And I never meant to hurt you emotionally, either," He said and my glare was back.

"But you did, Matt," I hissed.

He ran a hand through his hair, "Why did you tell Brian not to tell me where you were?"

"Why else? I knew Val would leave you and you'd be alone again. I'm not your rebound, Matt," I stated.

His eyes flared with fury and I watched as his muscles tensed, "Do you know what that did to me, Eden?" He demanded, "I ran around for weeks searching for you. Months, even! I postponed a tour, we almost didn't finish the record. I almost lost all my friends because I was so hung up on trying to find you. If I had at least known you were safe-"

"You would have come knocking at my door," I finished with a whisper as tears filled my eyes, "And I would have opened it," I choked out, confessions spilling from my lips all at once.

His face held confusion as he stepped towards me, but I also stepped back to remain my distance, "What?"

"I wanted so desperately for you to come knocking at my door," I whispered, "I hoped and dreamed that we could start over... But we can't, Matt. I know what I was to you, and I can't accept that."

"No," Matt shook his head rapidly. His hand went out to reach mine, only for me to pull it away quickly. He frowned, his hazel eyes becoming wide and round like a lost puppy, "You don't know what you were to me, Eden."

"Don't," I glared, "Don't try to turn this around and save yourself by telling me I'm anything but the crutch you used to get on with your broken life," I snapped.

This time he glared, the sadness floating away from his eyes as he clenched his fists, "Why don't I deserve to explain myself, Eden? Why do you get to run and play the victim when I'm hurting just as much."

"You're hurting because you don't have, Val, you fucking idiot," I snapped.

"God!" He screamed, "Why do you have to fucking be like this, Eden!? God dammit, I was willing to give up everything for you. You jumped to conclusions and ran off! What the hell was I supposed to do!?"

"Move on, Matthew! That's what I've done!" I screamed.

"No you haven't," He scoffed, "You mean to tell me you've moved on from me to other people? Even though you're standing here and crying?"

I put my hands on my hips, blinking back tears, "Did you sleep with anyone else when I was gone?" I asked.

"No," He answered. I almost fainted from the honesty in his eyes. I knew he was telling the truth, "Eden, I tried. I honestly tried to go out and find someone to fuck. Every time we'd end up at my house I couldn't go through with it. It was humiliating, Eden. But I could never be with anyone else but you. Just like I know you wouldn't be with anyone else but me."

My eyes widened and my hands began to sweat. He was being honest. He hadn't been with anyone for four years while I was sleeping with every eligible bachelor in San Francisco.

"You... haven't been with anyone else, have you?" He asked cautiously.

"Um," I shoved my hands in my pockets, "Me and you are different, Matt," I stated softly.

"You were with someone else!?" He yelled.

"What was I supposed to do!? Be alone for the rest of my life!?"

"What was his name?" He asked.

"How should I remember their names?" I scoffed, the words leaving my mouth all too quickly. My hand shot up, covering my lips as my eyes went wide. I had just confessed to Matt that I slept with more guys than I could count, and I couldn't even remember who they were.

"Un-fucking-believable," He shook his head, turning his back from me.

"Matt, wait!" I exclaimed, reaching out for him.

"Don't touch me!" He pushed me away when my fingertips grazed his bicep, "Keep your slutty hands off of me!"

"Matt!" I yelled and he turned away again, escaping out the front door without a single look back at me. My mouth was left hanging open at the empty hallway. The cool marble tile came in contact with my knees when I had given up on supporting my weight. I put my hands on my head, letting out a long and mangled cry as I thought of everything that had just happened.

"Eden?" Zack's calming voice called as I felt his hand on my shoulder.

"H-He-"

"I know," He whispered, "I heard."

"But-" I shook my head.

"Shh," He helped me up and led me to the couch. I sat down, staring at the glass of wine that hadn't been touched since the moments before Matt's arrival. I instantly grabbed it, downing it quickly as my tears continued to stroll down my cheeks.

"Are you sure you want to drink?" He asked, "You're upset."

"Shut up, Zack," I muttered and he sighed, "This isn't strong enough," I stated and got up.

"Eden," He groaned, but I ignored him, entering the kitchen and grabbing the Jack Daniels from the cabinet. I made my way back to the couch, where Zack continued to watch me fall apart as I poured myself a drink.

"You can't stop me. I'm an adult. Just go home, Zack," I stated, taking a big swig of the burning alcohol.

"If you're going to drink I'd rather you do it under my supervision," He replied.

"What am I, five?" I scoffed. He shook his head, reaching forward and grabbing his beer before taking his own sip.

After ten shots, I stopped counting. My head was pounding and I could barely see Zack through my tears. Sometime throughout my drinking escapade, I had made myself comfortable in Zack's side as he turned on the television, drowning my sobs out with run-down sitcoms.

"Zack," I whispered, an empty glass in my hands. We had run out of alcohol a while ago, and I was in no state to get up to go back to the kitchen.

"What?" He asked. Clearly he was annoyed with me, but my drunken ego didn't seem to mind.

"Go get more," I said.

"No," He replied.

"But-"

"Why don't you actually talk about your feelings instead of trying to sleep or drink them away?" He asked and I looked up at him. His green eyes were trying to be angry and menacing, but they softened when they connected with mine, "I'm sorry."

"That was mean," I whispered.

"I know," He nodded.

"I don't talk about it because it hurts," I replied.

"Yeah, I know."

"Do you know what it's like to wake up without someone next to you?" I asked, "Knowing you'll never be loved completely ever again?" I could feel the tears starting to form in my eyes again. As one escaped, trickling down the side of my face, Zack reached out a wiped it away with his thumb.

"Someone is going to love you, Eden. I promise."

I shook my head, "I just want someone to replace him already. I just want someone to love me like he did. I want them to pick up my pieces and stay with me through the night, just like him."

He sighed, "He'll come around. But when he does, you have to let him in. You can't push him away," He stated.

I shook my head, "I'm going to find someone before he comes around. If I can..." I scoffed, "Who could ever love me?"

He frowned, "Hey," He put a hand on my chin to make me look back up at him, "You're beautiful, Eden. You have flaws and scratches on the surface, but you're a beautiful person. If Matt doesn't come around then someone is going to realize how amazing you are and sweep you off your feet. I promise you'll get a happy ending."

I don't know if it was the alcohol or the heartbreak. Something swirling in Zack's green eyes just looked so beautiful at that moment. I suddenly felt warm, staring up at his calm face. I sat up straiter and he raised an eyebrow at me as I stared at him.

"Eden..." He trailed off.

"It should be you," I whispered.

I grabbed his collar and pulled him close. Within seconds my lips were on his and his hands were on my hips.

I kissed Zack Baker.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, I think I owe you all an apology. I haven't been able to update due to a lot of personal matters lately. It's all complicated and boring, but it kept me away from focusing on writing. Now that things in my family are starting to settle down, I'll begin to update again.

For those of you who read Glass, I still won't be updating that for a while. I'm going to focus on finishing this story. I've lost inspiration on that story and can't focus while writing for this one. After this is done I'd like to pick it back up again.

Since I've been away for so long, I think more than one update is in order. After I post this I'll be posting another chapter.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm sorry I haven't replied but I do read them and it encourages me to keep writing. I'm so sorry for the delay and I hope I can continue to update weekly again.