‹ Prequel: Temper
Status: Updating Slowly

Stay

Twelve

There was no ignoring the constant pounding on Matt's front door. As much as he tried to, he just couldn't. It was well past one in the morning and someone had the audacity to be banging on his door. He threw the blankets off of him, grabbing a shirt along the way before making his way to the door, tossing it open angrily.

His eyes saw Zack and he instantly glared, "What the fuck do you want," He spat. He couldn't deny the jealousy he felt with the guitarist. He remembered the way his heart tore when he saw Zack grab Eden's hand back at Brian's house. Every time Eden drove off with Zack somewhere his heart broke a little more.

"It's an emergency," Zack breathed out. Matt noticed that Zack's car was still running in the driveway. His friend's hair seemed to be in every direction and there was no denying how crooked his clothes were. Either Zack had just gotten ran over by a truck, or he was running from the police. Matt couldn't decide which.

"I don't want to put up with your bullshit right now, Zack. It's one in the morning. Go ask Jimmy," He huffed, moving to close the door.

"I can't find Eden!" Zack exclaimed and Matt froze.

"What?" He breathed out.

"She ran off. She was upset and she took off without saying anything. I don't know where she is," Zack explained quickly.

Matt felt his heart beat quicken as panic erupted in his chest. He took a step back, his breathing heavy as he attempted to think clearly.

"W-What happened?" He asked, but Zack remained quiet, "Zack, tell me what happened," He demanded.

"You have to promise not to be mad at me," He replied and Matt furrowed his eyebrows.

"What would I be mad about? What the hell did you do to her!?" He questioned and Zack shook his head slowly.

"A-After you left she freaked out. She started drinking... and I let her," Matt frowned at Zack's start, "But it was only because I thought it was better she was drinking with someone who was watching her, instead of her getting trashed somewhere else. But after a while she started talking. She was so sad and I was trying to comfort her. I was telling her she's beautiful and amazing when..."

"Zack," Matt warned. The gears in his mind had already started moving, but he needed Zack to confirm it.

"Eden kissed me," Zack confessed, "And I kissed back," He continued. Matt's fist clenched, but he somehow managed to hold himself back. Either he was exhausted from his fight with Brian earlier, or he wanted to seem like he didn't care. He held his ground, not moving an inch as he stared at Zack.

Zack couldn't take it anymore. He knew Matt could see right through him. He sighed heavily, giving in as he closed his eyes with worry, "And we made out for quite some time after that..." He trailed off.

Zack wasn't able to open his eyes because Matt's fist had connected with his lower jaw, the area between the neck and the jawline. Zack fell to the ground, fainted like one of the girls Matt would meet after some of his shows.

"Shit," Matt hissed. He regretted letting himself snap before getting anything else out of Zack. He hadn't the slightest clue where Eden had run off to, or how she got there. He huffed, reaching down to help pick up his friend before dragging him through the hall before tossing him on the couch.

He wanted to be mad at Zack for longer. He wanted to shake him until he woke up so he could knock him out again. He couldn't, though, because his mind was distracted by other things.

Where was Eden?

"Where are you?" He whispered as he leaned against the kitchen counter. He knew the more time he spent thinking, the more time he wasted on finding her in one piece. Huntington was a nice little town during the day, but the drunks and partiers would have a field day if any of them found Eden wandering around.

He had to think back. Where, of all places, would Eden go? He had to eliminate some options. She probably wasn't driving, seeing as Zack drove his own car here. He had no idea how drunk she actually was, or if she could have sobered up in her attempt to flee.

His first option was the park. He remembered all those years ago when Eden had run off in just her pajamas and Converse. He remembered how angry he was to think of her running off by herself when he was next door.

"Please be here," He whispered to himself, getting out of the car before looking around the empty park, "Eden!" He yelled, "Eden!" He wandered into the park, checking under every bench and tree for some sign of her. His heart dropped when he realized she wasn't there. There was no way. He knew it in his gut.

He wanted to break down. He wanted to do what Eden would have done and just throw himself on the ground, crying until he couldn't breathe anymore. But that just wasted time. It was nearing three and he needed to find her. He couldn't rest until he at least knew she was safe.

"Where did she go to get away from everything?" He asked himself, knowing no one was around to listen. Whenever things got bad Eden would wander her way to him. She bathed in his comfort, and he knew it. But she wasn't with him, so where could she have gone.

"I'm an idiot," He muttered, running back to the car. He threw it in drive and drove full speed down the street. He parked half-hazardly in the driveway, tossing the car door open before getting out. He walked up the front door, grabbing his keys with shaking hands before pushing it open.

It was completely dark. There hadn't been electricity in his house since he moved out. There was no need to pay another bill for something he didn't need. He shut the door quietly, wandering deeper inside the hallway before he came to the living room.

It was completely the way he had left it. The furniture was probably a little dusty. The only thing missing was his usual video game consoles that he had taken with him to his new place. He didn't bother to remove pictures from the wall, unless they were important. He didn't want to be bothered with the memories when he had decided to leave this house behind.

He wanted to smile at the back door being open. It at least told him someone was here, and it was most likely her. If he weren't in such a state of panic he probably would have laughed. He turned, not seeing any sign of her on the couch. He expected to see her curled up into one of the blankets that remained there.

Sighing, Matt took his leave up the stairs. He wandered into the gym, biting his lip as tears flooded back. The memories of her punching her little heart out in the corner were so vivid, he almost thought she was actually there. His heart tugged as he backed away, heading to the only part of the house that remained.

Matt took in a deep breath, pushing open the bedroom door to see a heap of a girl on the bed, her body shaking with the quiet sobs. He sighed with relief, his body finally relaxing as he saw her brunette hair peeking out from under the covers.

"Eden?" He asked quietly, stepping inside before shutting the door.

She sat up in an instant, eyes wide as she stared at him, "Matt?" She asked, her voice small and weak.

"Yeah," He nodded.

Her lip quivered, "You weren't here," She whispered. He could only imagine the fear the went through her body when she ran into his house, only to discover that he was no where to be found. She didn't have a current address for him.

"Now you know what it feels like," He hissed and her eyes widened. He sighed, shaking his head, "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to say that."

"Where were you?" She whispered, her voice hoarse. Matt could only assume it was because she was exhausted or the alcohol had taken a toll on her vocal chords.

"Home," He replied, "I moved, Eden," He confessed and she looked around, "I didn't sell this place. I just packed up one day and left."

She sniffled, bringing a hand up to wipe some tears away, "I'm so sorry, Matt," She whispered.

"It's okay," He replied. It wasn't okay. He still wasn't okay. He wouldn't be okay until she fully understood that she had hurt him just as much as he hurt her.

"No it's not," She looked up at him, "You were so good to me. I don't know why I would think you wouldn't continue that even after I left."

"You're drunk, aren't you?" He asked.

"Why?" She laughed and he frowned, "Are you mad? Why are you mad?"

He breathed heavily, "Because it doesn't matter how much you confess to me, or how you apologize. What matters is that in the morning you aren't going to remember ever doing it. You'll go back to ignoring me and you'll go back trying to make out with my friends."

She pouted, tears filling her eyes again, "I wanted to replace you."

"I can't handle you telling me this, Eden. Please don't," He shook his head furiously, tears threatening to fall.

"I thought I could find someone who would be just as amazing as you," She continued, ignoring him, "I tried to find you in all of them. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't forget you."

It was then that she reached out. Matt almost pulled away, but he couldn't. Instead, he let Eden take hold of his hand. This time he let the tears fall. It had been so long since he had felt how small her hands were in his. He closed his eyes, taking in the feel of her skin against his. It was exactly as he remembered. It was just like he had dreamed every single night for the past four years.

"I never forgot your hands," She whispered.

"And I never forgot yours," He replied. She pulled him closer to she could nuzzle her cheek into the palm of his hand. He sighed, sitting down on the bed. She made herself at home, crawling over and nuzzling into his side just like a cat. Matt didn't stop her, he just remained still as her breathing slowed and he knew she was asleep.

He stayed there for five minutes, wondering if he should pick her up and take her home before she could realize what had happened, or leave her there to force her to remember it in the morning. His thoughts, however, came interrupted when his phone started to buzz in his pocket. He sighed, fishing it out with the hand that wasn't holding Eden before putting it to his ear.

"Hello?"

"You're a fucking asshole!" He heard Zack scream before there was a rustling movement, replaced by a new voice.

"Well, you've pissed off two of us. You planning to punch anyone else or am I in the clear?" Johnny questioned. He had the help of having Jimmy keep Zack calm on the other side of Matt's living room. Needless to say, Zack was livid when he finally woke up from the sucker punch Matt threw at him.

"I'm done punching," Matt stated, "Tell Zack I'm sorry."

"You can tell him yourself. I'm assuming you found her?" Johnny asked and Matt furrowed his eyebrows together.

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"Zack didn't come over here to ask you where she would be, he already knew. He knew the only right thing to do was for you to get her. You're the reason she's there anyways," Johnny replied.

"Why am I the reason?"

"You knocked him out before he could even explain himself? That's a new record for you," Johnny scoffed.

"Johnny..." Matt warned and he sighed.

"Zack lost some control for a while. To be honest, I don't know how far he would have gone before realizing his mistake. What stopped him was something Eden said," He replied.

"What did she say?"

"Your name," Johnny confessed, "As soon as she called Zack by your name, he pulled away. She was drunk and confused and when he made her realize it, she broke down. Eden asked Zack to get her some water and he went to the kitchen. He was only gone a minute before he came back and she was gone. He drove around for half an hour before he realized where she could have gone. That's when he decided to come get you. Of course, this was all before you decided to punch his lights out."

Matt took everything in. He looked down at Eden. If they were both so broken, why did they act the way they did? Why couldn't they both just accept that they need each other and move on? He wasn't sure why their relationship had to be so complicated. Maybe it was because, even if she is older, she's still that immature girl on the inside. Or maybe it was because he was so hotheaded.

"You still there, Buddy?" Johnny asked and Matt sighed.

"I'm here. Have Zack come get her," He replied.

"No way. You think she wants to see his face when she wakes up in the morning?" Johnny asked, "I'm coming to get her. Lacey took off for the weekend and she doesn't mind her staying in the guest bedroom for the night. After that I think I'll take her to the same hotel her friend Amy is at."

"What ever. Just get over here before she wakes up," Matt hissed.

"Why is it such a big deal?" Johnny asked.

Matt looked down at her, "If she doesn't want to see Zacky because of what she did, she's not going to want to see me in the morning either," He confessed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part two. If you haven't read part one please do so, because this probably didn't make any sense.

Chapter 13 will be up next week.