‹ Prequel: Temper
Status: Updating Slowly

Stay

Two

I tossed the door to my car open, placing the royal blue heels out of the car first before revealing myself completely. I smoothed out the dress I wore before fastening my coat, slamming the car door in the process. I sighed heavily, yawning as I walked across the parking lot towards the blocked off area we would be using for the shoot.

"Good morning, Miss Andersen," A young bright-eyed girl I had never met before smiled as she approached me, "My name is Kelly and I'll be your intern for the day. I brought you a vanilla chai latte to start your morning," She grinned.

"Hm, you might actually survive then," I shrugged as I took the Starbucks cup out of her hand. Her smile faltered slightly, but she stood up straight before returning back to her bubbly state.

"I really do appreciate this opportunity. I've been trying to get this internship for almost a year. You've been a real inspiration to me," She continued.

"Yeah, do me a favor and stop with the kiss-ass. It's not gonna get you anywhere. Now, go to Barbara and tell her I need a full detail from the art director within the next five minutes. Then you can go to the trailers and find me my photographer. Thank you," I stated and she nodded before running off.

"Well, she seems to be holding up," A voice called from behind me. I turned and smiled.

Amy was my partner in crime and my personal assistant. Out of the all the interns I had come across, she had been through the worst of my daunting tasks and actually survived. Amy got it the worst because she got her internship around the same time Avenged took off on another tour. I was a mess and it showed. Amy, however, stuck through it long enough to not only land a job as my assistant, but as my only true friend in San Francisco.

"For now," I smirked, "Where are we with time?" I asked.

She rolled back the sleeve of her fuchsia coat before glancing down at the gold banded watch on her wrist, "We're five minutes late. Two of our models decided it would be smart to take a cab in morning downtown traffic," She smiled sarcastically and I rolled my eyes.

"Well we need to get this moving. I have a lunch meeting at one and it's starting to rain. My hair can only stand the rain for so long," I reminded her and she chuckled.

"Before we get the first shots set up, we need you to approve some looks. They're this way," She noted. I followed her across the sidewalk towards a small make-shit tent the crew had set up to house all of the expensive outfits and accessories for the day. I walked in, watching as the models got dressed in their first looks.

"Here we are," Amy stated, pulling out a briefcase of several pieces of jewelry I would never be able to afford, "I know the article is about winter jewelry trends, but Cartier hasn't renewed their publicity contract with us. I wasn't sure if you wanted us using their new bracelets in this spread. Also, the art director chose silver to go with the beige gown in the first look, but I know you'd like gold better. I need an approval before I tell her to change it," She explained.

"No on the Cartier bracelets. Let's go with the Tiffany's we used in the last shoot. And yes, absolutely change it to gold. God forbid Martha sees another silver pendant in her spread," I rolled my eyes, mentioning my boss Martha. She was in charge of overseeing all of the articles and fashion spreads that went into making this magazine. She also just happened to be the biggest pain in my ass.

Before Amy could ask anything else, my forgotten intern ran back up to me, out of breath, "Miss Andersen, the art director says the details are in the email she sent you. The photographer is already out setting up by the lake," She said and she paused.

"Anything else?" I asked.

"Well, your phone was sitting out and it kept ringing over and over again. I answered it for you..." She trailed off and I glared.

"I never gave you permission to answer my phone," I snapped.

"Yes, I'm sorry, but a girl named Grace was calling. She said she was your sister and she said the matter was urgent. She said it was an emergency," She explained.

I glared before turning to Amy, "Deal with her and get this thing started," I demanded and she nodded, ushering the intern out of the tent.

I walked back towards my car, seeing the table that housed my things on it. The least the girl could of done was actually bring me my phone after answering it. I fished the iPhone out of my bag before scrolling through the seventeen missed calls I had from Grace. I groaned, hoping she wasn't in one of her 'fighting for love' moods she got in. Sometimes when Matt got back from tour, she'd be extra careful to make sure she made my life a living hell by reminding me that he was single and looking for me.

"I'm at work," I stated once Grace's timid voice answered, "You have thirty seconds to tell me what the fuck is so important before I hang up."

"I'm not one of your slaves, Eden, so don't treat me like one," I heard her choke out. It was no secret that she was fighting back tears.

"Grace? What's wrong?" I asked, suddenly worried by the tone of her voice. This wasn't the usual bubbly and cheerful Grace that usually called. This was much different.

"I-It's Mom," She whispered.

My heart stopped. I hadn't spoken to my mother in a month. Between work and arguing with her about coming back home, I didn't bother to pick up the phone to ever call her.

"What's wrong?" I asked again.

She sniffled, "It happened last night," She said, "She was crossing an intersection when a drunk driver slammed the driver's side."

No.
That's impossible.

She let out a long cry, "T-They tried to save her, Eden. They did everything they could."

"No," I shook my head, "No, don't tell me that. They can do something. They have to do something, Grace," I stated quickly.

"She died this morning, Eden. Around one in the morning they said there was nothing left they could do," She revealed, breaking down once more.

I ignored the bustling models and dresses around me. Instead, the world stopped. I could feel myself going lightheaded as I gripped the side of my car for support, before sliding down to the ground. In the distance I could see Amy look over me, ignoring her conversation with the photographer as she slowly made her way towards me.

"She's gone?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"Eden, I know I always ask you to come home for other reasons... but I'm begging you. Please come home," She begged.

"When is the funeral?" I asked.

"A few days. I haven't figured it out yet. I was hoping you would give me some help," She said softly. I sighed. Work was piling up on my desk, but Amy was going to have to handle it. I couldn't let Grace do this alone.

Grace was weak. She needed time to cry and process. I needed to pick up everything and get this sorted out before she snapped. Even with all the clubs she joined in high school, Grace never handled pressure well.

I pushed aside the pain in my heart before taking a deep breath, trying to catch at least one of the million questions I had running through my head.

"Okay. Do you remember which cemetery in San Diego she wanted to be buried?" I asked.

"She didn't want to be buried there. She wanted her funeral to be here... in Huntington."

I froze. I hadn't been home since I had left. Four years of holidays and birthdays away from a place I had tossed aside, just like I did with San Diego. Now, Grace was asking too much of me.

"Grace..."

"Don't be selfish," She snapped, "In four years we've never asked for anything, Eden. All I ask is that you're here for her."

"Grace, I don't think-"

"Don't you dare put him before her. Just don't!" She exclaimed and I froze, startled by her sudden outburst. I heard her sniffle again before she sighed, "Please, Eden..."

"Okay," I gave in, "I'll be there tomorrow."

I didn't wait for other instruction. Instead, I hung up the phone and sat there in a daze. Despite the pain in my heart, my eyes remained dry as I watched Amy quickly approach me, concern etched on her face.

"Eden, what's wrong?" She demanded, kneeling down to meet my level. She avoided getting her patterned tights on the muddy floor, but showed sympathy when she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"My mom died," I stated as if it were the easiest thing in the world.

"Oh... Eden, I'm so-"

I cut her off before she continued. I stood, brushing off any dirt and mud that got on my coat before tossing my hair off my shoulders, "I need you to finish this shoot and have the proofs emailed to me today by four. When you get back to the office, I need you to separate which articles are going to press this week, and which ones can be put on hold."

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"Huntington," I sighed as I fished for my keys from my purse, "I'm going to my mother's services and I'll be back. I should be home within a few days."

She looked at my sadly, "Is there anything I can do for you besides that?" She asked and I shook my head.

"No. I don't think there's much anyone can do for me right now," I confessed before unlocking my car. I slid into the front seat, earning strange looks from my interns and other coworkers before I revved the engine. I sped off down the street, not looking back.