Light and Shadow

v - vi - vii

Tension was at an all time high between them during their fifth year. Umbridge's presence put a strain on all of the students, but it hardly divided loyalties anywhere as much as between Aurelia Luxe and Draco Malfoy. The recent activities of Dumbledore's Army was garnering attention and the Inquisitorial Squad was put to the task of investigating.

He had a firm grip on her wrist. The golden blonde girl was forced to plod after him as he lead her down the empty hallways at a hurried pace. She had seen the fury and betrayal in his eyes when he first caught sight of her, but he'd only grabbed her by the arm and rushed her away before anyone else found them. He had yet to say anything, but Aurelia held her tongue in wait. She knew his words would make its way to the surface soon enough.

"That was stupid, Rel," Draco hissed, tone sharp and anger swelling in his strides. "Didn't I tell you not to get on Umbridge's bad side?"

"I told you, Draco," Aurelia replied, not backing down. "I stand by what I believe in, no matter who I cross."

"I can't believe this. You're a bloody loon!"

"And I can't believe you've actually offered yourself up to be Umbridge's dog."

Draco stopped and turned on her with a vicious glare, which she returned with a quietly defiant eye.

"Let go of me, Draco," she murmured.

"No."

"I'm a member of DA," she announced.

"Dammit, Rel. No, you're not!" Draco was seething.

Aurelia and Draco traded silent, warring glares for a moment longer before she sighed. Finally, she slipped her wand from a pocket in her sleeve and arced it gracefully into the air.

"Expecto Patronum," she uttered.

Silver slipped from the tip of her wand and took the form of a tiny hummingbird that fluttered back and forth before flying forth into nothing. Draco looked amazed as Aurelia tucked her wand away and smiled at him a little cheekily.

"How the bloody hell did you learn to do that?" He asked.

"Magic," Aurelia teased, taking her wrist back from his loosened grip to continue walking down the hall.

Draco appeared mildly flabbergasted for a few moments before his face twisted into a scowl again. He set off after her at a quickened pace, realizing that he'd been duped.

"Rel, this isn't over!" He insisted.

Aurelia looked over her shoulder once before she started running, unable to stop an amused giggle from escaping her lips. Draco continued to spout all kinds of threats, but when it was apparent that she wasn't about to heed any of them and slow down, he took off after her in a sprint.

xxx

Aurelia was one of the first to visit Draco in the hospital wing. He looked up at her, vague shadows under his eyes as she peered at him with worry in hers. He didn't say anything as she approached him under the cloak of night and sat down at the edge of his bed. Her brows furrowed and a mild pout sat on her mouth when she realized that he refused to look at her. It had been weeks since he'd snapped at her when she last confronted him in the empty classroom. But when she'd caught wind of the near fatal incident in between the Malfoy heir and the Boy Who Lived, Aurelia couldn't stay away.

"Draco, what's going on?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Rel," he murmured, looking pointedly in the other direction.

She looked down and picked at the sheets, trying to push past the terse silence that covered what neither of them wanted to say. Things had changed so drastically in the past year and Aurelia was finding it harder and harder to maintain her grasp on the boy she'd come to know. He was drifting away from her, slipping through her fingers.

She was losing him.

"No one will say anything," she whispered. "Vincent and Gregory rarely see you these days, but they won't tell me a thing. I'm not stupid, Draco. Something is going on… and I'm scared."

"There's no reason for you to be scared, Rel," Draco said, softening slightly. "You'll see. I'm doing this for us."

Her eyes were gazing at him again, dismantling his intricate front and stripping him of his mask. Aurelia must have seen something because her eyes grew glassy with unshed tears.

"What are you so afraid of?" Aurelia asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Draco watched her through the dark, jaw tightening as his knuckles turned white against the covers. He could never tell her the truth, nor would he even want to. The burden of the sin was his to bear and his alone, even if it meant hurting the golden haired Hufflepuff sitting in front of him.

"I can't say," Draco murmured, casting his eyes to his hands.

He honestly expected that she would leave without another word and that would be the end of their friendship. But she remained. Aurelia shifted, sliding up the edge of the bed as she pulled her legs up under her and found his hands with hers. She didn't say anything, but Draco got the impression that this time was different from the rest.

They remained that way for a long time and it wasn't until Aurelia gave his hand a gentle squeeze did he look up. Her blue eyes were like liquid crystals in the moonlight and she was watching him with melancholy.

"This path you're on is the path that will take you away from me," Aurelia said gently. "But I'm not ready to let you go, Draco."

"I'm not going anywhere, Rel," he replied before he even knew what he was saying. "I'll still be here."

They both knew that he only spoke sweet lies to avoid the undeniable truth, but neither of them had the heart to call him out on it. Aurelia only offered him a transparent smile and sought to take them to lighter conversation, as she always did. It had always worked in the past, but tonight they could only seem to manage sad smiles and weak chuckles. Darkness loomed and they knew that it was only a matter of time before everything changed.

xxx

The entire castle trembled in the wake of the crashing barrier that had been spun all around them. Aurelia Luxe, a seventh year Hufflepuff, stood steadfast and poised. Her long fingers curled loosely around the inscribed juniper wand that had served her faithfully in all her years at Hogwarts. And now it would aide her in defending it to her last breath. Her tranquil blue eyes stared up at the sky lit afire as the silvery shield dissolved and floated down in fragmented pieces. The final battle was imminent and the air was thick with anticipation and resolve.

The first curse was cast seconds after the first inky wisp of darkness apparated into the Hall.

Aurelia instinctively moved a fourth year Ravenclaw aside as her arm came up to deflect a curse meant to kill. With another motion of her wrist, the dark wizard was launched back with a terrifying force.

All hell broke loose shortly after that as Hogwarts engaged the enemies with a dedicated cause: to protect the school that had always been loyal to them. That battle was vicious and try as Aurelia might, lives were being lost all around her. She wanted to stop and cry, mourn the death of her classmates, but the urge to continue their fight transcended her grief.

She encountered him in the first floor girls' restroom. Her long hair tumbled chaotically and magnificently over her shoulders in a lively cascade of spun gold. Her steps were careful, yet unafraid as she drew closer to him. Her quiet eyes pierced into his soul through the mirror's reflection. The last time they met was on the edge of the Forbidden Forest the year before.

"Malfoy," she uttered, coming to a halt and watching him with calculated calm.

"Luxe," he returned, terse and cordial as he eyed her reflection with caution. "It isn't too late."

"I knew it would come down to this," Aurelia murmured. "And I've told you before where I stand on the matter."

"Aurelia, please."

"I'll protect you," she said suddenly, stepping forward. "Just don't do this anymore, Draco. I'll keep you safe."

"But you can't," Draco laughed bitterly, turning around. "Nobody can."

"Just have a bit of faith, Draco," she whispered. "In me."

"I'm sorry, Aurelia."

Aurelia appeared utterly shattered as her blue eyes began to tremble and she let her gaze fall to the tile floor. Even though she knew, it still hurt to fully realize the truth. She lifted her eyes to him once more, as if trying to preserve his image as she knew it in her mind.

"I'm sorry too, Draco…"

And then she was gone, leaving him alone within the crumbling walls of the enchanted school.

He sank deeper into his darkness and sorrow.

He would never see the seventh year Hufflepuff's constant blue eyes or her golden hair again.

And if he did, she would no doubt be his sworn enemy.