Status: This story's loosely based facts are focused SOLELY on the show "The Originals." It in no way relates to Vampire Diaries.

In Cold Blood

Chapter 3: Free Will

"Klaus!" Just as Madeleine felt a stinging against her throat, Klaus was suddenly flying back, against the wall. It took her eyes a second to realize that Elijah had traced over and grabbed Klaus around the waist, pulling him back and slamming him against the far wall.
Klaus was struggling against Elijah, seemingly forgetting he was a vampire, using only his arms to try to shove him off.
"Klaus, no!" Elijah yelled. "This isn't right! You know you cant take away her free will!"
"Like Hell I can't," Klaus snarled. "I'll do what I have to do to keep her alive!"
Elijah grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him, bouncing him off the wall. "Why, Klaus! Why do you want to save her?"
"What do mean, why!" Klaus yelled back in his face, trying to push his arms off.
"Tell me why you want to save her!" Elijah yelled, pushing him back against the wall.
"Because I care about her!" Klaus roared, shoving Elijah so hard it seemed he finally realized he was a vampire.
"Then why would you go against her will and hurt her?" Elijah yelled back. "This isn't the way, Klaus."
Klaus was heaving, shaking, his eyes still wild and darting around the room like a caged animal.
"Klaus." Madeleine's weak voice drifted over to the men, who both visibly jerked back to reality, Elijah looking guilty and apologetic.
"Madeleine." Klaus rushed to her side, kneeling on the floor by her head and looking tortured. "I'm. . . . I'm sorry."
"It's alright." Her voice was still faint, and her throat was still stinging from the shallow cut. She raised a hand to touch it, but Klaus beat her to it, running his fingers gently over the wound. Madeleine shivered against his cool hand, but leaned into the touch before Klaus could pull away.
Klaus glanced up at her, hesitantly. "May I. . . . can I heal it for you?"
Madeleine smiled slightly. "Please." She knew what was coming and felt a thrill of excitement spike her blood.
Klaus leaned over her, placing a hand against her jaw to steady both himself and her, and gently ran his tongue over the shallow cut. It healed over instantly.
Madeleine's skin broke out in goosebumps, and she shivered. Klaus pulled back. "Am I too cold?"
"No," she said quickly. "Don't go. Stay." She impulsively grabbed his arm and pulled him back.
Klaus smiled faintly, a shadow of his cocky smile, but it was now mixed with faint amusement and fondness. "Okay, love." He stood up and sat on the couch next to her, draping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her into him.
"Will you stay with me tonight?" she asked lightly. She was terrified of nighttime, terrified of dying alone.
Klaus tilted her chin up to meet his eyes. "From now on, I'm not letting you out of my sight."
From the doorway, Elijah smiled.