The Boy on the Blue Moon

CHAPTER FIVE - VIC

I was feeling quite confused as I walked away from the kitchen, leaving Kellin with an irritated, yet concerned, Justin. My mind was a mix of worry, fear and curiosity towards him. I knew that getting too close would be risky, but I couldn’t help it. He seemed really disturbed tonight and I felt he needed some sort of assistance. I was starting to realize that maybe, beneath that façade of a tough guy, he was nothing more than a frightened kitten. But of course, the tough guy façade was already enough to make me reconsider getting anywhere near him. The music was low and I doubted there was any beer left right now. I should be thankful for that; I was so dizzy I don’t think I could handle another sip of alcoholic beverage. I could still catch a thing or two from the conversation between Kellin and Justin. Their voices echoed from the kitchen and I could swear I heard something about suicide. I quickly brushed that thought away as I saw Jaime coming to me with a strange look in his eyes. He was walking faster than usual and it didn’t take long till we were face to face. He grabbed my sleeve and pulled me to a corner.
- I saw Quinn talking to you earlier, he looked like he could use some manners… - he said firmly.
- So what? – I replied, unconsciously taking up a defensive attitude.
- He did it, didn’t he? – he pointed at the bruise under my eye.
- I don’t know what you mean. - I tried to dismiss, but before I could finish I was being pushed against the wall, and not in the good way.
- What are you gonna do, hit me? – I tried to sound calm but I spoke way too fast. Thankfully, Jaime came to his senses and backed off. He looked away from me for a moment, clearly frustrated. He was used to getting answers to his questions the minute he asked for them. I was starting to feel bad for taking him out of his comfort zone, but it was for the common good.
- Just forget about it, okay? - I said, gently rubbing my hand against his back. I’m not sure whether it was the light or just my mind playing tricks but Jaime looked really attractive right now, his protective ways towards me were a big turn on. Maybe the beer was to blame, but I don’t know. When I managed to look him in the eye, I had the strange feeling he felt the same towards me. Suddenly, his hand reached for my shirt collar and next thing I knew we were kissing heavily like there was no tomorrow. I had no idea what got into me, but damn it felt good. I suppressed a moan when Jaime started sucking hard on my neck, probably leaving a hickey or two.
-You’re a tough cookie – he said with a playful smile on his lips. I broke the kiss when his hand went down for my jean’s zipper. He was an okay lover, but it was already going too far. I pushed him away slowly.
-We should probably get the others and leave… - I said, avoiding his eyes.
- I’m sorry if I broke the line with you, princess – he started. He was drunk, and it was plain to see. I allowed myself to half smile at the situation, but then I saw it. It was only for a second, but my eyes met Kellin’s as he was leaving the kitchen, scouted by Justin. Although he was wrecked by whatever he’d taken tonight, I could see fire burning in his eyes as they darkened. It was obvious he saw me with Jaime. I was still unsettled by what happened when Mike and Tony stumbled across us.
- Oh, there you are! – Mike shouted, even though we were barely two palms away from each other. He’d also taken a few more shots than he should have, and Tony had a retarded smile on his lips and his eyes were a red and small, like he was about to fall asleep, so I figured he’d smoked a joint or two.
- Let’s just go… - I said, starting out towards the doorstep. They followed me at once and we set off to the short walk that would take us home.
It’s amazing how, when you’re dizzy (not to say drunk) and sleepy as fuck, even a 15 minute walk can turn into a hike. I could barely feel my legs as I got home and I never thought it’d be so hard to climb up the stairs to my bedroom. No wonder I just fell into the bed and blacked out. It wasn’t very comforting to hear the sound of my alarm clock only three hours later. I heard Mike’s footsteps getting louder as he climbed up the stairs to make sure I wouldn’t get us late.
- How’re you feeling, bro? – he asked in a husky voice.
- Remind me never to attend a party on Monday again – I mumbled.
- Newbie – he said with a cocky smile.
- I’m nearly two years older than you, prick! – I tried to shout, but my voice failed and I pronounced the sentence with a high-pitched voice worthy of a seventh grade boy.
- Aw, that’s so cute – Mike replied, clearly mocking the incident. I set off to chase him but my knees didn’t cooperate so I tripped as he went laughing down the stairs. I eventually managed to follow him and join my parents at the breakfast table but I wasn’t hungry at all. All I could think about was the look in Kellin’s eyes at the party. I still hoped he’d remember I tried to help him with his hallucinations or whatever and wouldn’t give me hell over the thing with Jaime, but deep down I knew it wouldn’t make a fucking difference whether I helped him or not. I had kissed a guy in front of him, I was asking for it. I still hadn’t brushed that thought out of my mind when Jaime came to talk to me on the school bus. I could tell he was feeling awkward about last night because he was avoiding eye contact.
- Ehh, about what happened at the party… - he started, running his hand nervously on the back of his head. He actually looked kind of cute when he was nervous.
- It’s okay, Jaime. I know I’m too hot to turn down. – I smiled. He smiled back, suddenly casting away his embarrassment on the situation.
- Asshole – he said with a frisky smile. We just laughed and the rest of the trip went pretty normal, except I was really nervous about meeting Kellin (running into talvez fique melhor?) this morning and a little bit hangover. As we got off the bus, I noticed my hands were shaking and it only got worse as I entered the school building. It’s funny how, when you desperately want to avoid someone, you always end up crossing paths with them. So it happens that I see Kellin standing near my locker, staring at me in a way that froze every single inch of my body. My guts told me to turn around and run like my life depended on it, but I knew it wouldn’t make a difference. If he didn’t catch me now, he’d catch me at lunch, if not at lunch then some other time, there was no way out, so I figured I’d face the situation with all the possible dignity there was to it and went up to him.
- What’s up, faggot?! – he said as soon as I approached him. I noticed Justin, Gabe and his other pals standing behind him.
- You can’t even approach a freshman without your body guards and I’m the faggot? – I replied. It’s unbelievable how I can’t manage to keep my mouth shut in times like this. He was speechless for a second, and that’s what it took for Jesse to come straight to me with his fist closed tight. He was about to throw the first punch when Kellin stopped him.
– I think he needs a little bit of water to swallow up this cocky smile – he finished, dragging me towards the bathroom by my shirt’s collar as the others stayed put. I knew what was coming next and I tried stopping it with all my might, but Kellin was surprisingly strong and I couldn’t break from his grip. He flung one of the stall’s door open and pulled me in. He kicked my knee’s league strongly so my legs bent and I bowed in front of the toilet seat. He grabbed the back of my head forcefully and was about to shove my face on the water when I heard footsteps strumming into the bathroom. He loosened his hand a little bit and that was enough for me to get rid of his grip and run. I was able to get pass his watchmen unnoticed so I went for my next class, trying not to draw much attention to myself as I walked faster than usual. I didn’t even know who was it that came into the bathroom and whether he meant to help me or was just passing by, but I owed this person big time. I was breathing heavily as I walked in the classroom, hoping that another savior would come for me again at lunch time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Liking it so far? Let us know!