Status: Complete.

Fight or Flight

Ten

“You look like you’re having a good time,” Matt’s voice floated over the music.

“I am,” Veronica nodded, looking over her shoulder to smile at him. She returned to her pool game against Brian, bending over the edge of the table. She wiggled a bit to get to a precise angle and closed one eye, staring down the wooden pool stick. She went for the shot, pushing the white cue ball. The last ball was pocketed.

“God dammit!” Brian cursed, dropping his pool stick onto the table.

“Glad we didn’t bet money on this,” Veronica grinned, placing her pool stick down. “You’d be shit outta luck.”

“I’m never playing pool with you again,” He said playfully. “Good job.”

“The girl’s got skills,” Val said from beside her. “Pretty much no one has ever beat Brian.”

“Well, now someone has,” She gloated, walking away from the table. She went back to the group’s booth to sit down for a few minutes. Everyone else was dispersed throughout the bar, so she was the only person at the table.

Pool is sort of fun, she thought. She never exactly understood the hype around a game of pool until she reached adulthood and started going to parties. It was never her favorite and for a long time, she was no good at it. However, her sniper and rifle training obviously had a positive transfer of learning to the game.

“There you are,” Matt slipped into the seat across from Veronica. “You want another drink before the bar closes?”

She shook her head, “I’m fine. Is it that late already?”

She took her phone from her purse to check the time. It was already one o’clock in the morning and the bar closed in an hour.

“Yeah, it is,” He said.

“I should get home,” She said. “I don’t want to wait too late and I’m planning on sleeping in.”

Matt chuckled, “Come on. I’ll walk you to your car.”

Veronica stood up and put her bag over her shoulder. She followed Matt through the crowd to the entrance. She didn’t socialize with him as much as she’d hoped to tonight. He seemed to distance himself and check in on her to make sure she was alright throughout the night. However, she did get the opportunity to hang out with the others and Val. She wasn’t too sure about the other women.

“I think you guys took up all the parking spots, so I had to park down the block,” She broke the silence jokingly.

“Not a problem,” Matt said.

They continued to walk through the parking lot and to the sidewalk.

“So, um, which one of the girls in there is yours?” She blatantly asked while they walked.

“What?” Matt laughed out loud. “None of them. I’m actually single.”

She was glad that her question didn’t throw him off or seem offensive. Though, she was surprised that he was single.

“Why do you ask?” He asked.

She shrugged, “I mean, I figured out that Michelle and Brian are together. Meagan and Zacky, I think. Johnny and Lacey is a couple. I thought that Val was-”

“Val’s a good person and I love her like family,” He cut her off. “We’re definitely not for each other, though.”

“Okay,” She nodded.

“What about you and your friend that we met in Iraq?” He asked.

Veronica’s eyebrows came together as she thought of whom Matt was talking about.

“Nate?” She asked. “He’s just my best friend and occasionally my boss. That’s it. It’s weird that everyone assumes that we’re together.”

“Hm,” Matt nodded at the information.

“This is my car,” She stopped at a shiny, black Range Rover. She dug in her purse for her keys.

“You’re okay to drive, right?” He asked with concern.

“I’m fine. I didn’t drink that much. I knew I had to get home,” She said.

“Alright,” He took her word. He gave her a one arm hug.

“Thanks for inviting me,” She mumbled as she wrapped her arms around him.

“You’re free to join us anytime, you know,” He said, letting go of her.

“Thank you.” She moved around the front of the car to the driver’s side.

“Text or call me when you get home so I know you’re safe,” He told her.

“Will do. Night, Matt,” She waved before getting into her car.

He waved at her before she drove off, honking her horn at him. He watched her drive away until he couldn’t see the car anymore.

***


When Veronica got home, she was exhausted. She kicked off her sneakers and undressed, changing into her pajamas. She poured herself a cold glass of water and switched off the lights in her kitchen and living room. She settled in her comfortable bed with her water to rehydrate and turned the television on for background noise. She was glad she didn’t have to work in the morning and could sleep in however late she pleased. She needed to catch up on her rest.

Her sleepy mind reminded her of what Matt had said. She grabbed her phone from her nightstand and began to type out a message to the best of her ability with one eye closed.

Made it home safe. Thanks again- Scottie
♠ ♠ ♠
So I gained 17 subscribers after that last chapter and I only got THREE comments! Also I have 108 subscribers and only 36 recs. When you subscribe, you should rec too.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I'm really not. I just want to know what you guys like and dislike. I want to know how I'm doing. Please tell me. xx