‹ Prequel: Do I?

Drink a Beer

Two

The nurse said that I could come back and take Brooklyn home tomorrow. I sighed and called my mom. I had a game later that night and I had already called and told Dan what had happened and I wasn't going to play.

"What's wrong sweetie?" My mom asked concerned because I never called her on game days.

"Rachael's gone."

"What do you mean she's gone?" My mom asked confused

"She was in a car wreck and they could only save the baby"

"Sidney, why don't you come home for a few days" she said with sympathy in her voice.

"That was my plan" I sighed

"Okay I'll see you and........"

"Brooklyn" I finished for her

"In two days?" She asked

"Yeah" I sighed.
------------------------------------------
Two days later was Rachael's funeral up in Coal Harbour. I really didn't want to take Brooklyn to her own mother's funeral but I had to since no one could watch her. The whole town of Coal Harbour and all of our friends were there. Max gave her eulogy and burst into tears. It was a sad day. I walked up in front of everyone and started to talk about Rachael.

"She was my best friend. We've been friends since birth and we even shared the same birthday. She was the only girl I ever loved and she was my other half. We had our ups and downs over the years but the greatest thing that she ever gave me was our daughter Brooklyn," I said and glanced at Vero holding Brooklyn. "I don't know how she could stand me being gone all the time and I was selfish the first time she went on tour and I made a horrible mistake and some how she forgave me. I just don't know how she did it. She was special and the only part that I have left of her is Brooklyn." I said and walked back to my seat with teary eyes. It was finally time to lower her casket into the ground and that's when I completely lost it. All my teammates hugged me and cried along with me. Especially Geno and Jordan. They were both like brothers to Rachael and they were crying just as badly as I was. It was finally time to leave.

"Mom can you take Brooklyn home?" I asked

"Sure thing Sid" she said and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and my dad gave me a hug. I walked over to he grave and said,

"This isn't goodbye we'll be together again someday." And walked back to my car. I didn't go home right away. I drove down to the lake that we used to always go to as kids and sat down on the pier to stay and watch the sunset. I thought back to the memories we had here.......

Flashback when Rachael and Sid were eight....

"Come on you sissy!" Rachael yelled at me while climbing up a tree right beside the lake.

"But what if one of us falls?" I asked warily

"You need to stop being so safe Sidney! Get a little adventurous!" She yelled while she kept climbing up the tree.

"I'm adventurous!" I argued and started to climb to the tree.

"Are you sure?" She asked while sitting on a sturdy tree limb.

"I'm positive!" I argued back more and sat with her on the tree limb. "Wait! You tricked me!" I said with a frown.

"If that's all I have to do then I'm set." She laughed

"Shut up" I laughed. We sat up there for at least and hour and climbed down.

Flashback to when they were fifteen......

Rachael and I walked through the woods to get to the lake that we had spent so much time at over the years hand in hand.

"So what happens to us if you get drafted in three years?" She asked with sadness in her eyes.

"Well, you can come with me." I said with a smile.

"Promise?" She asked

"Promise." I smiled and so did she. We walked down to the pier and say down.

"I love the sunset" she said with a smile and looked and the pinks, oranges, and yellows in the sky.

"So do I" I said

"It's so pretty"

"Not as pretty as you"

"Sid, do realize that's really cheesy?" She laughed

"Hey I tried" I smiled

"And I appreciate that." She said and we kissed.

"I love you." I said

"I love you too" she replied and put her head on my shoulder.

Summer of 2008........

"I think your going to win the Stanley cup this year" she said with a smile as we sat on the pier with two beers and our feet in the water.

"Really? How?" I asked

"I don't know I just have this feeling" she said with a smile.

"I hope we do. It would be awesome" I grinned.

"And I would be there cheering" she said with a smile.

"And maybe have a little celebration after" I said wiggling my eyebrows.

"Your so perverted" she laughed

"Awww you love me" I said with a smile

"I do" she said and I expected a kiss but she pushed me in the water.

"What was that?" I said while laughing.

"A surprise" she said and jumped in the water.
End of Flashbacks

That was the last time we were here together. I was determined to make new memories here with Brooklyn an tell her all the stories that came with this spot. I took the last swig of the beer I'd brought and started to walk back to my car.