‹ Prequel: Do I?

Drink a Beer

Three

"Come on daddy!" A now five year old Brooklyn yelled.

"I'm coming!" I said. She had so much energy. We were back in Coal Harbour for the summer and I was going to show her the lake for the fist time. She waited for me and I picked her up and carried her the rest of the way since she was tired of running.

"Is this where you and mommy used to go?" She asked

"Yeah. Since we were as little as you." I said and we sat down on the edge of the pier where Rachael and I had had our first kiss.

"Daddy what was mommy like?" Brooklyn asked

"She was really nice, she was really pretty and out of daddy's league," Brooklyn laughed "and she was the only girl I loved." I said. Brook probably didn't understand some of it but I would definitely tell her about Rachael when she was older. I pulled out the juice boxes for Brooklyn and I. I was going to start a new tradition with my daughter. It was a kids version of what Rach and I used to sit here and do.

"How do you get these things open?!" I said with frustration.

"Here daddy" she said and poked a hole through the top.

"You remind me so much of mommy. She had to help me with stuff too." I laughed and so did Brooklyn.

"We sat there and drank our juice boxes and watched the sunset. I looked over at Brooklyn and saw that she had a smile on her face.

"I think mommy's here" she said.

"I think so too" I said and put Brooklyn on my lap.

"I wish I met her" Brooklyn said with sadness in her voice

"You'll meet her someday" I said and Brooklyn laid her head on my chest.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you"

"I love you too Brooklyn" I said and a tear rolled down my cheek. All of a sudden there was a gust of wind that came out of nowhere. That's when I knew that Rachael was here with us. She may not be here with us physically but she was still here with us. I looked down to a sleeping Brooklyn in my arms and smiled. She looked exactly like Rachael even down to that famous drool. I smiled and sat there. There wasn't a day that I didn't think about her. I haven't found anyone else like her and I knew I wasn't going to. She was special. She put up with all my shit through the years and now she was gone. I took her for granted and the only thing that I have left of her is Brooklyn. It's been five years since she died and I still haven't gotten over it. Some nights I just cried myself to sleep. Other nights Brooklyn climbed into my bed and cried with me. I just wish Rachael was here to see her grow up and help plan her wedding which won't be for a long time since I'm not letting her date until she's forty. I gathered up all of our things and stood up. I looked back at the lake one more time, smiled, and walked back to my car with Brooklyn in my arms.

Rachael's POV (She's a ghost)
I knew Sid was going to be a really good dad. Just seeing him with Brooklyn made me smile. I missed Sidney and I missed Brooklyn. I remembered when I first told Sid I was pregnant. He practically tackled me and kissed me a million times. I smiled as I thought back to that day. When Brooklyn said that she loved Sid that just made my heart swell. She was such a sweet little girl and I wish that I had held her in my arms. She looked just like me but she had Sid's mouth with those plump lips. She had my hair, eyes, nose, and long legs like mine. She was a beautiful little girl. I sighed and saw that Sid was about ready to leave with Brooklyn fast asleep in his arms. I watched him get up and walk back to his car. I followed him like the stalker ghost I was. I noticed that he still had his bubble butt and I let out a small laugh. He went to his Rage Rover and strapped Brooklyn in her car seat and walked to the drivers side door.

"I miss you Rach" he whispered

"I miss you too Sid" I whispered back and he got in the Range Rover and drove away.