‹ Prequel: Do I?

Drink a Beer

Five

Brooklyn's POV
I texted my dad and told him that I was hanging out with Dimitri and I sighed. Austin went too far. He knew not to talk about my mom that way. That was one thing that everyone could use against me. I drove to Dimitri's house and Geno and Natasha greeted me at the door.

"Hey Brooklyn!" Geno yelled. He still acted like a kid even though he was 38.

"Hi Geno" I said and gave him a hug.

"What wrong?" He asked when he saw that my eyes were red and puffy.

"Not now Dad" Dimitri warned and Geno and Natasha nodded their heads.

"Wanna go upstairs?" Dimitri asked

"Yeah" said while new tears formed in my eyes. Dimitri rubbed soothing circles on my back while walking upstairs.

"I hate Austin" I said with tears in my eyes while pacing around the room.

"Come here" Dimitri said and patted the spot on the couch beside him. I walked over and sat beside him. I put my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around me. We turned on the TV and TMZ was on.

"I honestly want to punch paparazzi in the face" I said.

"You would punch anyone in face right now. Even me and my amazingly handsome one" Dimitri joked

"It's okay I guess" I said with a smirk.

"This is waaaaaaaaaay more than just okay" he said motioning to his face.

"Well first of all the accent is a chick magnet, and then you have the tall dark and handsome look and you're muscular since you play hockey an everything" I said.

"Are you saying I'm handsome?" He asked with a smile.

"I uh um uh" I stammered while blushing.

"Don't worry I think you gorgeous" he whispered in my ear and a shivered.

I looked at him and he kissed me. I didn't kiss back at first because it was in utter shock. It wasn't like I kissed him, no he was the one who kissed me. We both pulled away to someone clearing their throat. We pulled away and saw Geno standing there with a grin on his face.

"I knew it" he said with a grin

"Dad just leave" Dimitri said coldly and Geno frowned and left.

"So uh" I said running a hand through my curly locks that I usually straightened.

"Sorry about my Dad" Dimitri apologized.

"It's okay he's awesome" I said with a smile and Dimitri just frowned. What was going on with the two of them? There was this thick tension in the air when they were in the same room. But why was Dimitri so cold towards Geno? The more I thought about it the more confused I got. How can anyone act that cold towards that big goof?

"Dimitri what's going on with you and Geno?" I asked

"Nothing" he snapped

"Dimi-"

"I said nothing!" He said with his voice raised

"Uh I think I'm gonna go" I said while looking down.

"Brook," Dimitri said softly

"No it's fine" I said shaking my head. I opened the door. And walked downstairs and said goodbye to Geno and Natasha. I walked out to my SUV and drove home.

Dimitri's POV
Great, just great. I snapped at her and now she thinks I'm and ass. Nice going Dimitri. I sighed and walked downstairs.

"Dimitri?" I heard my dad ask me in our native tongue.

"What?" I snapped

"What's been going on lately? You've been acting strange."

"Maybe if you were around more when I was a kid you would understand!" I yelled.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there all the time but I had to be away sometimes. I never wanted to be away from you and your mom but I had to sometimes." He said with his head down.

"You just don't get it do you?!" I asked.

"No I don't" he said

"You put your career before me and mom and then you retire and just decide to pop back into our lives!" I exclaimed. "I remember all those hockey games as a kid that you never had time to go to! And mom always had to be the one to break the news that you were at practice or had a game that night! I'm sick of it dad!" I yelled and stomped out of the room right past my mom and went straight up to my room and called Brooklyn to only get her voicemail. I sighed and laid back on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

Brooklyn's POV
"Hey Brook" my dad greeted me. When I walked into the living room and sat on the couch.

"Hey I had a question"

"Yeah?"

"Can you tell me more about mom?" I asked and he sort of froze.

"Uh yeah sure. What do you want to know?"

"What was she like?"

"She was the most amazing woman I ever met. She was hilarious and she had a big heart. She put up with so much of my shit over the years I can't even explain. She was one in a million Brook. She loved my because I was Sid. Not Sidney Crosby captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins. We grew up together in coal Harbour and she even came with me to the draft and she was the only one there because grandma, grandpa, and Aunt Taylor couldn't be there. Then we started to fight because I didn't spend enough time with her and that was my fault. She left me for Jordan. You know uncle Jordan? And that really opened my eyes on how much of an asshole I'd been to her. Then we finally played the Hurricanes and I got my chance to talk to her. She flew back and on Christmas Day we got engaged." He smiled thinking back to that day. "And then that's when her music career started taking off and I wasn't very happy that she was going on tour. I was always lonely in the house all by myself so I cheated on her and that was the worst mistake I my life. She came back to surprise me and she caught me and we had a fight. Then she fled to Philadelphia with uncle Max and stayed with him for awhile. And in the process of her staying there I finally found out she was pregnant. Then Uncle Kris saw her on a plane to Nashville to meet up with everyone on tour and flew out to San Diego with them for the first show. That was when I found out that she lost the baby. I tried to hug her but she just ran away and kept going on tour. Then it was finally time for us to play the Flyers at their home opener. I remember Claude Giroux's skate going across my neck and your mom can out and told me that she loved me even through all the shit I had done. I remember blacking out and then waking up to your mom in tears. It turns out that I had actually been dead for about five minutes and my heart started beating again. That's how your Uncle Max met Aunt Christina too. But anyways we found out that your mom was pregnant with you. You were about three weeks away from being born and your mom went to visit Vero and got in a car wreck on the way. The doctors were only able to save you. I was a complete emotional mess that day. Then we had your moms funeral two days later in Coal Harbour. And then when you were five I took you to the lake and pier that me and your mom made so many memories at as kids. And here we are now just you and me. I wish she was here to see you grown up." He said with teary eyes.

"Dad" I said with my own tears forming and I went over and gave him a big hug.

"She's still here" I said putting a hand over his heart.

"That's what your mom always said" he smiled and so did I.