Little Laura

Big Willie

After all the fights and simply complex problems, Uncle Ronnie took Laura by the hand down to the place in which he lived.

“Laura, honey,” he said shaking the tears away. “You’ll come live with me now. Okay?”

“Okay,” she said as if there was any other option. She knew of what happened—she knew it was her fault.

At school, the other teased including the ever-so-loyal Mel and Tommy.

“Stop it!” She yelled one day.

“Whatcha gonna do? Hit me?” Big Willie taunted with a tone worthy of the biggest meanie ever award… or so Laura thought.

The thing about William Rehnquist was that he was big, tall, and generally corpulent. Blond hair dyed brown on his head, one single black caterpillar for an eyebrow. His nose was long and so greasy; one would think fast food restaurants paid for that oil. The neck was nearly in-existent and Laura often thought it had run away years ago in fear of being either greased off or crushed by the many chins. The worst was that he spit when he talked. When all the second graders were led to lunch by the fifth grader, they all knew to stay away from the downpour. Laura liked watching him.

She stared into his eyes. She stared deep into his pupils, past the cornea and the retina, past the optic nerve and into the brain, into his soul.

The boy stared back, “That’s what I thought.” And with that, he was off to the wonderful world of Willie where he was king.

The next day, he broke his arm in a mysterious accident. Laura laughed. He had it coming. She tra la lad off with the wind letting her hair turn on again, it was good to be her. Nothing in the world could ruin it for her. The meanie was away getting his cast moulded in and all the children seemed to be ignoring her.