Status: Enjoy!

Never Let Me Go

Chapter Six

“Well, it seems the bullet went clean through,” Herschel sighed, pressing a gentle hand to the dog’s aching side. Rusty’s pitiful brown eyes looked up at the old man in agony, before turning his gaze to those of his owner’s.

Dakota was doing her best to keep calm, like she had promised the kind old doctor, but it was becoming increasingly difficult. She could hear the argument going on outside of the farmhouse. Rick, the leader, as she had finally learned his name, was arguing with Shane, the asshole, about wasting supplies on what Shane liked to refer to as “the stupid mutt.” Occasionally another voice would speak up. It belonged to a woman. Dakota didn’t think it was Andrea; the voice was too clear, and since Andrea’s mouth was still bleeding, she highly doubted it was her.

“Is that a good thing…?”

Herschel nodded, though he wore a small frown. “In a way, yes,” He explained. “That means we don’t have to go diggin’ for a bullet.”

Dakota released a sigh of relief.

“But,”

Dammit.

“With the way he’s bleeding, I’m thinkin’ the bullet may have hit somethin’. Like a vein or an organ.”

“Okay,” Dakota nodded, her calm expression faltering. She wanted to cry, to scream, to punch Andrea over and over until her knuckles were bloody and her hands were broken. But what would that fix? That wouldn’t help Rusty get better. That wouldn’t help heal his wounds. All it would do was cause more trouble for the small group of survivors.

God, she hated this.

A comforting hand was placed on Dakota’s shoulder. Herschel’s kind eyes met hers, holding a hint of sympathy. “How about this; you let me keep Rusty here overnight. Then, we’ll check on him tomorrow and if he’s as good as new,” Herschel squeezed her shoulder. “Y’all can head on off, if you’d like. But I’d like to keep him for one night.”

Dakota had a lot to consider. If she were to stay, and that’s a big if, she’d have to be around the group. And that was the last thing wanted to do. She didn’t trust them…okay, maybe Sophia and possibly Daryl and Rick since they were the only two who had stuck up for her…and Herschel since he was fixing Rusty, and not to mention Herschel’s wife who was nice enough to bring Dakota a cold glass of water to calm her down…

So, maybe some of them could possibly be trusted, but that didn’t change the fact that one of them had shot her dog, and another had called him a stupid mutt. Among the others, she hadn’t talked to any of them. Since she’d been in the small surgery room with Herschel, a cute blonde girl with a shy smile had walked in a couple times. She was polite and had asked if Dakota needed anything, but besides her, Dakota hadn’t dealt with the rest of them.

Dakota shook her head. She was being selfish. If staying the night meant Rusty being in the hands of a license veterinarian, then they would stay. “Only for a night,” She voiced her answer with a stoic expression. “No more than that. I can’t…I don’t wanna intrude.”

A soft laugh came from Herschel. “Sweetheart, I don’t mean to sound rude, but you did a whole lot more than intrude.

Dakota cracked a grin and shrugged. “I love this damn dog,” She replied quietly. “He’s the only thing I’ve got.”

Herschel nodded with his hand still on her shoulder. “I understand, dear. But right now Rusty looks like he could use some rest. How about we get you cleaned up and figure out where to go from there, hm?”

-

“I don’t understand the problem, Rick,” Shane argued heatedly, scowling at his long-time friend. “She’s dangerous—you saw what she did to Andrea. What if she does that to one of us? Or Lori?” His voice dropped lower. “Or Carl?”

Rick shook his head. Shane was a protector of the group, one of few, and made it his job to keep everyone safe. But Rick was the leader. And if he thought the girl could be trusted, then she was allowed to stay one night. “I think you’re bein’ ridiculous, Shane. The girl looks like she weighs a hundred pounds soaking wet.”

“Yeah, but she punches like a damn man!”

“Because she felt threatened,” Rick explained. “Shane, the girl brought back Sophia and Daryl. Not to mention, she got her dog shot in the process. The least we can do is give her a place to stay for a night.”

“You’re really considering this?” Lori asked from behind Rick. Rick turned to face his wife who was clutching their son, Carl, to her side. She wore a scowl similar to that of Shane’s. “Rick, Shane’s right. That girl…you saw what she did to Andrea. What Andrea did wasn’t right, by any means, but she didn’t deserve to be beaten bloody.”

Rick sighed, running a hand through his growing hair. “Look, I know what she did. And I know it was wrong. But…dammit, you guys are missin’ the bigger picture, here! She brought back Sophia and Daryl. A young girl and the only hunter this group’s got,” Rick paused, shaking his head again. “If anythin’, she deserves to be rewarded.”

“Mom,” Carl spoke out, pulling out of Lori’s grasp. “I’m with dad. She brought back Sophia! That's my best friend. A-And then she brought us back Daryl so we can keep eating meat. Mom, she should stay—”

“Carl, let the adults handle this,” Shane interrupted the young boy, not without receiving a glare from Rick.

“Let me handle my child, Shane,” Rick retorted.

“Actually, Carl, Shane’s right. Why don’t you go play with Sophia?” Lori said to her son, eyeing both of the men heatedly. Once Carl was finally far enough away, Lori spoke. “Rick. That woman is not stayin’ here another night!”

“Honestly, Rick, how can you be so trustin’ of people?” Shane added. “I mean, brother, you gotta understand—“

“I understand fine, brother,” Rick snapped. “That girl deserves to stay one night. She did something for us that none of us could do. Her dog is hangin’ on by a damn thread and—“

“Oh, enough about the dog!”

“You know, I don’t understand why you’re so upset over this!”

“You know exactly why, Rick! What if she goes after Carl—“

“She won’t go after our son, Lori, I won’t let it happen!”

“But, that ain’t the point Rick! The girl’s dangerous!”

“And y’all are annoyin’,” A voice drawled from behind the small group. The three arguing members turned, facing the young Dixon brother. His side was still hurting, but the bleeding had stopped once he’d gotten it wrapped. It was the headache from all the useless bickering that was bothering him. Daryl’s eyes squinted towards Lori and Shane before landing on the leader of the group. “Y’all arguin’ ‘bout this,” Daryl shook his head. “Don’t matter. Herschel’s house, Herschel’s decision. He’s gon’ be the one who decides if she stays or not.”

“And what do you think?” Rick asked the hunter.

Daryl shrugged, lowering his gaze to his boots. “Don’t matter,” He paused before continuing. “But she did save the lil’ girl. ‘N she sure as hell saved me.”

When Daryl’s eyes met Rick’s again, he saw the small smirk, but his eyes told Daryl everything; he thought Daryl liked her.

Daryl’s flippant expression soon turned to one with a scowl. “Don’t matter, like I said,” He repeated, this time with a bit of bitterness. “Jus’ another mouth ta feed.” And with that, the hunter stomped off towards his tent, hoping no one saw the blush on his cheeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, readers! It feels like it's been years since I've updated and I really would like to apologize. You guys have been wonderful and now that I''m getting back on track, I promise to update more frequently. Hope you enjoy this chapter - don't forget to comment, subscribe, and recommend!

xx,
M_R