The Boy Who Could Fly

Chapter 10

The morning sun streamed in from Jaime's window. The light made me squint my eyes but even with my limited vision, I knew someone else was in the room.., an Angel to be exact. "Oh.. Victor, how could you" Jenna said in despair. She moved towards the bed but I raised my hand to stop her and planted my feet to the carpet floor, "You don't know what its like here, Jenna. You've only visited a few times, you've never had to live here" I felt my skin burn with anger from the judgmental look in her eyes.

"You have a duty! You know the rules!" She yelled emotionally, making me take a step back. "The rules?" I felt my eyes tear up, "Haven't you ever noticed that the rules seem a bit unfair?" I tried to calm down, not wanting my sister to see this side of me. "They are not without purpose" She stated slowly. "Sometimes I wonder if the only purpose they serve is just so our father has as much control over every aspect of our lives as possible" I looked her straight in the eyes, challenging her to argue with me. She knew I was on to something but instead of agreeing, she just shook her head.

"Are you…, rebelling ?" She asked in almost a whisper.

I thought about it more than once, rebelling against heaven and taking charge of my own life. But something about it left a bad taste in my mouth.

"Of course not.." I told her, looking to the ground and avoiding any eye contact. "Than what were doing with Jaime Preciado?" She questioned, and I was hoping she wouldn't ask that. I bit my lip not wanting to answer her but I knew I had to "Exactly what it looked like" I finally confessed.

She laughed nervously like I had just told a joke, or she was hoping it was one. Her laughing stopped abruptly when she noticed I wasn't laughing with her. Her face grew dark.., very dark. "Do you know what I have to do to traitors?" She asked. "I'm not a traitor" Why didn't she see that? I'm not evil. I know I'm not.

"I have to pull your wings off, Victor" She hid her emotions behind a solid wall, going into Arch Angel mode. "No you don't, you don't have to do!" I tried to show her that something about Heaven's system was just… wrong. "What?" She sneered "Are you trying to tell me that I should rebel like you?!" She accused, her emotions trying to break through again. I knew she felt the same way I did, but she didn't want to admit it. "Stop acting like these issues haven't crossed your mind" I pleaded.

She shook her head, looking to the ground and I knew what was coming next. "Unfreeze time and leave" I demanded of her. "I ask that you don't resist, it will only make this more painful" She told me. She didn't look me in the eyes and I knew she didn't want to hurt me. "You don't have to" I tried again and stepped back, away from her. "Don't be like the others. They're monsters, Jenna" Her head snapped up so she could see my face, her eyes flaming with rage now "Our family?" She growled. "Everything they made us believe…, can you honestly say you don't think its all wrong?" I didn't want to believe she was like them. I had to show her.

"I'm not corrupted like you, so yes I can say that those thoughts never crossed my mind." She was a completely different being now. She wasn't the Jenna I knew.
Fire grew from her finger tips to form a flaming sword that instantly heated the room. "Stop" I demanded, knowing it would have no affect though. Her wings spread out from her back and took up the entire room even though she didn't even have them spread out fully. They glowed a gorgeous gold color that shimmered against the morning sun light, like the two belonged together. "I won't fight you" I told her. "Good" was all she had to say before pulling the sword into the air. I squeezed my eyes shut knowing exactly what to expect.

The room suddenly grew quiet and I could no longer feel her presence. "Jenna..?" I slowly lifted my face only to find she was gone.

"Who?" Jaime asked, leaving me no time to process what had just happened. I looked over to him, he was making his way to an upright position on the bed, rubbing the night out of his eyes. What was I to tell him? Would sleep walking do?

"Nothing" I finally said and shook my head before sitting beside him.

Her words played over and over in my mind.

Was I actually rebelling? Am I blinded by my own wants and can't see that maybe I was truly evil?

Maybe I deserve losing my wings.

"Vic…, what's wrong?" Jaime asked quietly in concern. I didn't realize I had started crying until now. "Have you ever been betrayed by someone you thought you could trust?" I asked him, trying to answer his question without needing to lie. He thought for a moment before answering me, "Someone hurt you" He said slowly. I nodded and stood from the bed "I'm going to go take a walk and get some air" I told him and left the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
hahahahahaaaaa