The Boy Who Could Fly

Chapter 17

-Vic-

A week has passed since Jaime came back.

He keeps to himself most of the time when he's around me. I suppose I understand.

Sometimes I'll hear him talking to Andy, and its generally about me. They fear that if they make me mad enough that I'd try to hurt them. But they couldn't be more wrong. I don't think I could ever hurt anyone on purpose, its just not in my nature. I understand their concern though.

The toaster popped bread out of it, making me jump. I sighed and carefully pulled the hot bread out and onto my plate. I woke up late so I didn’t have too much time until I had to leave, so toast will have to do for breakfast.

"Why do Angels have to eat food? Aren't you like immortal" I heard a deep voice ask from the table.

"I don't know. The feeling of being hungry is an uncomfortable one though, so we eat." I replied. That was something I never thought twice about, but he had a point. I guess we didn’t have to eat.

Andy was silent for a moment before asking another question "Can we get a dog?"

The random question almost caught me off guard. I forwarded my eyebrows at him and took the spoon out of my mouth that had jam on it. "I guess. But why do you want a dog?"

"Oh I don't." He said simply. "I just wanted to know"

He smiled cheerfully then left the kitchen.

I watched after him in confusion, taking a big bite of toast. I guess that's just Andy for you..

After quickly finishing my toast and chasing it with Milk I grabbed my messenger bag, making sure to put my laptop in it, and the graded papers from a previous test.

Jaime skipped down the stairs just as I was walking for the door. "Don't you get tired of dealing with school shit every day?" He asked through a yawn. He reached me, wrapping his arm around my neck in a lazy way before pecking my lips. "Don't you get tired of dealing with that horrible singer that fronts the band you're in?"

Jaime scoffed "He isn't… " He paused and thought for a moment. "Okay yeah, he's pretty bad" He admitted. I laughed, and hit his chest playfully. "I'll see you later" I said. I pulled him closer but still I had to go on the tips of my topes to smash my lips against his. This whole short thing is getting old.

-

The classroom filled slowly as the morning was still young. I half expected Oliver to change classes, hell, I was certain he would. But there he was, sitting in his usual spot, and glaring at me. It was scary, the way his eyes could poke daggers into my side. Ignoring his stares, I began speaking to the now full room.

To my relief, Jack, the new student thought better of sitting next to Oliver who looked like he was going to shank the poor guy.

"Whose ready for their test results?" I cheered, and in return the kids who didn't do so good groaned, as if they knew they were bound to fail.

I traveled down the rows of tables, handing out a stack of four papers to the person at the beginning of the table so they could pass them down. When I handed Oliver his paper he purposely grabbed my hand, sending chills through me. "I need to talk to you after class" I almost whispered while trying to compose myself. He simply nodded and let go of me so I could keep passing out the papers.

-

Class was over now, and I felt tired. My back ached more than normal. It was my wings begging to come out.

Oliver waited for the room to clear then got up, and stood in front of my desk. "You wanted to talk?" He asked.

I nodded and let a big sigh run through my nose. "I'm tired of this room, lets go get coffee" I suggested, but he knew it was more of an order when I grabbed my bag, shoving books, and papers in it.

"I'm not sticking around you for long" He stated blandly but I ignored him. He's being immature.

Its not like I wanted to be around him either. I could be in this room any longer, it was making me feel caged in, as a matter of fact, being on earth was bringing me to the edge of my seat. I could let my wings go all I wanted to, I could fly for hours a day, but it would never bring me solace.

Everyday I felt as if I was a caged bird set up on a stage for people to sit and watch, waiting for me to do something out of this world.

We left the building, and a sense of relief washed over me so I shut my eyes. For a moment my mind left earth, and I was home. I was standing on the goldbricks that formed a road in the downtown of Heaven. I was surrounded by Saints. They rushed around the road, going from one place to another, just like they would on earth. The City was a mad house kind of like New York is. Children pulled at the white/grey feathers of my wings that were within their reach. It wasn't uncommon for me to come down from the white sky and be one with the people in the city.

Angels became accustomed to the Saint's ways of making celebrity's out of them, so they stayed out of reach. But I knew better. I knew we were no better than the people are. God made that very clear when he created them that they are the most divine.

"Vic?" Oliver's voice cut through my vision. I fought against it, but my mind won and brought me back to the front steps of the building. "Are you alright?" He asked, not sure of what just happened. I nodded. My hands were shaking but I still spoke in confidence. "I'm just tired.., long night" I smiled half heartedly then made my way down the steps, Oliver followed in step.

-

It was a small coffee shop…, A hole in the wall if you would. It wasn't some big francize like Starbucks, but believe me when I say their coffee was way better. Coffee.. Something I discovered while down here. They don't have it in Heaven, and it’s a crying shame.

After Oliver got his drink he sat across from me at this little round table next to the window. The traffic outside of it was as expected in a big city like Seattle. It was horrible. Tourist season was only in a few a weeks, and just like every year I dreaded it. On the bright side though, school will be out.

I took a sip of the coffee in my hand only to be scrunching my nose when it lightly burned my tongue.

"Okay, talk" Oliver demanded when he got comfortable.

I thought for a moment then decided on what to say. "Do you hate me?"

He looked up, his eyes held an intention that I didn't know. He almost seemed like he was plotting something.

"I don't know.. I want to hate you, but I can't" He finally answered.

I nodded, "Did you tell anyone?" I asked meekly, hoping for the best to come from this conversation.

He shook his head 'no', and I believed him. I opened my mouth to say something else but he cut me off.

"You're some kind of freaky, supernatural, Angel. I get it. I don't half believe it, but whatever. If I told anyone, they would call the mental ward on me. So I think its best that you just stay away from me." He whispered yelled.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere I have to be" He stated. He got up from his chair quickly, and left without another word. "Right" I whispered to myself, already missing his presence near mine. I shook my head at the odd observation. The feelings he gives me are so.., sudden. Just a few weeks ago I wouldn't have thought twice about him.

I sat for a little while longer then grabbed my bag and threw away the to-go coffee cup, as it was empty now. My mind was foggy with the thoughts of Oliver. I didn't understand why he didn't hate me or why he didn't change classes to stay away from me. He didn't even tell anyone. I've been around humans long enough to know that no normal person would react the way he is.

I adjusted the strap of my bad on my shoulder and just before I could push through the glass door of the coffee shop, a hand tugged my shoulder back so I'd spin around. It was the woman who was the former teacher of my class standing there, an accusing look in here eyes. I still didn't know her name, and personally I didn't care what it was.

Her expression changed to one of smugness before she spoke to me. "Just thought I'd wish you a good day, Mr. Fuentes." Her voice dripped with a fake sweetness that was coated with a bitter undertone. "Right.., you to" I replied.

-

The day had progressed to night, so it was just Jaime and I laying on his bed, watching some random movie on SyFy.

It wasn't too late. It was only 8pm but after the day I had, I felt as though I could fall a sleep and not wake up for weeks.

I cuddled myself closer into his side, my eyelids growing heavier and heavier. Some creature popped out at the screen, making a noise loud enough to startle me and make me jump. "Don't worry. The alien can't get to you" Jaime cooed jokingly. He turned the volume down so the noise wouldn't bother me any farther.

After the movie was over Jaime turned the TV off and sat up, making me detangle myself from his body. I huffed and rolled over so my back was to him. "Don't sleep yet.., I have a question" He said, sounding unsure. I lifted myself up slowly and stretched. "What is it?" I asked through a yawn.

A small smile appeared on his lips but it faded before he spoke. "Do Angels really have wings?" He asked, his eyebrows coming forward. His face was dimly lit by the large full moon outside the glass doors leading to the balcony. I slid myself across the white sheets on the bed to be closer to him. I wanted so badly to drink in the feel of his warm skin. He just looks so gorgeous under this pale light.

"Yes" I said simply, caressing my fingers up his arm that was steadying himself on the bed. The sparkles in his eyes danced around, showing wonder and awe. I wish I knew what he was thinking about.

He dipped his head to lay a kiss to the side of my nose then ran his hand through my hair. "Can I see yours?" He practically whispered. Excitement blew up in me at his question. Not only does he accept what I am, but he wants to see the real me as well. "Of course you can" I said and let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. A large smile formed on his lips before he got up from the bed and slipped on a black Tshirt and sweatpants.

With my own smile plastered on my face I pulled a pair of jeans on. He was looking at me with a look of adoration.

"The balcony" I said and pointed to the doors. "They're that big?" He asked confused. I just nodded and grabbed his hand to lead him out the glass doors and onto the large stone balcony.

It was rather cold and the wind that blew by us was even colder. I didn't bother to put a shirt on but now I think I was regretting it. I reached the edge of the balcony where there was a stone fence to keep either us from falling. I turned around to face Jaime who was in front of the doors now, watching me carefully.

My heart began pounding so I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Coming out of my human form is something that’s supposed to be sacred, but here I am, showing myself to a mortal.

Power surged through my blood and left my fingers, the gorgeous sparkle of my magic wrapped around my body and melted the skin so my angelic skin could break through and with that my wings waited no longer and busted into the air. The glow of my wings radiated off me and landed on Jaime who was in awe struck with his mouth slightly open.

With my hair now at its true length it whipped in the wind and blew to the side of my shoulders.

He slowly came closer, cautiously holding his hand out. He lightly ran his fingertips over some of the feathers my wings produced. He was so gentle, as if he would break me in one wrong move. I brought the tips of my wings closer to us, almost wrapping them around our bodies but without touching us. Jaime looked from one wing to the other then look down at my face. His eyes were beautifully lit up from the glow. Tiny sparkles danced in the air around us and I swore this was the most intimate I had ever felt with anyone.

I threw my arms around his neck and brought our lips together in a passion filled kiss. He moaned against my lips and kissed back with no hesitation before he wrapped both his arms my lower half.

When our lips parted he looked directly into my eyes. "You're so perfect" He whispered.