The Boy Who Could Fly

Chapter 6

I pulled the car into the stony driveway in front of my house. Jaime sulked in the seat next to mine, still hurt from the wreck he was in. "I just wanted answers" I said coldly to him as I stepped out of the car, closing the door behind me.

A heated argument had just taken way as we left the hospital. A simple question regarding as to why he left the house that night made him mad, but I'm not sorry for it. I know why he's angry and it has nothing to do with the question.

I unlocked the front door, leaving it open for Jaime who had yet to get out of the car, probably sulking still.

I threw the keys on the counter then sat at the table, hiding my face in my hands out of frustration and trying to compose myself. Every part of me wanted to go back to the car, swing the door wide open and take that boys face into my hands and plant one big kiss on his lips. With all the energy I had left, I shoved those feelings back down to the core of my soul as I heard the front door close, telling me he finally came in.

"You want me to explain myself?," He asked rhetorically as he entered the Kitchen. "You owe me an explanation, not the other way around" He stated then crossed his arms as he stood on the other side of the table from me. I lifted my head slowly, not making eye contact, trying to think of the right thing to say to him. I know telling the truth about me being an Angel is against the rules..., But wouldn't it just make things easier?

"What we did... It just didn't feel right, Okay?" I told him straight faced, not letting him see how much I didn't mean what I just said. He breathed a sarcastic laugh, glancing towards the wall then back to me, locking eyes with mine. "Bullshit" He stated shortly. I felt my eyebrows pull tightly together in wonder on how he saw right through me. "Well look who didn't die!" I jumped at the unexpected voice breaking the silence that bled. I turned to find that Andy had walked down the stairs... I didn't even sense him in the house.

He smiled brightly, cutting the tension between Jaime and I. "Not yet at least" Jaime replied to the tall man, giving him a brief hug. I swallowed hard, standing up from my chair, a pretend smile on my face "I'm going to go shower.. Order Pizza?" I directed my question towards Andy
"You got it, Little man" He said, already grabbing his phone from his back pocket. I briefly rolled my eyes at him but wasted no time on getting out of that room and away from Jaime's heavy gaze.

"Vic, wait" I heard him say before I even made it to the stairs but I ignored him and kept on jogging until I made it to the bathroom. I locked the door behind me and turned on the shower. Just as I did so, Jaime banged on the door "Vic we need to talk. You can't run away from this" He said from the other side "Can't hear you!" I yelled at the door after quickly shedding my clothes. "Come on!" He said, raising his voice so he could be heard over the running water. I pulled the shower curtain back so I could step under the scolding hot water that formed a steam that rushed over the curtain rod. I sighed at the amazing feeling the water gave to my skin. It flowed across my shoulders and lightly tripped off my finger tips, falling hard enough to the floor to make a splash. I tilted my head back so my face was directly under the rushing water and without realizing it a moan escaped my lips from the feeling.
After a moment of standing there and cleaning my body from head to toe, I sat on the shower floor, just letting the water wash over me. I closed my eyes and tried to forget almost everything I know for just a few minutes, all I wanted was just a little time to be nothing, to not exist or have any responsibility.
I brought my knees to my chest, giving myself the false sense of being small.., kind of like one of those mice that always hang out in the alleys. I then thought of how it would be like to be a mouse, probably a lot easier than lying to Jaime every day.

My mind began to drift, I felt like I was swaying from side to side or floating in space. It became impossible to open my eyes..., or maybe I did open my eyes and it was just dark?

The soft feeling of water running over my skin was now gone and I was sure my eyes were open.

"Imagine what your life would be like without God's rules" A dark voice said through the pitch black air.

I opened my mouth to speak back but all that came out was a scream as I felt my skin start to heat up so fast it wasn't long til it felt as if I was being burned alive. "Stop!!" I yelled into the darkness but no one heard me. I pressed the palms of my hands tightly to my face, wanting to rip off every inch of my skin just to make the pain go away.

"Vic!" I heard Jaime yell through all the pain and screams that echoed from my own mouth. It felt like hours had passed before a pair of hands grasped my shoulders and pulled me through the darkness and back to the bathroom.

"Vic?" Jaime asked, his voice filled with concern as he held me tightly. I blinked and looked around to realize he had pulled me from the shower and even wrapped a warm towel around me. I shut my eyes tightly, relieved that it was all over, "I must have fallen a sleep...." I said in a low voice that trailed off. Jaime chewed his lips for a moment before pulling me closer to his chest. "You were screaming" He said slowly. "It was just a dream" I said more to myself than him. But there was this haunting feeling I had deep down in my chest that I just couldn't shake.. That voice..., I couldn't get it out of my head.