Yesterday

One.

It was the day before today, and two days before tomorrow. It was the day where everything just changed. It was like all the events I had lived through just vanished. My friends didn’t remember who I was, or maybe it was me who didn’t remember them. My mom acted as though nothing happened, and she just went on living like it was nothing. I didn’t understand. I really couldn’t grasp the fact that this seem to have only affected me. Something like this, should have affected everyone.

I paced up and down the halls of my house whispering “it can’t be just you.” It was the only thing that made sense to me anymore. It was the only thing that I could say that made me feel a little less crazy. There were tears running down my eyes and between my whispers I kept biting my cheek. The tears were uncontrollable and my bites were getting harder.

I saw my mom come out of her room and she just stared at me. Her eyes looked vacant, and her usual bright green eyes, looked a little more like they were red, her skin, usually tan and glossy, was a little yellow. I knew exactly what she had been doing. She was walking toward me, her steps a lot slower than usual. It was clear that this had affected her, even though she kept acting like it hadn’t.

“Sweetpea,” she said

Her voice was groggy, and husky. My mom was known for her sweet and almost childlike voice. I knew that this had taken a toll on her. I just wished that she wasn’t trying to be so tough, I wasn’t stupid. I knew exactly what had happened.

“Mom,”

It was the only word I could get out of my life.

“You know, everything is okay,”

“No,” I said

She took one more step and tapped my face.

“Stop, lying to yourself, stop pretending that it’s all wrong because of what happened,” she said

I went into my room and slammed the door. I was really tired of how she was acting.

I sat on my bed and all I could think about was what happened. I couldn’t believe that it happened. Yesterday happened.