Status: Kepp Your Hopes Up High And You Head Down Low

I Am Not Your Enemy

Chapter Two

"And the tower points rose up like golden blades, honouring the jewel studded sky"

Pompeii sat quietly in her cell, remembering the words her mother spoke so softly, they echoed in her head as if bouncing of the walls around her. She used to dream of going to those places, together with her mother and father. She dreamed of a different life. She dreamed of a new world, one where she was wanted. One where people would admire her talents and be proud of what she'd gone through. A place where she belonged.

That fantasy had long since turned to dust, as the cold stone wall behind her back reminded her where she was. This is where she belonged, SHEILDs high functioning prison, constantly reminded day in and day out that she was a criminal. Evil ran through her veins, chaos and mischief was a part of her DNA, and she had no place in this world. For ten years she'd seen the same old grey walls and concrete floor. The same barred window letting in a droplet of sunlight on the warmest summer days. The same electrical bars barricading her inside the cell, through which she would see people walk in and out of these jails.

"Prisoner 516" An emotionless voice called. Looking up, Pompeii met the eyes of the albino Agent Branson. A man she despised more than anything in this world.

"Still giving me a number, how cruel," she said sarcastically, as she watched the Agent with sharp emerald eyes. If she could, she would murder that man. She would watch him suffer and struggle in pain.

"Follow me. You're needed," he growled unpleasantly as he opened the thumb lock bars, allowing Pompeii out. She couldn't help but notice the armed guard either side of him, a silly thing since she was smarter than to try something in the world's highest security prison. Lazily she got up and followed him down the black and grey corridors, all the way controlling the rage the very sight of this man caused her. Until finally, he led her to a small grey interviewing room with a one way window and bland white walls. The grey metal table in the centre certainly didn't add any life to the room either. They sat either end of the desk, but it was still too close for Pompeii. She wanted the man to be gone from this planet completely, in fact from this universe. She hated him. A man whom had killed her mother. A man who at the age of seven placed her in this prison. A man who has made every waking hour of her life a misery. Oh how she wanted that man to burn!

"You wanted me?" she asked calmly.

"As you may or may not know, the city of New York was attacked yesterday by a mysterious man, leaving nothing but devastation in his wake. While we do not know anything about this guy, we do know he was searching for a very powerful stone. One that SHEILD's base is in fact built around." Pompeii let out a sigh, placing her feet on top of the table and allowing her raven hair to tumble down the back of the chair.

"What does this have to do with me?"

"Director Fury wanted you to help alongside the Avengers. He needs someone who understands the criminal psyche, someone a part of the prison training program and can fight. He needs someone who is unknown by the public and can work under the radar."

"You want someone who won't be missed by a single person if killed," she corrected bluntly. "But why would I help you? Why would I help SHEILD, the assholes I hate more than anything. I would rather sit back and watch you all get destroyed and laugh as you burn. So give me one goddamn reason why I would help you," she snarled through gritted teeth, head now raised to glare at the man above her legs. Pompeii jumped back in self defence when the agent trained his gun on her.

"Because if you don't agree, then I will shoot you here and now. Not a single fucker will know you've gone. If you do agree then I shall put your freedom up for consideration, understand?"

Pompeii considered the offer for a moment, before smiling sickly. "Well, it seems you have 'convinced' me. When do we start?"

Tony Stark sighed as he and the rest of the Avengers, bar the spandex wearing demigod whom they had no way of contacting, stood round in the meeting room.

"But if he was searching for something, why destroy the city? I mean he left it in absolute ruin in some places!" Steve questioned.

"Maybe to scare us off? Or cause chaos while he looked, so it'd be easier for him to get a hold of it?" Natasha suggested.

"Close but not quite right." All of a sudden Director Nick Fury barged through the door, with him the remote the large computer screen above them all in the centre of the room.

"We believe he knew where the item was all along," he explained. "The disaster to New York was more like intimidation, or a death threat."

"So you know what he's looking for then?" Tony asked, unsurprised by this new revelation; SHEILD had a history of keeping secrets.

"Yes." Fury pointed at the image of a large blue-tinted stone that appeared to be emitting a strange sort of radiation on the screen. "This stone was found years before SHEILD was officially formed. A group of scientists came across it when following bizarre wavelengths. A stone of an unknown element that is emitting a hell of a lot of power. It became clear though that it was beyond their resources to harness it, or control it for that matter. In fact, the stone appeared so dangerous they tried to destroy it, only to discover it's impossible." The screen then flicked again, this time to a map of SHEILD base. In the very centre of the archives, buried deep, glowed a small dot. "In the end, they buried the stone underground, swearing to keep it away from anyone and anything that could possibly use it. Later, SHEILD was built around it."

Tony sighed, once again annoyed at the secrets SHEILD had been keeping. If he had known, he probably could of looked into how to stabilise the energy or help protect it...something. As always SHEILD has its head up its ass and humanity was in danger.

"It's one of the nine stones of Opes," a stranger's voice commented from the doorway.

The group turned around and saw a girl leant up against the door frame.

"Who's this?" Stark pointed at the girl with a look of curiosity and slight disgust. He hated being interrupted, especially during something as important as saving the world. She had an arrogant air about her, one that he didn't like. In fact, everything about her made her stand out in this building. A proper leather uniform replaced with an old white tank top and army trousers, smart hair swapped for black, braided, beaded, and backcombed ponytail.

"Name's Pompeii," she offered.

Stark noted the rough almost sexual edge to the girls voice which matched so perfectly with her appearance. She was alluring, poisonous, and yet shielded. Everything from the way she crossed her arms to how her full red lips showed neither a frown nor a smile screamed mystery and danger.

"She's been sent here from SHEILD prison, in order to help us out," Fury explained.

SHEILD prison? "That's for the world's most violent and dangerous criminals. And you're letting her help us?" Had Fury gone mad? Tony struggled to see how this could be a good idea. Turning, he noticed how the emotionless face had turned to that of bitterness or anger. Sorry honey, but if the shoe fits…

She did look rather young to be in a prison such as that. What was she, seventeen? Maybe she could pass for eighteen if he squinted. Hell, she might be younger than that. Either way, he struggled to believe she had caused such damage in her life.

"The leader of the prison department has assured me she won't try anything."

"And if she does?"

"Then you have full permission to kill me." Her voice was dead pan, as if the thought didn't even faze her, suprising even Tony. How could she be so flippant about her own life? He has come close to death many times, but never has he been so reckless with his life. Did she not see the value of her life? Or has she done something that has made her life unimportant to her? He truly couldn't fathom it.

"Look, we don't have time to question Fury's decision," Steve stated.

"He's right on this one," Banner agreed.

"Now, what were you saying about these stones?"

"It was a story my mother told me years ago." She walked into the room and slung herself onto one of the many empty chairs. "Basically, within each of the Nine Realms there's a stone made from the black heart of Opes. Find all pieces of the heart and you'll have control over the universe."

"Opes? Where have I heard that name?" Steve muttered.

"Hey didn't that guy claim to be Opes? The one who was searching for the stone?" Clint asked.

Without hesitation, Fury flipped the screen to the recording sent by the New York terrorist 'Opes'. Images of black ghost-like figures destroying the city came blazing on, making Tony sick to his stomach as people ran, screamed and died. That's when the head of a monstrous creature appeared. It was the head of a blue shaved bull, but the features were that of a human face with orange hollow eyes. His mouth did not exist, not in human terms at least. In its place, three gold plates surrounded a blue light.

"I am Opes, and I have to claim the stone which was once mine. Say goodbye to your world, and make peace with your gods, for we will show you no mercy." With that the screen fuzzed and the image disappeared.

"Well while I hate to base my ideas of fantasy, that story seems to be the closest thing we have to the truth of the mystery," Natasha admitted.

Tony could only silently agree, though he hated the idea of a story someone's mother made up being the basis of their next move.

"Who's Opes then? Was that ever mentioned?" Clint asked.

"In the tale, Opes was an incredibly powerful and god-like being."

"How powerful?" Tony couldn't believe he was indulging this delusion.

"Let's put it this way, if humans consider Asgardians to be gods, Asgardians would consider Opes a god."

Shit…

"Wait how do you know abou-"

"Sir we have an emergency!" Agent Hughes almost shouted from the doorway.

"We're under attack! He's after the stone!"

"Avengers suit up!"

Suddenly everyone split. Not sure what to do with herself, Pompeii followed Fury and Natasha. Running down the corridor, they went to a large weapons cupboard. Fury brought out Natasha's weaponry. He then turned and took out two rather large laser guns and handed them over to Pompeii.

When she tried to take them, he hung onto the ends.

"If you betray us..." he warned.

"I know, I know. You will hunt me down and kill me. I am well aware what's on the line, Director."

"Very well then. Remember, do well and you'll have your freedom." Handing her the guns, Nick grabbed his own equipment and ran.

Pompeii stayed still for a moment, looking at her reflection in the glass at the back of closet. She allowed her eyes to turn red just for a moment, before looking down and changing them back to green.

"My freedom will be put up for consideration. It shall never be granted. She turned around, not wanting to see herself anymore, and followed the growing sounds of gunfire down the corridor.