Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Hostage

Shit. Was the first thought that hit me. It took me a moment to realize why I was swearing inside my head. I think it was a combination of the previous day, and the pain. The pain wasn’t so bad, but I was confused for a moment, why was there a stinging sensation in my left arm? I knew I got shot in my right, so why... ?

I finally opened my eyes to see a needle leading to a bag protruding from my arm... IV. Why was I hooked up to IV? Right... loss of blood. I knew that.

My eyes turned to my other arm which was bandaged not only in white gauze but the tan material often used to make tensors. In all, my arm looked like one huge arm, I guess I now know what it’s like to be fat. At least it’s cushiony. I’d prefer a cast though, that way I could hit it over Flints head when he mocked me, which I knew he would.

My head felt better and I could tell without checking that I had gotten stitches. I guess it was better then them shaving my whole head and wrapping it up. Now that would be horrible, but hey, I would finally get rid of my blonde hair that I hate. It would be worth it... almost. I wonder what Dane would say if he saw me bald? I wonder what Dane will say when he sees my arm and head? Uh-oh.

My heart suddenly froze as his words ran through my head. I’ll call you, okay? Where was my phone? What if Jake had it? My panic attack was short lived as the door opened. I half expected it to be Jake, storming in to yell at me, but it was just the doctor.

I narrowed my eyes at him. We didn’t exactly get along and everyone knew it. He hated me and I loathed him. Though I hated to admit it, he was a very well educated and trained doctor, making him excellent for this job. He also knew how to use a gun, so he could get his patients to do as he wished and to listen. Usually he only had to use the gun on me though. But today, wanting to find my phone and talk to Jake as fast as I could, I would cooperate.

He wasn’t tall, but he wasn’t exactly short. He stood at the height of 5'7 and weighed about 160 pounds. He didn’t have muscle like you would find on Zane or Flint, but he wasn’t totally weak. His hair was short, in the style of a buzz cut and it held the colour of a very dirty blonde. Now, his eyes were a very weird shade of blue, they looked almost like a sapphire stone.

He held a clipboard in his one hand, and a needle in another. I scowled but said nothing as he approached me. To my surprise he unhooked the IV. Whenever I ended up in this white hell hole, well, that was what Zane called it, they always had to re-hook my IV up because I would rip it up.

One time, when I was twelve I had fallen out of a tree when I tried to dodge a bullet Flint shot at me. He thought it would be fun to dare me to go up in a tree, then use me as a target practice. In his defence to Jake, he said that I had a bullet proof vest on, though I doubt a thick sweater counts as that, and that the gun didn’t have real bullets. It was the fake ones we carried at the base for training... that part of his argument was true, but that didn’t stop me from trying not to get hit. When you’re twelve almost everything hurts, and I didn’t want to give Flint the satisfaction of knowing he could hit me. Instead I gave him the satisfaction of watching me fall out of tree. However, in my defence, I landed on my one foot... only the impact caused that leg to snap, up near the hip. I screamed on that injury too, and threw many rocks at Flint. At that time I didn’t carry daggers on me, but if I had, Flint probably would have to walk around with an eye patch.

Now, I was taken to the nurse part of the base at this time too, but by Jake. Flint had left when I started throwing rocks at him, laughing as he left too. He just left me there... with a broken leg. And since it was inside base grounds, and I was still in training and so young, I didn’t have a cell phone. It was a good thing Jake had been scanning the cameras that day, for I would have been out there a lot longer. And people wonder why I hate Flint.

Let’s say that Jake had to lay down a lot with all the migraines he got from us. Zane was the good on... unless he got dragged into the middle. Anyways, when I finally did get to the nurse’s section, the doctor said they should put an IV into me and then give me a sleeping needle. Needless to say, I struggled, and punched, yes punched, the doctor when they tried to put it into me. My argument was that I didn’t want a bag in injecting nutrients into me, in my eyes, that was like putting all your food in a blender and drinking it. I was weird little kid. So, in the end, they gave me the sleeping needle first. But when I woke up, the first thing I did was rip out the IV, dump the bag into the bedpan which I did not use and leave. After that incident, they learned to always lock the door because I won’t stay there. And if they want the IV to stay in my arm, to keep someone on watch, for I will rip it out 99% of the times, unless I want something in return.

The doctor, Dr. Graive to be exact, scribbled something down on his clipboard before advancing me. When I was little I used to find it freaky that his last name was like grave in grave yard, I thought it was a bad omen. Now I just think I was a messed up little kid.

“Why am I not surprised?” He asked, his voice taunting. I didn’t respond. I was trying to be a good little girl for Jake. He glanced at the IV and surprise flickered through his eyes. “This is a first.” I rolled my eyes and now he let out a laugh. “Your attitude is sure back. A few tests then we can both get our wishes and get away from each other.” He paused for a second but continued when I thought about saying something. “Jake wants this done fast, he wishes to talk to you. So if you want to fight me off, it’s your neck on the line.” Oh, that was a low blow. He pulled the Jake card, so not fair. All males were stupid. I now came to that conclusion. Well, I had that idea long ago, but more evidence now supported it.

“Get it over with.” I grumbled out.

Half an hour, thirty painful minutes, 1800 excruciatingly boring seconds later, I was free to go. After I got the usual lecture about not doing too much physical activity and to be cautious with my head and arm wound. He didn’t even try to sound sincere when he gave his usual spiel, he wasn’t even trying to fake kindness anymore. Ah well, it was mutual, only I stopped faking it a long time ago.

I walked slower than usual, my body felt strangely weak. But after Dr. Graive took a blood sample, did a few standard tests and monitored my heat, he declared me fine. It may take a while to regain my strength and my arm would be sore for at least a week, most likely more, but I wasn’t going to die.

Jake would hopefully be in the main room, if not he would probably be in his office. The main room was my first guess, so I headed there first. People passing me didn’t say anything and I was shocked. Didn’t they want to harass me about yet another screw up? I didn’t complain though. I wasn’t in the mood to beat off people by the swarms.

I pushed open the door to the main room and the fires warmth hit me at once and I couldn’t help but feel at home. This room had so many memories. Some bad, like Flint daring me to keep my hand on a burning log for thirty seconds, but others more welcoming, like the time me and Zane stayed up talking till three in the morning about life. Sure we both didn’t have too much stuff to talk about, but I learned so much about his views on this career, and he learned about mine. Zane was the only person I would ever talk to about that... well, maybe Jake, depends on my mood towards him.

Only three people remained in the room, and as soon as I had walked in, I had a good reason why. Flint had snapped around, his face holding anger ready to snap at the person coming in, but froze when he saw me. Aww, I made him freeze. I would use this against him in the future, or now if I got the right opportunity.

“Drake,” said Zane who had also turned when Flint hadn’t said a word. His face held relief as he stood up. I made my way over to the couches they were sitting on which happened to be next to the fire. Jake was staring at the fire, an emotionless wall set on his face. I turned away from him as Zane embraced me in a hug. I was confused now, what was going on?

He was careful not to hug too tight, but it still caused some unwanted pain. I didn’t show it or voice it though, I wasn’t a baby. After he let go I sat down and turned to Jake, but when he didn’t look up from the flames, I turned to Zane.

“What’s going on?”

“There was suppose to be a meeting hours ago with Boris and his men, but it got cancelled.” Said Flint, bitterness in his voice as he shot me a glare. Yeah, like it was my fault that some cop dress up pulled me over and tried to make me flat. Because that’s exactly what I was wishing for. Starlight star-bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish to night; I wish for a psycho cop to make me flat. I almost laughed at my own joke, but barely refrained. I didn’t want them to think I hit my head too hard.

“Can’t we have it now?” Jake turned now.

“Boris had to head back to his base for an emergency. He will be back late afternoon tomorrow. We’ll have to wait, his men are included in this.” I frowned. Damn, now I was to blame for this. Not good.

“Jake, I didn’t mean t-“ I started, but he cut me off. A small smile was on his face.

“Don’t fret Drake, I don’t blame you. It’s not your fault, I should have sent someone to you, or told you not to stop for anyone. However, I am very proud of you.” Proud?! I made a huge mistake, I was an idiot to not trust my gut, and I shot the guy... I think. It was kind of a blur.

“I messed up, why are you proud?”

“You called me when you knew you needed help and when you could, that’s saying something for you. You usually will only act on your own. Plus you got us a hostage.” He was still alive? As if seeing my facial expression, he continued. “I’m pretty sure he will never be able to use his right arm every again, but he is very much alive. Though I think currently he is unconscious.” I smiled at this and he laughed. “I thought you would like that.” I smiled more and glanced at Zane who was smiling also, but Flint was frowning.

I suddenly frowned though as I remembered the man. He knew my name, my full name. Knowing my first name, or even my nicknames wasn’t unlikely in this business, I had a wide rep, but knowing my last name was something.

“He knew my last name.” I finally said, looking at Jake. “How is that?” Jake frowned slightly before speaking.

“I have a few theories, but all will be saved for tomorrow evening with everyone. I don’t want to have to repeat myself. Also, then, you will tell us exactly what happened. But in the mean time I want you to go get some rest.”

“And shower, you look horrible.” Came Flint’s voice. I scowled now and shot him a deadly glare. He merely smirked at my expression before turning to Zane who was also frowning.

I allowed my body to stand up without showing any physical pain, but I did feel it. I gave Jake and Zane a small smile, shot Flint a glare, then headed towards the door. Jake said I needed rest, and as much as I hated it, I agreed; so that was what I was going to do. But as I reached the door, another thought occurred to me.

“Jake, where’s my phone?” I tried to hold my voice even, but I’m not sure I succeeded. When no one caught me on it I relaxed a little.

“I put it on your bed, along with your swim suit and purse.”I gave a nod and headed out.

I shut my door behind me, locking it. Not that I had to, but I wanted to. I had an uneasy feeling and it helped calm some of my nerves.

As Jake had said, my phone was on my bed with my other stuff. After I cleared off my bed I stared at my phone. I probably looked quite stupid just standing there staring at my phone. After getting the courage, though I don’t know why I was so afraid, I picked up the phone.

I flipped it open and a note immediately popped up. One missed call. I stared at before letting out a small laugh. It was like that horror movie... now all I had to do was wait for my death. As an assassin I was constantly waiting for it, though.

One thing about this job is that most top assassins will not live past the age of 40. It’s a cruel world, and getting on top only makes you more of a target which is why you usually don’t broadcast your kills. Telling your base is fine, as long as they don’t tell anyone. Usually your kills do manage to circulate, but everyone’s usually does.

I was trained and taught that I was going to die. That I would die sooner than most, that I shouldn’t expect to live a long old life. Where most kids were taught to share, I was taught I was going to die. No wonder I’m sadistic.

I looked at the number... Dane’s. I thought so, but I had to check to make sure. It showed that he called two hours ago, which would have meant that my phone would have been on my bed, and Jake hadn’t seen it.

The closeness of him finding out shocked me to fright. My body actually shook slightly but I got it under control shortly. I sat down, took a deep breath, then flipped open the phone. I dialled the number, my hands actually shaking. What was happening? Why was I so afraid to lose him? I barely even knew him...

“Hey...” came his voice. I opened my mouth but was cut off. “I’m not available, please leave a message after the beep.” I let out another breath, closing my eyes tightly. Why was he effecting me so? The beep went off and I was tempted to just hang up, but after a moments of hesitation, I decided against it.

“Hey.” I said in a quiet voice. Even I was surprised by how timid my voice sounded. “I’m returning your call...” I let out a breath and this time I refrained from saying anything too revealing, and it was hard. I felt so close to him already. “Call me back.”