Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Sitting in a tree

Sweat dripped off my forehead as I flipped backwards. I could hear Flint’s ragged breathing as he remained in position. I squatted lower, switching back and forth on the balls of my feet. This was the third round with Flint. He won the first, and I had to say ouch afterwards. Not from the blows, but from the hit to the ego that took. Taken on by Flint, now that would haunt me for life. However, the second round I won... and it annoyed the hell out of Flint. I couldn’t stop laughing actually as he swore. He hated losing to a girl, and seeing him freak out made it oh so much more rewarding.

Zane was being the ref, to make sure we played fair. I wasn’t allowed to hit Flint in a certain man area, and he wasn’t allowed any chest shots. Which was good. However, both guys had hesitated about fighting me when they remembered about my bandaged arm, cut face and stitched head... but I proved able so far. I was a little dizzy but I wouldn’t admit that. But to be fair, Flint had to have one arm bandaged also, and he wasn’t allowed to use it. If it he did, I would get a free hit.

He was wearing just pants, his toned chest dripping sweat. I was wearing what I usually wore when sparing which was yoga pants and a shirt that almost looked like a sport bra. And of course I was wearing a sports bra underneath.

“Tired?” I taunted. I bounced left as he struck, evading him easily. He composed himself and turned to me, a little bit of anger in his eyes.

“I’m just getting started, Dray, how’s your head feeling?” Before I could respond, Zane spoke, probably preventing a huge argument between me and Flint.

“Who do you think is involved in the attack against Jake?” I threw a punch at Flint then fainted left and went right, knocking him in the side. He blocked my first punch but took the blow to the side. He moved faster than I thought and dropped down, swinging out his leg. It hooked on my left leg and sent me toppling. I managed to catch myself with my one arm and roll before he could pin me, but it did leave me breathless.

I climbed to my feet and wiped some sweat off my forehead, he did the same. I then glanced at Zane who was waiting for an answer.

“I think Boris.” That distracted Flint so I lunged. My fist caught him under the chin and my leg hooked his legs out from under him. I had him pinned in seconds. He didn’t even notice. He didn’t even notice Zane saying I won.

“It’s not Boris. His men were with me when it happened.”

“Yes, but he was conveniently gone when I got attacked and when Jake got attacked.” Flint rolled his eyes.

“You just don’t like him.” He paused before speaking. “What would you say if I think it’s you? And get your fat ass off me.” I shot him a glare and stood.

“Get a life Flint, it’s not me.”

“Yes but you were conveniently late, you were out that one night, and you may have gotten attacked, but you conveniently managed to hold him off. Hmm?” He said, mocking me. I shot him my deadliest glare before grabbing a water bottle and towel. Zane, however, was frowning now. Great. Now was he thinking I did it. They can think what they want.

“What night were you out?” Asked Zane, glancing at Flint rather than me. I scowled and glared at Flint. He wasn’t supposed to say anything.

Yes I trusted Zane, but if he told Flint how I snuck out today, and Flint told Zane how I stayed out all night... they may get the wrong idea. Sure I wasn’t following Jake’s order, but I would never betray him. That wasn’t my style. I didn’t betray the people who rescued me and cared for me. Actually, I just didn’t betray anyone, unless they betrayed me. Then that’s a different matter.

I took a swig of my water, wiped my forehead with the towel then supported myself against the wall. Everything was spinning a little, but I ignored it. My eyes remained on Zane and Flint who were now watching me with hesitant eyes. Flint was also wiping off with a towel whereas Zane was just staring at me, frowning.

He fought Flint first. We played loser gives... and Zane lost. Him and Flint are tied, as I am. Basically we are all at the same level, we just use our own styles and throw our weight differently. Flint and Zane have more muscle than myself, so they use it. I am more on the slender side, so I use that. I use my size to my advantage and my ability to manoeuver quickly. Usually it’s how we act in the fight, or react, depending on how you look it, that determines who wins. Flint can beat me, so can Zane. However, I can also beat both of them. It depends on what we do and when we do it. We all know that we’re relevantly equal, so that’s all the matters. But we also know what strengths are with who.

I may not be close with Flint, but I admire him as an assassin. He’s talented. He makes the simplest things look complex to confuse an enemy, and he makes the most complex things look as easy as throwing a punch. He knows how to make his body let off he’s going to do something, almost as in fainting but more advanced, but he’ll do the complete opposite. I can never figure out his style, mainly because he doesn’t have one. He uses what he has to his advantage, and he analysis his component. How they’re acting, how they’re stepping and holding their posture... he watches it all. In a split second he will have their weight, height, muscle mass and possible threat, in his head. In one sentence spoken to him from another, he will have their emotion, the depth in the meaning and almost their overall character. Flint is well... he’s amazing. And I hate to admit it, and I will never admit it to his face... but he’s pro. Even I am envious at times, which usually makes me want to shoot myself in the head, but I manage to refrain.

“Don’t forget about the meeting later.” Flint said, shooting me a look and not bothering to shoot one to Zane. Psh. Yeah, like I’d forget that. I bet he still blamed me for delaying it the previous day. He can think what he wants, I don’t care but I do care about what Jake thinks. He said he was okay, but I’m still not quite sure.

Flint mumbled a farewell to Zane then left, the door slamming shut behind him. I shot it a glare before pushing off the wall. My arm was also hurting, well pulsating is more like it, but is there a big difference? Hurting, pulsating, same thing. Helping man kind, killing... same thing. Okay, maybe not, but can’t blame a girl for trying.

“I want to collect from earlier,” said Zane, blocking the door. I frowned but nodded. “What’s going on? Sneaking out, staying out all night. I want to know what’s up Andrayka, and I’m hurt you didn’t tell me already. Unless it’s something like...” he trailed off and I spoke. I would end that thought before it progressed. I didn’t need my name under suspicion. I had enough to worry about as it was. When had life become so complex? Hmm, right, when people killed other people as a favour to humanity. Yeah, I think that’s when.

“I’m not betraying Jake, if that’s what you’re thinking. You know I would never.” Zane gave a small nod before indicating to the mats. No one else was in their, obviously, so we both sat down. I sat against the wall and he sat down next to me.

“I didn’t think so. Well, not entirely. It’s suspicious, Drake, that’s all. If I know you at all I know you would never do that, but you’re confusing me. What has you going out when you’re not supposed to?” He paused. “If you’re in some sort of trouble you know I can he-“ he didn’t even finish before I started laughing. Trouble? Like what? Had I randomly become addicted to a drug? Yeah, that’s it. I’m sure I could pass Dane off as a drug, he is addictive and in ways illegal to me. I laughed harder, making Zane eye my funny. I’m sure I looked like an idiot. My head bandaged, bruises around my chest, my arm huge, sweat dripping off me and laughing so hard I was almost falling over. I must have had the sex appeal turned on high right now.

When I finally calmed down Zane looked like he was confused and a little scared. I straightened and turned to him.

“No, Dane, I am not in trouble.” He gave a feeble laugh.

“I was just throwing it out there.” He paused and when I didn’t say anything, he continued. “You gonna tell me? Or do I have to get it out of you?” I scowled, my face hardening. I hated it when he did this. Because if I didn’t respond in time he wo-

His body landed on top of mine, more gentle than usual due to my state, but with enough to force to knock the wind out of my lungs. As I gasped, his hands went to my side and began to run along them, fingers flailing. I let out a shriek of laughter as he hit the right spot. He laughed too, and a smile was now plastered to my face. Yes I was sadistic, yes I was cruel and yes I killed people... but this was one thing that made me seem more human. Made me feel more human. This was what Zane always did when I wouldn’t co-operate, of course it was in a playful gesture, but it worked. If anyone else had tried it, I probably would have blown their heads off. But this was Zane. He was like a brother to me and he was the one person I could count on.

“Okay! Okay!” I finally screeched, giving in. Being tickled by Zane tended to make me think less, but was there such a big deal in Zane knowing? I trusted him. Maybe he could shed some light on the situation.

He got off me, smiling like the idiot he was. I shot him a glare and tried to compose myself while gasping for air. Damn him.

“My natural charm leaves everyone breathless, nothing to be ashamed about.” I rolled my eyes and punched him. See, this is why I love him so much. Now me saying I love someone is like an apocalypse; rare. I loved him in a brotherly sense because he was always there for me. I rarely admitted it, but lately, despite how much I loathed it, my emotions have been showing up more. Why? I don’t know, but it’s annoying as hell. “Now, what’s up?”

I looked at him, my stomach now caught in my throat. Sure I could talk the talk, saying I could trust him, but when time came to be, I choked. What if he told Jake? Or did something worse? Was there anything worse?

My mind was probably over reacting, but that wasn’t the point. I had to tell him, he called in his favour and I always payed up. He was trustworthy so it would work out, and having someone to talk about it would help a lot. Plus it would get it off my chest.

“I guess I should start at the beginning, then? You remember that mission...”

Zane stared at me. He just stared. Didn’t blink, didn’t say anything. He just stared at me. Damn. I just confessed my feelings and everything to him, and he stares at me?! He should say something, anything. At least to let me know if I should be worried.

He finally moved, which was only to run a hand through his hair. Uh-oh. That meant he was thinking hard, that a lot was on his mind. He finally spoke, after what seemed like an eternity.

“I have a few things to say, so listen closely.” I frowned at the command but nodded. “Jake sets rules for a good reason, and if he told you to stay away from him, then you should. However, I will not be the one to inform him. If something is to happen that involves what is going on, I will be resulted to tell him. But as your friend I won’t. The next thing I want to say is things will never truly work out if you killed off his father. You’ll have to tell him someday.” He let out a breath. “Now with that lecture out of the way...” Zane grinned, his grin resembling that of a little boy. “Drake and Dane, sitting in a tr-“ I punched him.