Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Boris

Even though I was one of the top assassins, I still had to abide by the rules Flint had said at the gathering. Even Flint and Zane had to, Jake was the only one who didn’t. But that was fair, seeing as he was in charge of everything. I had no intention of following the call rule, where you had to tell Jake or Flint before you made an outward call to anyone outside the base. Obviously I would disobey that one, with only Zane knowing. So, with the only place we can be without being watched is our room, for five hours, that is when I would have to call Dane. But seeing as I’m impatient, and I’m not afraid to admit it, I’ll have to improvise.

It wasn’t that hard, actually, to figure out a way to call him without waiting for the day to end. All I had to do was ask Jake if I could go shower in my room, and of course, seeing as I was sweaty from sparing, he said yes. I felt a little guilty taking advantage of how well I knew Jake, but I tried to tell myself it had to be done.

I pulled open my door and stepped into the comfort of my room. It was fairly large, not that I spent much time in it. It basically was there for sleep, bathing and alone time. I closed the door behind me, locked it, then headed for my luxurious bathroom. Now, I may not be one to notice fine furnishing or anything along that sort of stuff, but I had to admire my bathroom. This was one of the reasons I didn’t smash it... another was the last time I punched the wall in the bathroom, I broke three bones in my hand. Now that hurt.

My bathroom was the size of a bedroom, basically. Not the size of the ones at the base, but in common houses. The floor, the walls, the ceiling and all counter and cupboard tops and sides were all made of marble. To be exact, in my bathroom, it was a sapphire and baby blue marble. Beautiful actually, but I would never voice that aloud.

Now, my sink was a pearl white, to contrast against the blue. It had black handles on the side, for cold and hot water. The sink was about a metre in width, and half a metre in height. The lighting was what amazed me. The lighting was in the marble. When you turned on the lights, specific lines in the marble would lite up, all around the bathroom.

There were also another set of lights, which were just small circles surrounding the huge mirror above the sink. Now, when I say huge, I mean it. It would take me times ten to fill it. Why they put such a big mirror in, I would never know, especially with me. If a normal size mirror was seven years bad luck, I would hate to see what happened if you broke this one. I’m not a superstitious type of girl, well, not exactly. But when you watch one of your fellow assassins ace a mission, find a hundred bucks on the ground, then walk by a black cat... only to have a car hit him seconds later and kill him, you tend to wonder.

Flint had dared me to break it one time... then again, what hasn’t Flint dared me to do? Though his dares stopped, for the most part, when he became second in command. Anyways, when he dared me, I was going to... until Jake found out. I had never heard him yell so much in my life. I also had never heard about the ten deadly facts about breaking a mirror. Jake has facts about everything, I swear. One day I wanted to test that theory, so I asked about five completely random items, and he had facts for everyone. From shoelaces, to magazines. It’s amazing... or really weird, either or.

However, in my bathroom, the most amazing part would have to be the shower/jacuzzi. It took up 1/3 of the bathroom, shining in its pearly white glory. It had twenty massage jets built in, an auto heater and ten different bubble styles. For the shower, there were shower heads all over the area. Seven to be exact, though you could choose which ones were on. You could also set the speed, the style and everything. There were even dispensers on the wall that let out the type of shampoo, conditioner, body wash and anything else, you wanted or needed. It was what any girl could dream for.

I closed the bathroom door behind me, sat down with my back against the marble, facing the sink, and pulled out my phone. I already had my story in my head of what I would tell Dane. It wasn’t completely far from the truth, I would leave in the police bit and getting beaten... but I would also add a few things, to make it seem more realistic without admitting that I’m an assassin.

I pressed in his number almost automatically, it was now engraved in my memory. It rang a few times before he picked up on the fifth one. His voice sounded breathless which made my heart speed up. Was he okay?

“Are you okay?” Was the first thing that slipped out. This only caused him to laugh which eased my nerves. That was a good sign, at least he was in a good mood. Who knows, maybe he forgot about the promise. I highly doubt it, but I’ll let my mind think that for a few more moments.

“Of course I’m okay. I was on the treadmill.” Oh. I laughed now at my foolishness. He let out a small chuckle also, but he quickly sobered up and spoke again. “Took you long enough to call. So, are you following through with that promise now?” I rolled my eyes, a smile now on my face. His voice had put me in a really good mood, and for once, I wasn’t afraid of showing it.

“I’m doing great Dane, thanks for asking.” He laughed again, but it wasn’t as long or joyful. Before he could say anything else, I spoke again. It was my turn to cut him off. “Yes, I am keeping my promise. There is one condition for me telling you, though.” I paused and only continued when he said nothing. “This stays between me and you.” There was a moments of silence, which at first I thought meant he hung up, but soon realized he was just thinking.

“Deal. Now spill.”

To make a long story short, I said it was a near rape experience. I was driving home to meet up with my close friend, as he already knew, when a cop pulled me over. Me being my loyal rule abiding self, willingly complied with what the cop asked. From showing license and registration, to getting out of the car for a breathalyzer test. I did it all, but when the cop began to feel me up, I struggled; in which time I got beaten. If it hadn’t been for my kick to his groin, I wouldn’t have gotten away.

He cursed a lot when I told the story and near the end he seemed ready to smash something. We have a thing in common, then, I suppose. We both smash things when angry. It’s a great way to relieve stress, it really is.

Dane let out a large sigh, almost making me feel guilty. He felt so horrible that I endured that, when I didn’t. I guess getting my breasts squashed could count as being felt up, but I still felt bad.

“How are the injuries?” He finally asked.

“They’re fine. I’m perfectly fine, Dane.” I paused and faked a shaky breath. “I was shaken up for a bit... but I’m fine now. It’s in the past, and I want it to stay that way.”

“Yeah, of course.” He mumbled. “I just can’t believe that...” he trailed off. “Sorry, right, left in the past. So no more talk of it.” He let out a breath. “How about dinner? You had to cut our last two dates short, so I believe it should be your treat.” I smiled. Good ol’ Dane was back.

I was about to say yes when I remembered the meeting. I was the reason it was postponed yesterday, I wouldn’t let myself be the reason for it happening again. Plus the whole base was on lock down. It was too risky.

“As much as I hate to get out of paying,” I said, sarcasm in my voice, trying to lighten what I was about to say, “I can’t. I still have to help with that emergency. It’s worse than I thought. I’m sure I can get out in a few days...” I felt guilty just saying it. I felt horrible saying it. I wanted to see him, I craved to see him. “I really am sorry, I-“ he cut me off now. My heart was thudding in my ears, expecting him to end it right now, or to get angry and demand to know about the emergency.

“Relax, I understand.” That I wasn’t expecting, but it did bring back my ability to breath. “I’ll take up your offer for in a few days. Call when you can, but know this, seeing as you’re bailing, you have to pay for the next few meals.” He paused, and I could almost see him grinning. “Can’t expect a gentleman to be one forever, can you?” I let out a laugh now, my fear gone. Why was I so fearful lately?

After saying goodbye to Dane, and taking an extremely quick shower, I headed off. I was looking for Zane, to ask about the meeting, but I found someone better; Jake. He was walking towards his office, well, more like hobbling, with two of his most loyal guards following. They were off to the side, not at all invading his personal space, but they were still there.

I decided to accompany him. For the most part, I was in a good mood. Though seeing Jake did bring up my guilt and anger. Guilt due to Dane, but anger due to the men who injured Jake.

“How are your injuries?” He asked me, I just rolled my eyes.

“Perfectly fine. I can’t wait to take off these bandages,” I lifted my arm. “How are your injuries?” He glanced at me, smiled, then faced forward again.

“More of an annoyance than anything. I now know your impatience for healing wounds.” He paused. “It’s a weird concept, understanding how you think.” I laughed now, causing surprise and happiness to flicker through his eyes. I usually didn’t laugh around him, or any assassins. I was usually cold... but ever since Dane, I had been happier. After a moments of silence, I broke it.

“When’s the meeting?”

“Boris should be back within the hour. In that time, we will call it.” I nodded but kept walking with him. It was weird, usually myself, Jake, Dane and Flint constantly hung out, but lately I hadn’t seen much of anyone. No one knew that I actually liked their company, but I did. They were like my family. Jake, my over protective father. Zane an older brother who is always there for you and Flint... the annoying second cousin you want to smash in the head. They were family, my family.

“Flint told me something.” Jake said as we reached his office. Uh-oh. He held the door open for me and I took the hint and walked in, my heart pounding. If Flint told him I was out all night... in a time like this...

I sat down and waited for him to do the same. He did, after grabbing a file from the locked cupboard. All the folders in there were on assassins with all their accomplished missions, fails, stats and any and all personal information.

“I trust Boris,” he said suddenly. What? It took me a moment to realize what Flint had told Jake. I almost laughed at how scared I had become, but I hid my amusement by putting on a serious face.

“It was just a thought. I would never bring the idea up with you unless I had proof, you know that.” Jake smiled and nodded. He turned his eyes down to the folder and opened it up. He pushed it forward so I could see. It was Boris’s folder, big surprise there.

The picture looking up from the front page, however, was of a much younger Boris. He was frowning with his arms crossed, a gun in one hand. A little bit of blood was on his clothes, but other than that, he looked relevantly normal.

“Boris has been an assassin for a long time, Drake. He’s well known and respected. I don’t want word getting out that one of my top assassins suspects him, it can damage his whole rep he’s tried to gain. And to Boris, his rep is everything. Just drop the thought.” Drop the thought? It was a single thought, and here I was getting lectured. Remind me to never tell Flint anything.

Jake had always encouraged us to think our own way and not let one individual alter how we think, yet here he was telling me to forget about it. Sure I had said it on a whim, but now that I actually gave it thought, it made sense. And this wasn’t my hatred towards the guy talking. It was pure instinct, pure gut. My gut was always right, and I doubted it would start being wrong now. Then again, I did hit my head pretty hard... which reminded me of something.

“Not trying to change the subject or anything, but what happened to the hostage? Have you gotten any informati-“

”Patience Drake, save it for the meeting.” Right. Before I could voice my thoughts about the whole Boris scenario, Jake’s phone went off. I ignored him as he opened it.
Boris had the skills and brains to pull it off, but did he have the guts? He was a pushover in most cases when it came to dealing with Jake. I may not have any proof, but I had my gut, so with that, I promised myself I wouldn’t concede the idea. Until I found proof he didn’t do it, I would keep the thought. However, Jake didn’t need to know this. He didn’t need to know many things.

“You’re a very lucky girl today, Drake. Your patience doesn’t have to last any longer. Boris is here and heading to the main room, I’ve already sent Flint off to gather the others.” Wow, had I really let my thoughts carry my away so much I missed two phone calls?

“Good,” I stood up. “If it was any longer, my curiosity might have killed me.” Interesting concept, an assassin being killed by curiosity... now that would be a best seller for a book.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one's kinda boring, so I didn't wait to post it at the same time as my other stories, like I usually do. Hopefully the next one won't be so boring.