Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Cold Shower

A challenge it was. I hadn’t slept yet, neither had the others. We were the only ones in the main room, everyone in the meeting was there. Minus Boris and Jake. I had a laptop in front of my, papers scattered around, and an energy drink beside me.

I was sitting on the floor, as was Zane. Flint was skimming through some type of book that I didn’t dare ask was about, or it may put me to sleep. Zane was helping me go through the papers and every so often tell me to do something on the laptop. I would have given him the laptop, but computers hate him. No lie. One time I told him to open up the internet and google this one guys address. I left for a minute, thinking he would be fine... and when I came back, there were three bullets in the computer. He never did tell me the full story of that, but I’ve learned to never let Zane use a computer you wish to keep.

Hunter was looking at the base’s blueprints and all of the blueprints where our assassins had been murdered. The other two had fallen asleep, books and or papers still in their hands or laps.

I sipped the energy drink, thanking the buzz slightly. Now, most would be afraid... me, an assassin, on an energy drink, but in reality, it didn’t do much. Big surprise there. The first time I tried one Flint and Zane literally dropped to the ground and covered their heads. It was a little exaggerated, but they proved their point.

“This isn’t getting us anywhere, what we need is to get out there.” I heard Flint sigh. Wow, had exhaustion taken away his ability to snipe me? Granted even I was feeling too tired to say anything back to him. The day had been so boring, and the only thing I had been looking forward to, had been pulled away from me. I wanted to question that man, but now I had to wait. That’s why Boris and Jake weren’t there, they were making sure the man was okay.

He attempted suicide, finding some piece of glass on the ground. On how it got there, I have no idea. My guess would be a chip off a plate of food, but who would know? He was currently stabilized, but Jake wasn’t taking chances. Pretty ironic, saving someone just so you can personally kill then. I wasn’t complaining though, I wanted to see him suffer after what he did to me.

“As much as I hate to say this, and I feel I’ll have to burn my tongue... but...” Flint struggled with the words, a look of pure pain crossing his face. “I agree with you.” Zane let out a weak laugh before falling backwards so he now stared up at the ceiling. I gave him a brief glance before looking at Flint.

“What do you suggest?” In rare times like this, I curse being so tired that I get along, somewhat, with Flint. He ran a hand through his hair before looking at Zane who had now closed his eyes. He wasn’t asleep, you could tell that by the rise of his chest. If he had fallen asleep, his breathing would be different.

“We can’t leave. We can’t do anything.” He let out an annoyed sound before punching the arm rest. Smart choice. It helps relieve stress and it doesn’t hurt.

“So you’re telling me, even with the role of being second in command, you can’t issue us getting out?” Before Flint answered, I turned to Zane. “How can you stand being cooped up in here? You of all people! You’re the one who said you can’t stand being in a confined space for too long, or it seems as if it’s permanently trapping you in. That you no longer have the choice to do as you please.” I let out a deep annoyed breath. What was wrong with them? “Why am I the only one seeing that sitting here is making it worse? We’re sitting ducks.” I finished my mini rant by scrunching up a paper and throwing it at Zane. He didn’t flinch as it hit him, but he did turn his head, his eyes now open. He was still laying down, but now his eyes lay on me.

Hunter was pretending not to have heard anything, so not to intrude. Part of me, only a sliver, was glad he didn’t get involved, yet another part wanted to know what he thought... if he agreed with me, that is. If he didn’t he mise as well remain silent.

“We may be sitting ducks, but we know, for the most part, what awaits us here. This is our game in here. We know everything, for this is our home. Out there,” he jerked his head to a window, “ is there game. They set the trap, we follow. It’s a sick game they’re playing, but it’s working. As much as I’d love to get out of here, we can’t. I won’t issue it, nor will I ask Jake to.” I was about to curse at him when he continued. “However, if you set up a place you wish to check out, get the blueprints and all the details, then I don’t see a threat in that. I’m sure Jake won’t, and if he does, I’ll try to convince him otherwise.” He took another pause. “But Drake, remember, what Jake says goes. So don’t go off on your own to seem all heroic. For If you did manage to survive, I’d have to kill you myself.” A sadistic smile touched his lips. “Now that’s a happy thought.”

We finally retired to sleep; on Jake’s orders. He came back, since he saw the lights on, and got mad. He said we need to be rested fully and that we can’t take bursts like that because it will tire us out even more. Yes, we have to work harder, but we also have to get at least four hours of sleep. Minimum.

My eyes were locked on the alarm clock beside my bed. 3:45. I wanted to call Dane, even though I had already talked to him, but I knew I couldn’t. He would be sleeping, and what type of person would I be if I woke him up? Okay, I would be like everyone else, but that was the thing, I wasn’t everyone else.

That was one of the biggest things getting to me lately. Besides getting beat, lectured and kissed, that was what was on my mind. Ever since I started being with Dane, I seemed more human. More normal; as in not an assassin. My tempers’s been better, my patience, which is hard to believe, and my overall mood. Dane’s been having an effect on me, and it scared me. As much as I hated to admit it, I was scared. What was I becoming? What was he turning me into? Okay, so he wasn’t turning me into anything, it wasn’t as if he was asking me to change. This was who he thought I was, and maybe, deep down, it was who I am, but I had never tested it. I had never been that close to anyone.

I grew up knowing everyone around me could and would die at any time. I grew up not making attachments, granted a few slipped through my fingers, but that’s how I viewed people. Where most people say wouldn’t that girl make a good friend, I say she’s gonna be dead soon, what’s the point? I used to try, try so hard, to be accepted. To be who I thought I should be, but after seeing so much things that would scar a normal child, I gave up. I wasn’t going to change myself. I was who I wanted to be, and I allowed that to rule my life. I was happy, in a sense. I enjoyed being feared, it meant less people to be around. I enjoyed seeing others suffer, it showed I wasn’t the only one. I enjoyed being me... till now. I still enjoyed it, still loved the feeling... but I was changing. I couldn’t deny it. Dane was changing me, and I had yet to find out if it was for the best or the worst.

My brain was spinning painfully and I knew I needed time to think. I needed... sleep. My body was exhausted both mentally and physically.

Calm. I was so calm, so relaxed... until knocking on my door woke me up. How is that I can never have a good sleep, never be relaxed for one minute, and when I finally do become so, it gets ruined? The world hates me. Maybe it’s karma for me killing people...

The knocking continued until I finally shouted come in. I didn’t care who it was, I just wanted them to go away. I was tired! My eyes glanced at the clock and I couldn’t keep the scowl from my face, 7:01. I hadn’t even slept four hours, this so wasn’t going to be a good day.

“You still seem asleep.” The voice got me up. Jake was walking in, folders in his hand. He gave me a smile before sitting on the end of the bed. What did he want? The meeting wasn’t until tonight, and he was the one who told us to get some sleep... so why was he suddenly waking me up? He never woke me up, never. “I hate to disturb the rest you need, but in recent events, I find myself with no choice.”

I sat up now, leaning my back against the headboard. My eyes briefly glanced down at my clothes; yesterday clothes. I had fallen asleep in them, and Jake had obviously noticed. A small frown and a crease on his forehead was the only signs he let off.

“What’s up?” I finally said, my voice biting back a yawn. I would have usually sniped him with some witty come back, some laughable burn... but my mind felt like mush. Slightly awake mush, but mush nonetheless.

“You know I can’t trust anyone in the base, which leads to a problem. The missions are piling up.” Shit. I hadn’t even thought of that. With all assassins confined to the base, who would go and do the hits? “Though I hate to allow my top assassins, the ones being targeted, out, I have no choice to do so.” He then handed me a folder... well, not a folder, but two. I frowned and opened the first one.

A middle aged man stared up at me, the information below. He had short curly hair, stained yellow teeth, brown eyes and a nose which looked like it had been broken a few times. My eyes then skimmed the basic information. All the main information that went into more detail would be on the other papers.

First name: Zeke
Last name: Altoy
Age: 30
Height: 6'0
Weight: 170 pounds
Current whereabouts: 908th Ave - gale apartments
Offences;
First: slaughtering a dog - dismissed
Second: gutting a cat - warned - dismissed
Third: gutting and slaughtering a 10 year old boy - active
Fourth: burning the 10 year old parents house, with them inside - active

I didn’t bother to read the second page, this was enough for now. And Jake was still here, so he obviously had more to say. Now, most people would be disgusted at what this man did, especially to a little boy... but sad enough to say, I was used to it. In fact, I was used to way worse. This was like a traffic ticket to me, which made me wonder what the world has come to? Then again, who am I to talk?

I frowned at the other folder before opening it. Another man stared up at me, this one I presumed to be in his mid twenties, though I checked the information to be sure. He had short blonde hair with blue eyes... reminded me of myself, and Zane. Granted what the guy did brought no reminder of myself or Zane. Without getting into the boring stuff, he raped and killed two teenager girls, and one woman.

“Zane and Flint are both pulling triple hits right now, separated.” Usually Flint and Zane worked together. They were both two of the deadliest assassins out there, and when together, people didn’t know what hit them. “Once those are done, they’re coming back to do at least two more, after a small break.” He paused now, worry filling his eyes. “I know you’ve been injured, which is why I’ve only given you two. Depending on your shape afterwards, I may need you to do a couple more.” He paused again, but cut me off when I was about to speak. “I do have men standing by if you need the help, and no one will think less of you... you can’t even use your right arm. Promise to call if you need it.” I rolled my eyes at his concern, but nodded anyways. If only to ease his mind. Granted he knew me pretty well, and most likely assumed that was what I was doing...

“I’ll be fine.” I paused. “Have Zane and Flint already left?” Jake nodded.

“I sent them out half an hour ago. And Drake, this time, don’t stop for anyone. I don’t care if it’s the real police, just don’t stop.” Of course I wouldn’t. Once was a hard enough blow to the ego as it was, twice would send me stumbling.

“I’ll take a shower then head out.”

“A cold one. Wake your senses and muscles.” Jake may have said it as a suggestion, as a point of advice, but I know he meant it as an order. He knew best, and I would have followed him regardless. But I bet even if I tried to turn on the hot water, it wouldn’t work.

He gave me one small smile before standing up, leaving my room. My eyes fell on the folders, and almost instantly my fatigue was gone. This was what I was meant for doing, this is what I lived to do...

No better way to wake an assassin by assigning them a kill.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, this one's boring, sorry.