Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Compromise

They obviously weren’t organized. They fumbled tying my hands, and also fumbled getting me up. The only thing they didn’t fumble with was the gun to my head. Which was the only thing that was keeping me from attacking. Now, this may seem like a bad situation, but in my head, I had it all under control... for the most part. However, I was waiting till we were inside to act. The rain was beginning to annoy me.

My eyes kept darting back and forth, taking in every little detail again. When I first did it, I was taking in what they could to their advantage, now I was doing it to my advantage. Granted I still had the whole area carved into my memory, I wanted to double check. To be safe. I wouldn’t mess this up. Somehow, I would turn this to my advantage.

The man in the front, my target, kicked open the door and strolled in. I was shoved inside behind him, the two still alive friends following. The gun never left my head, and I was pretty sure I had popped a few stitches already.

My target brought a kitchen chair to the living room and stuck it in the middle. Hmm. I wonder what they’re going to do with that? I have a wild guess... tie me up mafia style. I couldn’t help roll my eyes, which earned a smack to the face. The gun tip left my head for a brief second before it returned. The man was obviously shocked of what my target did.

My cheek stung, but I didn’t show any pain. I wouldn’t, but that seemed like the worst thing to do. My target now pulled out a gun also before grabbing me by my hair and throwing me on the ground... well trying to. I caught myself and stood straight up, my hands still tied behind my back. This seemed to annoy him more as he aimed the gun at my head.

“Sit down,” he hissed. I gave him a lingering glare, just to scare and annoy him, before doing as he said.

One of the men then tied my hands again, this time to the chair. I kept them pressed outwards, so when he finished, I had a little slack. I didn’t use it yet, though. I had to plan it all out first, that way, I wouldn’t get shot again.

“Who placed the hit?” My target said, coming too close for comfort. Now, at our assassin base, some hits are placed, some we place ourselves. We have connections into all the mafia’s and gang’s, also many cops give us cases that they couldn’t do anything about it. Granted they no next to little of who they’re giving it to, but they do it anyways. But sometimes, when someone does something really bad to another person, and say the brother of that person wants revenge, what do they do? They place a hit. With us or another place.

Now, if a cheating husband just wanted to get rid of his wife, then no, we won’t do it. But when it involves something horrible, then yes we will. So obviously this guy thought all of our hits were placed personally. I’m glad he thought that, that was what people were supposed to think. Don’t ask me why, Jake is the only person who really knows. Flint might, but I rarely talk to him willingly.

Now in the case of my target, yes someone did place the hit. However, Jake never puts that information in the folder. If we want to know, we have to ask him, and have a reason for wanting to know.

“Where’s the fun in that?” I asked, a small smile on my face. Sure, I shouldn’t taunt him... but it was what I did best. “Come on, take a guess.” A small smile cracked one of his friends faces. They were both standing in front of me. Only my target had his gun up, the other two had them hanging by their sides.

“I’m sure I don’t need to tell you what I could do to you,” he hissed. “So answer the question.”

“Everyone in the world wishes for another to drop down, yet if everyone was to know who the perpetrator was, no one would remain.” He just kept getting madder, which should have been my que to lie and pretend to answer his questions, but seeing his anger was just too fun. Plus watching his ego crumble as his friends tried not to smirk at the fact he was getting disrespected by a girl, was an added bonus.

He backhanded me again. My eyes shut automatically and my head snapped. The chair rocked from the motion but somehow managed to stay standing. I tasted a little bit of blood from where my teeth bit my cheek. I spat it out before opening my eyes, most of my humour gone.

He was glaring harshly down at me. Okay, this was old. Time to talk.

“I have backup,” I said, making eye contact with him. “They’ll be here soon.” He scoffed. This wasn’t a lie, however. When I hung up, Jake no doubt would have sent someone to my GPS location.

“Nice fib, girl, but I’ve heard about you. The female assassin, one of the top. You have a high price on your head. The fact that I got you is an ego booster itself, but the fact that I caught you is overwhelming.” He said, beaming like an idiot.

Since when did I get a price on my head? And since when did people know of me? Jake said no one did, he made sure no one did. I was deadly, I’ll admit that, but the fact that I was a girl was even deadlier. No one ever suspected them. The thought wouldn’t even cross their mind.

“I’ve also heard that you never ask for backup. So you’re out of luck.” I could still use this.

“With this price on my head, recently made,” I hoped it was recently made. If my thoughts were correct, it was made by Dalton and Lincoln. Which meant they were recruiting whoever they could find, like this piece of scum. When my target didn’t correct my assumption, I continued. “My boss,” like I would ever call Jake my boss, “has been more cautious. He’s been keeping tabs on me, and I missed my check in time, so yes, backup is on the way.”

This time he bought it. I could see the flicker of fear in his eyes as he stood up straight. He surveyed me, as if waiting for me to yell joking. I didn’t, though I was tempted to... just to see what he would do.

He swore before beginning to pace. I let out a small breath before letting my mind race. I hit was on my head now? Damn. This sure complicated things. I only knew of two guys who had a hit on their head. One, who decided to ignore it then face it head on... who is now six feet under. And the other who has been in hiding for the three years of his life. He can’t even shower without checking in with a guard to check his bathroom.

I couldn’t live like that. I would be more of a threat to myself. If I had my way, I would end up like that dead guy; ignoring it till it bit me in the ass. Jake, however, probably wouldn’t like that.

“So I guess I can’t wait any longer, can I?” My body reacted immediately. I threw my body weight, causing the chair to tumble. I flipped my body over it, wrenching my hands in the process. The rope strained before snapping. I landed on my stomach before using my hands to push across the floor, sailing me out of the way of a bullet.

The bullet barely missed my back leg as I planted a foot and pushed up. I ignored the friends and went for my target. He was the only one shooting right now, for the other two seemed frozen. Hopefully they would stay that way.

He shot again, and since I wasn’t an idiot and I was expecting it, I ducked and swung out my foot. It hooked his legs, pulling them out from under him. Another bullet rippled out of his gun as is finger pulled it out of fear. This one hit the ceiling.

I jumped, pinning him, my hand now gripping his wrist that was holding the gun.

“Kill her!” He yelled, his voice extremely high pitched. I saw the movement of the one and quickly grabbed the gun. I twisted his wrist and pushed it against his other, holding it in one hand, before snapping my head up, his gun now in my hand. I snarled and was ready to shoot when I saw what they were doing...

Their movement wasn’t to shoot me, it was to put their guns down. They both kept their eyes on me as they stood up straight, their hands now in the air. What the?

“I have a family,” the one finally said. “If I die, they’re as good as dead. You need anything, I’ll do it. Want rope for him? I got it. Want his body dumped? I’ll do it? Want me to forget your face, consider it forgotten.” I blinked before glancing at the guns.

“Kick them forward.” I kept the gun up as they did as I said. The guns hit my target and I could see the anger in his eyes. Apparently he didn’t like being betrayed. I glanced one last time at the two men before pressing the muzzle to my targets forehead. Fear and sweat hit him as he stared at me. Then, to my surprise, he smiled and let out a throaty laugh.

“You don’t have the guts.” My finger pulled the trigger and my head turned. Now, I don’t mind watching them die, but I do mind getting brains on my face.

His head practically exploded from the bullet... most of it going over me. The blood got absorbed into the material, but the lager parts were left to sit upon me.

I didn’t hesitate to push myself up and turn to the other two which were both staring at me, fear and shock in their eyes. Did they think I would wait to kill him? Or that I wouldn’t go through with it? Typical guy, thinking a girl isn’t capable of going through with a rough task. Ah well, I showed them. But now the big question remained, should I spare them? One had held a gun to my head, while the other helped to tie me up... granted they helped in the end, but still.

The one had a family. And at the thought, Zane also came into my mind. I didn’t have time for this. I needed to get to him. To find him, to make sure he was okay.

“You never saw me. Got it?” Both nodded. “If I find out otherwise, you both will get hits on your head.” I didn’t wait for a response.

The hits had taken longer than I expected. By the time I was back in my car and driving, I knew Jake would have had men out for me. The GPS was still hooked up, so I knew he would find me. Part of me wanted to un-hook it, to say screw you to Jake and go out. But then another thought hit me. I would be of no help to Zane if I got captured too. I wouldn’t be able to do anything, and that would hurt more than waiting. So I would compromise, and if Jake didn’t want to, then I would go my own way.

The phone was to my ear as I drove away from the house. The rain was still coming, and the heater in the car was currently blasting. I had ditched the bulky sweaty, along with the brain and skull bits on it. I didn’t need to be pulled over and have that come up.

“Andrayka, if you hang up on me again I swear...” Jake said, trailing off. He obviously had been waiting for me to call back, and I couldn’t help but bite back a small smile.

“I called to ask for a compromise.” I said, skipping the hello’s and how are you?’s. He was silent for a while before he finally spoke.

“And what would that be?”

“I want to go out looking for him now, or do something now. I can’t sit back, Jake, I won’t sit back.”

“So how is this a compromise?” He had a point there, but I wasn’t finished. What was it with men that made them think that a woman never compromised?

“You can send men to back me up, heck, I’ll even accept Flint. I’ll keep the GPS on, and I’ll go where you tell me to. I’ll follow your directions. If it gets bad, and you want me back, I’ll come back... but just give me a chance.” I know I shouldn’t be begging, offering so much, but... it was Zane. As much as I wanted to just do it all on my own, I couldn’t risk getting in trouble with Jake now. He was under so much stress, and he was likely to kick me out for disobeying his orders. After that meeting, I think anyone who disobeyed him would be kicked out. Granted he gave me some more slack because, well, because it was me, but that didn’t mean I would push it. Plus the fact that I had a hit on my head didn’t ease my nerves. I would have to tell Jake, but I would tell him when I got back.

“You know Alhre forest?” He didn’t wait for an answer before continuing. “The car was found on the west edge of it, along the highway. My men have found some evidence he took off on foot, or someone did. It leads south west into the forest. The only other access road that leads away from it is along the south east part of the forest. Go there and I’ll send Flint to meet you. I just want you to see what you can find, then come back. Got it? No chasing down cars, no sniffing out people, no anything. Go there, look around, come back. Got it?”

“Yes.” My mind said no, but I wasn’t about to tell him that. If I found a solid lead, I was going for it. Nothing would stop me from getting Zane back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. Hope you liked it.