Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Accept it

Despite my urge to find Zane, to get this all over with, I found myself dozing off during the car ride. I guess it was reasonable, seeing as my head needed re-stitching and my arm now needed care again. But still, I was an assassin, a very talented assassin. Am I modest or what? I shouldn’t have been feeling this bad. I should be able to take it, take it like a hit to a stomach to a guy. Let out a grunt and get even. That’s what I was trying to do, what I was attempting to do. But everything I did lately went in the wrong direction. I screwed up on an easy mission, granted there was a mistake in the folder, which I would mention to Jake, but I still should have been more alert. Nothing should have been able to sneak up on me. I was supposed to be in the mode and when like that, nothing, I mean nothing stops me. That’s how it had always been, always would be... or so I thought.

I could easily blame these changes on Dane; seeing as it all started around the time I met him. But I finally realized something, this wasn’t his fault. Sure he was making me feel things I had never felt, feel an attachment I had never been able to obtain, but it wasn’t his fault. My problem wasn’t the emotional attachment to him; it was stronger. Bigger.

It all started around the time I met Dane. But other things also started, and thinking about my most recent screw up, I realized it. It all began to fall down hill after my first screw up. I somehow got lucky and managed to kill Dane’s father, most likely a fluke of the day. But after that, it all went down, and I finally realized that.

However, I believed it could easily be fixed. I didn’t give up easy, heck, I didn’t give up. I would fight this through till I was dead. And judging by that hit placed on my head, and how lowlifes like my target knew about it, they were hiring anyone. That it was a public hit, which meant I was in deep trouble.

My eyes sunk a little more and this time, I allowed them to close. I briefly heard Flint mumbled something, but I pushed it away, pulling my knees to my chest. I was tired, and I was going to take advantage of the drive home. It’s not like I had planned on talking to Flint anyways.

Something hard hit my shoulder, jolting me awake. My body jumped and I had my back up gun out within a second, my eyes alert. All that met them was Flint who was giving me an annoyed look.

Looking out the window I realized we were parked, and at the base. I let out a breath, shooting Flint a glare, before getting out. Flint also got out and for a second we both stood there, staring at the trunk. Finally, he spoke.

“The guards can do it.” I smiled, and for the first time, I found myself appreciating the words that came out of Flints mouth. However, his smile soon faltered and he swore. “Scratch that. There’s a betrayal...” he trailed off for a moment. “Put yourself to good use for once and open the door.”

It took me a moment to realize what he had said. He didn’t want my help? Wait, I mean he didn’t demand my help? After blinking a few times I scowled and went to help him anyways. I was as capable as ever, even with my bummed arm.

He ignored me, even when I grabbed the arms. The only recognition I got from him was the fact he yanked the body away from me, if you could even call that recognition. He then headed to the door, letting out a grunt in the process. The man may not have been overweight, but he sure did have muscle. A small fact, muscle weighs more than fat. Flint sure had his work cut out for him, even I wouldn’t attempt to carry a body that size by myself. Drag? Sure. Carry? No way.

When he reached the door he stopped and looked at me for the first time. If it wasn’t still raining, I would have sworn I saw sweat on his forehead. He shot me a glare before speaking.

“Can’t even do one simple thing. Pathetic.” I returned his glare and walked to the door, my anger now resurfacing. I pushed past him and put my hand on the scanner. It gave that tickling sensation once again, before the eye detector came out. I put my eye to it and soon the click of the door opening came. Flint pushed past me, the leg of the body hitting me.

I walked in after him, staying my distance from the body. If I didn’t need to touch it, I wouldn’t. I was fine with Flint doing all the real work, besides the fact it was degrading. But other than that small factor, I was fine watching him suffer.

Flint continued to walk on through the main entrance, heading towards the lab room.

The base was fairly large. Once you were to enter it, you went into the main entrance. Off to the left of the main entrance was the door that led to the main room. Through the main room was the door that led off to the dining room and kitchen. Now, if you went right instead of left in the main entrance, you would get a variety of different rooms. There was Jakes office, along with many other offices. Some which held surveillance, others which held important information. Then there was the gun locker... though it would make more sense to call it a gun room. It, however, was locked on the outside, and all of the guns were locked in drawers or cabinets in the room. Then there was the lab room, where all of our csi stuff was held. If you’ve ever watched csi, you’d know all the basic stuff needed, and that was all crammed into that one room.

If you were to take the hallway on the far wall, it would lead you to the basic gym and a set of stairs. The basic gym held the most basic equipment for working out, but if you wanted a real workout, there was the larger gym that was in the basement, down the stairs. This gym also had a ring for fighting and matted areas for other activities. That was where I, along with Zane and Flint, always spared. Then, off from the large gym, there was the shooting range. It had twenty elongated halls, all with targets at the end. Though the targets could move closer if you needed them to. The last thing in the basement would be the child training facility. This also held a mini kitchen and bedrooms for the children.

Back to the main entrance, you would see a huge staircase in the middle of the room. This led up to the top floor where all of the bedrooms were held. I personally found the whole place too big, but some assassins constantly complained about the lack of room.

I followed Flint into the lab room, my eyes briefly scanning around. The lab room held many counter tops and burners, along with a light table and a few tables meant specifically for bodies. That was where Flint dumped the man.

I avoided all of the beakers and any counters that already had items scattered on them. Now, I may be smart in many aspects, but not when it came to using this equipment, or mixing chemicals. The last time I tried to do so, I lost an eyebrow from the explosion. To say the least, I was about as good doing this work as Zane was with handling computers. Now usually Flint would take advantage of this situation, me being in an area I did poorly in, and exploit it to his personal amusement. However, he couldn’t say anything in the matter; for he was as bad as I was.

Yes, Flint was horrible at something. He exceeded in everything, he was professional in almost every aspect, except this. He knew about as much as I did, and it annoyed him. He tried learning it, tried to get better, but it didn’t do any good. It was one of those things that no matter how much you practised, no matter how dedicated you were, you can’t get better at it. I accepted the fact, but Flint still tried on the occasion. Now, though, he avoided touching stuff, as I did.

“Go to the doctor,” he said glancing at me. “I’m sick of watching your back. I’m not your babysitter.”

“Since when have you watched my back?” I shot back at him.

“Since you got too weak to do anything.” I started forward, my fists clenched, when Jake made his appearance. Perfect timing, for Flint that is.

“Drake, we don’t need anyone else having injuries. And Flint, stop baiting her.” His voice sounded almost recorded from his monotone. He had given that lecture so many times it was like a reflex to him. He didn’t even need to consider what he was saying.

I unclenched my fists and put more distance between myself and Flint. I then glanced at Jake. As I did, Flint’s words rang through my ears, Jake is breaking. I was fine, until I saw the fear in Jake, saw the defeat. I couldn’t help but notice the rings under his eyes, the way he limped worse than the previous day and the way his eyes didn’t hold that gleam anymore. Jake always had a gleam in his eyes, a gleam of happiness and pride. It was too weird seeing it gone, and it made Flints words seem all the more like the truth.

Jake’s eyes scanned the body before looking up. He glanced at Flint then me, a look of anger in his eyes. But what shocked me more was the fact that the anger was directed at us, not the man himself. Flint also looked shocked, which made me feel a bit better. At least I wasn’t the only one in the dark.

“I said look for evidence, not to hunt down anyone.” He growled before turning to Flint. As his mouth opened, I quickly spoke. As much as I would have loved to watch Flint get chewed out, I wouldn’t in a time like now. We had more things to worry about, and talking would only delay us from concentrating on them.

“We found him in the forest you sent us to.” I said, getting Jake’s attention. “He was stuffed in a tree. We didn’t kill him, we only found him. If you look,” I said getting closer to the body. “He has bullet wounds to his stomach. That’s Zane’s signature.” It was most likely other assassins or murderers signature, but some part of me just knew it was Zane. It had to be, and I was listening to my gut this time. The last time I didn’t, I ended up underneath a mans foot.

Jake surveyed me for a brief second before heading over to the body. I watched as he took in everything, and I could only imagine what his eyes were looking for. Any distinguishing marks, bruising, defence wounds and any other marking that may give us a clue of where he had been. Maybe even a stray hair from sort of pet, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. If he was a trained killer, he would know not to be careless like that. But then again, Dalton and Lincoln weren’t hiring just the best, they were hiring anyone. Sure they may have more numbers, but in the end, it wasn’t worth it. Hopefully we managed to luck out and we got one of the non-trained killers.

“I’ll have someone analyse everything.”

“Is it safe to trust them around the body?” Flint asked, voicing my doubts. Jake gave Flint a tired look before heading to the door. Only when he reached it did he speak.

“Vachel apparently has skills in this area, and according to you, Boris’s men were with you at the time of the incident.” With that he was gone. Once again this left me and Flint alone, something that was turning into a common occurrence, but not a liked one.

Flints fist slammed into one of the metal cupboards, resounding the room with noise. His other hand ran through his hair as he swore, his body beginning to pace. Once again I was at a loss for words. Jake was losing his cool and composure, as was Flint, and Zane was gone. Was I the only semi sane person left?

“This isn’t right!” He finally yelled. “We don’t need some freaks who follow Boris as a leader helping us! This is our problem, our responsibility. They should go-“ he cut himself off, biting his fist. After letting out a deep breath he continued. “I don’t like this.” His eyes met mine. “But what I don’t like even more is the fact that you’re okay with it. You of all people, haven’t said a word.” Is that what was tearing him up? I could clear it up with one word.

“Zane.” I was only holding my composure because we needed to find him. He let out a laugh now, anger and sorrow mixed within it.

“Yeah, Zane. He counted on the base to have his back, and how do we repay him? Get others to do the research. Leave the important stuff to people who don’t give a damn. He’s probably dead right now, and rolling in his grave.” That was like a punch to the stomach.

“He’s not dead.” I said with as much strength as I could muster. Did Flint really think he was dead, or was it just his anger talking? Flint was smart, and if he really thought something...

“Really? Prove it. If you were Zane, and not dead, what would the first thing you’d do be? Phone the base.” I opened my mouth, but he cut me off. “But of course he might not have a phone, so what would the second thing be? Leave some sort of trail, leave some sort of indication that he’s alive. He’s not an idiot Andrayka, he’s smart! Brilliant! He would have left something. The way I see it, we’re not searching for him anymore, we’re searching for his mutilated body.” My body was shaking now. Flint was wrong, he had to be! There was a first for everything, and here was his first.

“Shut up,” I said in a deathly low voice. “He’s alive, I know it.” Even as the words left my mouth I felt and heard the uncertainty.

“The sooner you accept it the sooner you can move on an pay your respects to what little of his body we can fi-“ I swung my fist, catching his chin in an uppercut. I felt the strength from my core and knew that he wouldn’t be leaving this room without a bruise.

I stepped back, my breathing heavy as I glared at him. His hand was now gripping his chin and his eyes were downcast, as if he was too ashamed from the hit to face me.

“Your anger always appears before you accept something.” No! I screamed in my head before launching at him. It may not have been the most professional thing to do, or the most thought out attack, but I did it.

But because I didn’t think, I merely acted, he had my face pressed up against a metal cupboard within seconds, his body putting pressure on mine. He shoved me harder against it, and I knew some of the old Flint was still there. But that didn’t release any of my anger.

Zane wasn’t gone, he wasn’t! I would have known, I would have been able to tell. If Zane was gone, I would be the first to know. He couldn’t be gone. He was the one person I couldn’t have grown up without, the one person that even I admired openly. He was a part of me, and if he was dead, so was I. If he was dead, I would do far worse to his killers than what had been done to him. I would make them suffer and squirm. I would make them beg and plea, but for Zane, I would show no mercy. If Zane was dead, the men who did it would have hell to pay. I would make sure of that.

“Jake won’t let you out if you don’t control yourself. I may hate you, but I trust you, so get a hold of yourself.” He shoved me harder before letting go. “If that hit on your head doesn’t kill you, I think you might do it yourself.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. Also, sorry for not having posts for the other two stories. Enjoy.