Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Truth

“I would rather have that discussion in private, Jake.” Flint turned his attention to me and shot me a look which I knew meant to take it easy. For this was a time that bluntness would not help.

“I trust everyone in this room.” What was I to say to that?

“But I don’t.” Jake frowned, as did Boris. But his frown was more of a frown in rage, and I immediately knew he knew we were catching on to him. He wouldn’t go down without a fight, maybe bluntness was the best way.

“What does that mean, Andrayka?” Boris’s voice was laced with venom, something he didn’t even bother trying to hide from Jake. My name from his lips didn’t go well. It made me want to change my name, and I had never wished for that. I liked it, even if it was girly, it could easily be altered to seem different.

“It means t-“

”That she feels more comfortable around Jake, and although both yourself and Hunter are here to help, that doesn’t help ease her mind. This is a delicate situation, and it’s Drake. She doesn’t trust, so don’t take it personally,” Flint said, his eyes meeting mine in another warning. Boris let out a scoff.

“Bullshit. She just wants to weave her lies about myself and our crew. I’m not an idiot, and I can see her intentions clearly now. I’m not at all surprised, what else could you expect from a liar herself? Deceit is in her blood.” What?! Okay, now I was getting to my boiling point, and Flint saw it. He shifted so he was now standing more in between myself and Boris, his eyes on mine, but his words directed at Boris.

“I dislike Drake more than anyone, but one thing she would never do is betray this base. She has her faults, many of them I might add, but whatever intentions she has, they are not uncalled for. Before you know them, don’t make accusations.” So professional, so efficient... something I would never say. Jake was watching with a frown on his face, his eyebrows ceased. Hunter was also frowning, but he held more concern than anything. How did I ever see him as a threat? He was good at making it a front, but it wasn’t who he was. He was a calm assassin, something that I misjudged him on the first time I met him. He probably just had issues with girls.

“Is the base on lock-down?” Boris asked, turning to Jake. I frowned, where was this going? And what had he meant by deceit is in her blood? Jake gave a nod to Boris, obviously also wondering where it was going. “Which means no one leaves. That no one goes out without your permission?” Jake gave another nod, slower this time. At this point my heart nearly stopped. I didn’t like where this was going, and I had a pretty good idea, but when I went to say something, he cut me off. “Andrayka, do you understand that concept?” I gritted my teeth.

“Boris, a point of advice? Nothing good comes from when you talk, so shut up.” He smiled wider now.

“I’ll take that as a yes. So, if you understand that concept, does that mean you think you’re above it?” Flint turned to Boris now, a frown coming on his face. Oh shit. No. No. No. No. This wasn’t happening. How did he know I was leaving? I really didn’t like where this was going, and I had no idea how to fix it. This was a situation I had never been in.

“What are you getting at?” Flint finally asked, his voice slightly harsh. Jake was also frowning deeper, his eyes locked onto me, but I wouldn’t meet his gaze, I was more intent on watching Boris’s.

“It is under my knowledge that she has been leaving the base regularly, without consenting anyone in the matter.” I tried to remember to breathe, I tried to remember to take deep breaths, but it seemed like everything I thought went right out of my head. This was it. Jake would find out, I would get pulled, and I would never see Dane again. I would never have his arms around me, and I would never feel his lips against mine either.

“Again?” Came Flint’s voice, momentarily snapping me back.

“What do you mean, again?” Asked Jake, his voice now harsh. Harsh because of me. Hunter was now eyeing me funny, as if I had been the one betraying him, which I hadn’t been. I didn’t understand how such a simple thing like dating a guy could have this big of an effect.

“I caught her coming in one morning, before Zane went missing. Zane also mentioned covering for her, but I figured it was her being her usual whacked out self, and preferred not to know.” He glanced at Boris than back at me. “However, if I knew she was still doing it...” his eyes narrowed, and Jake turned to me. Boris was beaming, his stupid little eyes gleaming, and his whole body practically radiating happiness. Oh how I wished to ring his neck right then.

“I’m sure when she was assigned to cover the betrayal on yourself, Jake, she was positively thrilled.” No. No!

“This is bullshit, Jake, I didn’t betray you! I never would, you know that!” Flint had shifted so he was standing partially in front of Jake. Hunter had also now stood, and I realized now that they were trying to surround me. I backed up, my hand self consciously inching for my gun. But it was on my bed side table, so all I had was a my dagger. I didn’t want to use it on them, but if they attacked me, I would.

“Out of all people, you?” Flint hissed, stepping forward again. I calculated his next move and dived, my hand reached my gun and I pointed it at his head, just as he had went for his. He froze, his eyes on my gun. I wasn’t stupid enough to think I could take them all, but I could certainly stall until they knew the truth. Hunter also froze now.

“Andrayka, you don’t want to do this. Put down the gun.” Jake said, but his voice was laced with... pain? Damn it! I didn’t betray him. He shouldn’t be feeling that. He shouldn’t be using my full name, he should be using my nickname.

“Step back, Flint.” He didn’t move. “Flint, step back! I didn’t do anything!”

“Then put down the gun.”

“Why? So you can shoot me?” My voice had went slightly shrill. I hated it. But I hated knowing they thought that I had betrayed them. That was one thing I couldn’t stand. I turned my eyes to Jake, keeping my peripheral vision on Flint. “Think Jake, do you honestly think I would betray you?” He stared at me for a long time, his eyes not quite meeting mine. In that time I could feel his pain, feel his disappointment.

“No.” He said, very quietly, but the pain didn’t go away. “Where were you going, then?” That was the question they all wanted to know, the question I couldn’t tell. Jake would take Dane away from me, he would ruin it all... and I was beginning to wonder if I could live without him.

With him, I was happy. Something I had rarely felt. With him I was loved, something as equally as rare. And with him, I didn’t have to worry about getting shot in the head. I loved being with him, I enjoyed his company. It wouldn’t be fair to rip that away from me, as soon as I got it. It wasn’t fair.

“Where were you?” Jake repeated. I glanced away.

“See. She’s guilty. I know it’s hard to believe bu-“ started Boris, but I shut him up as I pointed the gun at his temple. Jake’s frown deepened even more. Even though I had it on his second command, I think he knew deep down that I couldn’t kill Flint. Hurt, yes, wound, of course, but kill? No. Boris, however, I could.

“Andrayka, put down the gun, now!” I had never heard such a harsh demand from him, and for the first time in my life, aside from the factor with Dane, I ignored him.
“Nice trick, Boris. Real nice. Distract everyone while you get off scotch free? Really nice plan, one problem... me. I repay everyone, and I’ve been dying to repay you for everything you’ve done.” I paused, taking a cautioned step forward. “Hunter here caught you in some things, and also got proof that you’re the one behind the betrayal. I always knew it... but without proof, I had nothing. That’s changed now. So I can finally do what I’ve always wanted to.” I put my finger on the trigger, but didn’t pull. “Tell them, Hunter. Or better yet, show them.” Hunter didn’t move. I growled. “Show them!” My life was on the line, and the only way to get it off was to prove I wasn’t the one betraying Jake. For everyone knew I would never team up with Boris. Never.

Once again, Hunter made no movement. I let out another growl and was about to repeat myself, when I caught a blur of movement.

I dove just as Flint would have slammed into me. In the end, he took out my legs, taking me to the ground. I rolled, kicking up, landing my heel on his chin. He let out a snarl and dove for my gun. I wouldn’t shoot Flint unless I had to. Not now, anyways. With Zane gone, we needed everyone, and I was already injured, we didn’t need both myself and Flint injured. So, with that thought, I flipped the gun around and smashed the barrel across Flint’s face. His head jerked aside, and I used that time to kick him off me. His body went flying, hitting one of the chairs and toppling it over.

He flipped back to his feet and started forward... only to stop. I was still on the ground, my arms supporting me from behind, my breathing deep. I followed Flints gaze to see Jake standing near me... his gun trained on my head. That took my breath away.