Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Jake

Jake was a skilled assassin, far better than skilled. He had trained all of us, and afterward trained other men to train the newbie’s that would eventually take our jobs. He may have been 35, but he still knew how to do everything without any hesitation. When you’re the head of a base, that means you rarely go out and do that work yourself. That’s not for apathetic purposes, but for safety. Where would the base be, if its head was dead? He had to be here to run everything.

From what I had heard, Jake had been recruited when he was seven, considerably older than most kids. Usually they were recruited at the age of five, or six. Jake had been homeless at the time, having run away from his fathers place. Apparently his mother died when he was three, and his father was a drug addict. He grew up having to get away from his father and his fathers friends. So when Eric, who was the previous head of the base, found Jake in an alleyway... he knew the kid had talent. For Jake had managed to evade Eric, and only got caught when he had to jump back to avoid a car.

Eric had taken an interest in Jake, and for the first time in assassin history, a second hand was placed on an eleven year old boy. Jake had been assigned that position at eleven, and frankly, he scared everyone. At the age of sixteen, he became the first teenager to run a base. Eric had been killed in a car bombing, leaving him no choice to take over. I may be ruthless, Flint and Zane may be a crazed duo, but if Jake went after you, you better be afraid. I would run, I would run far, for Jake would show no mercy. And now he was pointing his gun at me; at my head. How could I not be afraid?

“Jake,” I breathed, my voice barely audible. His eyes were emotionless, and I felt a huge wave of fear hit me. There was a good chance I was going to die, a good chance that I would never get to see Dane again.

“Last chance, Andrayka.” He said, his voice strangely distance, as if he didn’t want to acknowledge the fact he was going to kill the very girl he saved, the very girl he trained and raised. Glad he could push it aside to be able to kill me. “Why have you been sneaking out?” I stared into his eyes and knew he would kill me, and that scared me. I never thought he would be able to, and obviously that had been a mistake. He was an assassin, of course he could kill me. Of course he wouldn’t hesitate to do so if I was a threat. So that left me with no choice. “Andrayka, speak now! You have three sec-“

”Dane.” I blurted out. That caught Jake off guard. He blinked... and blinked again, just staring at me.

“Who’s Dane?” Asked Flint. I didn’t look at him. I didn’t even dare breathe. Jake was still staring at me, his eyes slightly confused... and then recognition hit his face, and his gun lowered, only slightly.

“Dane...” he said slowly, his eyes on me. I gave a small nod, trying not to move too much. He still had his gun partially raised. “When?”

“Mall.” He stared at me a moment longer before lowering the gun.

“Jake, what’s going on?” Asked Flint, his voice beginning to sound angry.

“Don’t lower your gun! She-“ started Boris, only to be shut up by a look from Jake.

“She’s not betraying me.”

“Who’s Dane?” Jake looked back at me.

“Am I to assume he’s now your boyfriend?” His voice was slightly harsh, but that I deserved. I went against his orders. I gave a weak nod, still not daring to move too much. Jake stepped back, indicating I could stand up. Usually he would offer a hand, but not now. Now we weren’t on good terms, and I knew that, I accepted that... but I wasn’t happy about it. It tore at me, but there was nothing I could do. My mouth seemed sealed shut, and my mind wasn’t functioning properly. My heart was beating erratically, and I didn’t know if I should try to explain what I felt towards Dane, or not. I just didn’t know what to do.

I finally stood, keeping my eyes on Jake, and my peripheral vision on Boris. Hunter had moved to stand by the door, which I was thankful for, and Flint was getting too close for comfort.

“Boyfriend? Jake, what’s going on?” Jake turned to him.

“You remember the hit Andrayka pulled, on Thatchet?” Thatchet was Dane’s father, though I usually didn’t remember names, I doubted I would forget this one. Flint nodded. “Dane is his son. She was ordered to stay away from him, but as you can tell, she disobeyed that.” Flint’s eyes turned to me, emotionless. I didn’t care much what he thought, but I had a feeling he was thinking that I had betrayed Jake. That in going against his word, I had broken my hold with the base, and was now no better than Boris. I had a feeling he was thinking that, but until I got everything settled with Jake, well if I did, I wouldn’t worry about it. For now I had bigger problems.

“You went against Jake’s orders?” Flint hissed, stepping closer. I stood my ground, but that didn’t stop me from wanting to hit him. Jake wouldn’t allow me to hurt Flint now, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t allow Flint to hurt me. Sometimes things aren’t fair, sometimes you bring it upon yourself. I think, this time, I brought it upon myself. So, I would either stand my ground, or take it like man. And ironically enough, I could take it like a man better than most men. “That’s pathetic.” He hissed. Flint was loyal, and I used to think I was too. But standing here was lowering my own thoughts on myself, and I didn’t like it. Nor was I going to admit it.

“Back off, Flint.” I growled. Jake was watching me closely, as if waiting for me to lose it and hit Flint. Oh how I wanted to, but I didn’t. I just allowed him into my personal space, I allowed his anger to wash over me, and I allowed him to size me up.

“Or what, Andrayka? Or what?!” Those words were hissed in my ear, and I had to hold very still not to move. I had to control everything I had not to strike at him, and it took all my will. My fists were actually shaking, and I couldn’t even remember clenching them.

Flint seemed ready to either strike me, or do something, when a phone went off; my phone. The first thought that reached me was oh shit. The second was to get it, but Flint was already at it. He held the phone in one hand, it ringing, and his eyes held mine. I knew who it was. Who else, other than the people at the base, knew my number? Only one. Flint knew. Jake knew... and I wished they didn’t.

“Don’t,” I hissed, stepping forward. Flint smiled widely, his eyes meeting mine. His hand flipped the phone, his finger pressing speaker. That was the only blessing I could count on, for at least I could hear the conversation, but if I knew Flint at all, I knew he would come up with something.

I began to slowly inch towards him, but Jake’s eyes were locked hard on me.

“Hello?” Flint said, holding the phone far enough away that we could all hear. There was silence for a moment, and I knew that Dane was shocked that it wasn’t my voice he was hearing.

“Uh, hey. Who’s this?” Flint smiled and I shot him the scariest glare I could muster, and it seemed to do the trick, for his smile faltered. I stepped forward, but Jake cut me off, his body now towering over mine. He glanced at Flint and mouthed cousin.

“I’m Andrayka’s cousin.” He didn’t bother trying to be polite, he didn’t bother trying to show courtesy... but had I really thought he would? Dane was silent for a moment before speaking again.

“Is she there?”

“Yes.”

Flint,” I hissed, my voice deathly low. I side stepped, trying to get away from Jake, but he mimicked my movements, his eyes on my face. I wouldn’t meet his eyes, but the guilt was now gone. This was too far. This was cruel. So as usual, my emotions, this time being guilt, turned to anger. The anger boiled and spirted, and I knew my eyes showed it. I knew my body language showed that I was simmering, just waiting to explode on something, or in this case, someone.

“Can I talk to her?” I jumped, but Jake grabbed my arm, twisted, and flung me on the bed. The blankets cushioned the sound of my body being thrown, and I think that was his idea. He was now standing by the bed, his eyes still locked onto mine. I stayed laying down for a second or so, trying to gather myself.

“No.” Flint said, but this time he continued. “What do you do as a living?” I let out a low growl that sounded almost inhuman, but it succeeded in getting a slightly worried look from Flint.

“I own my father’s bars.” Flint smiled widely now. I lunged again, once again not thinking about it. I should have thought it through, I should have analysed Jake’s position, but I didn’t. That was my first mistake, my second was going against Jake.

He caught my body effortlessly, this time slamming me on the floor. The sound wasn’t as loud as it should have be, and I assumed Jake had once again, muffled the noise. How, I didn’t know... and that scared me. My head was now by my bed-stand-table, my side next to the bottom of my bed. My back was prickling, and my arm was once again throbbing. The day was just getting better and better.

I sat up, this time cautiously. I was sick of getting tossed around like a rag doll.

“Isn’t that hard?” Asked Flint, at first I thought he was talking to me, for his eyes were on mine, but when Dane’s voice came through the phone, I knew I was wrong.

“Is what hard?”

“Owning your father’s bars, after what happened to him. Isn’t it horrible how someone could that? Doesn’t it bother you?” I saw where this was going, and I hated it. My heart sped up and I quickly scanned everything around me. Boris seemed to forget he was convicted of the betrayal, but Hunter didn’t. He was standing near the door, a gun hanging from his hand to his side. His eyes were alert, but his body was relaxed.

Flint was on the far side of the room, myself in the middle where my bed was. Jake was standing a few feet away from me, his eyes still locked on mine. I was careful as I stood, I didn’t want to be slammed down anymore, but if I was correct, he was only doing so when I tried to get past. If I didn’t, he wouldn’t throw me, right? I hope so, but there was a good chance I was wrong. If Jake really wanted me out of the way, he would knock me out, but he didn’t. He was relieving some anger while letting Flint have fun, and the fact that it was to my expense was probably because I had lied.

I paced back and forth, the length of my bed. When I started, Jake tensed, he knew I was looking for a way by, but I made no move to jump. Jake, however, never let his eyes leave mine. He also stayed standing still, but his body was ready to pounce. Sometimes I forget he’s an assassin, with skills higher than mine. It’s hard to remember when he treats you like a daughter and helps you through everything, but in times like now... you remember.

“Is Andrayka there or not?” Came Dane’s voice, anger now beginning to show. I didn’t blame him.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to touch a sore spot.” But his voice wasn’t sorry, it was dripping with sarcasm.

“I can understand why she’s so stressed now, being around you all day.” At this I smiled. I hated Flint, and now he did too. It was like we were two peas in a pod. Flint frowned, and Jake watched my expression. “Just give the phone to her, already.” Flint opened his mouth, and that was when I went for him.

Jake had been watching me, and knew that I would try again... but he didn’t expect me to go the opposite way. I needed the leverage for my plan, so I used my bed. Some may call me childish for jumping on my bed, but I can assure you, it had nothing to do with recreational purposes. I used to launch myself in the air, over Jake’s head.

Now, I had learned how to do flips and all actions along that sort of line, when I was little. I was good at it, for the majority of the time. However, using a soft object to jump from is never too smart of an idea, for it absorbs a lot of your momentum. I still managed to flip over Jake, but it wasn’t graceful. In the movies, when someone flips, it’s perfect, down to every last detail... I wish I could say mine was like that, but that would be a lie. I got the flip down for the most part, only it being a little more sloppy than usual, but the landing is what got me. I tucked and untucked too late, so my landing was screwed. I managed to absorb the impact of the land with my shoulder, rolling the process, but that didn’t make it any less embarrassing, and it only made it slightly less painful.

I didn’t wait to dive for Flint. I took his legs out, tumbling both of us to the ground. The cell flew a little ways away, but I ignored it for the time being. I had my gun pointed at Flint immediately, and I was on my feet almost as fast.

Flint was glaring hard at me, but Jake seemed... amused? Yeah, that was it, and it annoyed the hell out of me. I kept my eyes on both of them as I inched for the phone.

“Dane?” I said, picking up the phone. I tried to hide the anger in my voice, but I’m sure it still came out a little hostile.

“What was that sound?” Only me flipping in the air, landing on the ground, and shoving a gun in Flint’s face.

“My cousin didn’t want to give up the phone.” There was silence for a moment before his laughter filled the room. I smiled with him and felt the anger easing out of me like water eases out of a hole. It was calming, soothing. And I loved it.

“I take it you’re not with close with him, then?”

“Of course not.” He laughed again, this one shorter,

“I can see why. My suggestion? Put him down for the count, it’s not like he can hit a girl.” Of course he could, of course he would. But in Dane’s world, men didn’t hit girls. In some ways, that would be benefit me, but who would I spar with for practice?

“I like that suggestion.” I said, smiling. I was sure I looked like an idiot in front of everyone, but I didn’t care. They already knew, nothing could be worse... or so I hoped.

“How about this one? Come out for lunch.”

“I can’t.”

“You said that last night, also.” Fair point.

“I’ll see if I can get out tonight again, how’s that?”

“Great. I was actually going to pay for lunch, but since you bailed, you got dinner.” I laughed. “Call me later, Dray,” with that he hung up. My smile slid from my face, and my body froze. I closed my eyes and did something I hadn’t done since I was little, I wished. I wished for everything to work out, but somehow, I doubted it would.

I could feel all eyes on me. I could feel the emotions mixed in the air, and I was pretty sure I could fell my heart pounding out of my chest. But maybe I was imagining that part, who knew?

I shut the phone and tucked it into my pocket. I lifted my head to find all eyes on mine... with the exception of Hunter who was glancing between myself and Boris.

“Ja-“ I started, but he cut me off, holding a hand up. His face was emotionless, but at least it didn’t hold anger. Though I almost wished it did, at least then I could tell what he was thinking.

“Do what you want with him, Drake. He makes you happy. If you find time for him around everything, fine. But I do ask one thing.” I remained quiet, but I did steal a glance at Flint. He was looking pissed off, and I didn’t blame him. I expected myself to get in deep shit, but I wasn’t... maybe it was because Zane was gone, or maybe I just disappointed him too much. Neither were good thoughts. “Things are hectic, so I ask you to do this once everything with Zane is solved. Tell him. Tell him what you do, why you met, tell him. If you want to be with him, he has the right to know.”