Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Dane

A sigh of pleasure escaped my lips as the jets continued to massage my back in the hot tub. Oh the luxury... even if for only a night. My eyes closed, allowing the news lady on the tv to drawl on about global warming. Sure it was killing people, but so were people, and they were more worried about the world changing to actually catch murderers. No, not myself. I am an assassin, not a murderer, a ASSASSIN. Big difference. Murderers were people who would kill cause they could, cause they could overpower people... because they were maniacal idiots. I was sane, well, I think anyways. Does a sane person know when they’re not sane anymore? Besides the point.

I kill people, yes, but people who deserve it. And I don’t kill anyone younger than eighteen, my own rule there. Zane and Flint would, but that was my rule. I’ll kill woman, I’ll kill men, just not below eighteen and Jake accepts this. But you see, what sets me apart from murderers the most would be the actual reason for the act. I am not a blood thirsty monster, though at times blood does excite me, it gives me a thrill... a jolt of power, but power hunger comes to everyone when in the hands, it’s how you handle it that matters. Anyways, I kill the people who deserve to die. I kill those who kill others or do worse. Such as rape, child molestation, hit for hire, and far worse I’d rather not get into. And yes, I know,an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind but these people would keep going until they got caught, but as you can tell by the news lady, they’re more concerned about global warming that is slowly coming then the actual acts that are occurring on a daily basis.

If I didn’t kill these people, they would keep on doing what they do, and more lives would be hindered. It was one mere sacrifice protecting others. In my eyes, I’m sort of a hero, but I try not to get ahead of myself, I’m nobody special. Most people don’t know my name. And odd enough, I’m okay with that.

"In other news, the owner of many clubs and bars down town has been murdered in his own alley way. His body guards, the few who managed to survive won’t speak to officials saying it would violate the contract between them and their dearly departed boss. Here’s Anna reporting from the ally." The news woman said, snapping me out of my daze. Wow, that was fast. Usually my kills take a day or two to get in the paper, but usually they’re not on the news. Hmm, aren’t I special?

I watched as the setting changed to the ally way where I had recently been. They’d probably find my blood there, but it wouldn’t do any good. They didn’t have my DNA on file, Jake had eliminated all traces of an Andrayka Angiol ever existing. Plus, it’s not like I went out much.

A petite woman came on screen with a microphone in one hand, and a police man standing next to her. I yawned in boredom as they started to talk.

"What happened here is a tragedy." The officer said, he then took of his hat in a sign of respect as he continued. "Whoever had the heart to do this obviously is a cold hearted person. Please, if anyone knows who did this to this wealthy, loved, man, call-" I rolled my eyes as he said the number. Loved man? Not even close. He was the lowest form of scum out there, if only they knew. And my heart wasn’t cold, if it was it would have melted in the hot tub. I let out a small laugh, laughing at my own joke. Yes pathetic, but I thought it was funny. The screen then went back to Anna, the news reporter.

"And here is his son, who would like to say some words. I can not even begin to imagine what he is going through." She stepped aside as the camera turned again, and this time my eyes bulged and I choked on the bubbles. I quickly quieted myself as I listened intently on the man now on the screen. That was his son?!

"If only I could have helped," said the man who had given me a free drink. I mentally hit myself, he had the same accent as the fat man, but why didn’t I see it sooner? And I had given him her name. Oh shit. "I want this murderer brought to justice, for my fathers sake." I had enough of it. I pulled my bruised body out of the hot tub and wrapped a towel around my bikini-ied self. I hated people seeing me in one, but bathing suits were ugly. Once secured, I hurried out of the spa room, I had to find Jake.

I had to tell him everything... he would know what to do. What if that man suspected me already? Sure they wouldn’t find the base... but now I had screwed up again. Damn it!

I hurried through the hallways, ignoring the guys now watching me. Stupid horny perverts. I soon found Jake’s office and burst in, not bothering to knock, but he was used to it by now. Three heads turned to me; Jake, Flint and Zane. I cringed when I saw Flints eyes rake my body. If only I had my gun on me. Jake cleared his throat, obviously uncomfortable.

"Uh, Drake, can I help you?" I glanced at Flint and Zane. There was no way I was explaining everything about the guy in front of them.

"I need to talk to you, alone ." Flint rolled his eyes before turning back to Jake.

"I trust both Flint and Zane whatever you have to say you can say in front of them." I scowled. It’s not that I didn’t trust them, it’s that I didn’t want them to know.

"Jake," I gritted my teeth, preparing for what I was going to say, "please." I can’t believe that word came out of my mouth, but drastic measures calls for drastic times. All jaws dropped, except for Jakes who managed to keep it up. Jake however managed to pull himself together quickly, unlike the other two.

“Flint, Zane... out." Flint snapped around to Jake and was about to protest when Jake cut him off. "We will finish our discussion another time, now out." Both stood up and left without a word, but Flint did shoot me a glare. I rolled my eyes and went and sat down in Zane’s chair. No way was I touching something Flint had touched. "What is it Andrayka?" He usually only said my name when being serious, which he seldom was.

"My kill was on the news." He smiled slightly, and it was then that I actually saw a few wrinkles. I shook the thought out. Jake, old? It was hard to think of him like that. He had been their my whole life

"Congrats, but why the privacy? I’m sure you would love to rub that factor into Flints face." I laughed, that was true. And Jake knew it. I paused, maybe I shouldn’t tell him... but my loyalty got the better of me and I knew I had to do it.

"Jake, I kinda left out a bit about the kill..."

I sat there, feeling Jake’s eyes penetrate me. He hadn’t said a word since I explained everything. How was I suppose to know he was this son?! He finally let out a sight and rubbed his temples before speaking.

"You need to stay away from this man." At this I snapped my diverted his eyes to him.
"I hadn’t planned on seeing him again, Ja-"

"Andrayka," he said in a stern voice. "Don’t be naive. You felt something towards him. But he is the son of one of your victims. Nothing good will come from it. And I know you will deny what I just said, but the confusion you told me about it proves it all." He paused. "Besides the rare select few at the base, you don’t care for anyone. Which is why this is new to you. But Andrayka, you have no need to worry about him knowing your name. One advantage you have is that you’re female. The world is a sex-ist place, they will never suspect you." He paused again and let out a breath. Just as I was about to speak, he cut me off. "But I thank you for confiding in me. Now, leave the... final details to making sure they don’t catch you, to me." He smiled at my confused one. Did he just imply what I think he implied? Before I could say anything, he indicated to the door and began to work on some paper work. That was always how he showed that the meeting was over with.

I let out a annoyed sight before standing and leaving. No point in arguing when he most likely wouldn’t listen.

I shoved my hands in my jeans in annoyance before walking through the crowd. Gosh, how I hated malls. They were the essence of all evil. All the pink, all the frill... all the shopping! If I could I would set every one on fire, but Jake already warned me about becoming a pyro. He said that dealing with an assassin on their period is hard enough, but dealing with an assassin pyro would be killer.

Stupid Jake . It was his fault I was in a mall. He’s the one who said I needed new clothes, that my old ones were out of style. What does it matter if they’re out of style? I think that Flint was the one who actually told Jake to send me to a mall, just to torture me. Oh, but I loved to torture back.

The bags in my hands were beginning to cut off the circulation. How was it that me, an assassin, thought the bags were slightly heavy when I was trained to lift heavy objects, when scrawny preppy girls could handle them better than I could?

I headed towards the food court. I was deathly thirsty, no idea why. Maybe the thought of torturing Flint was making my mouth dry with anticipation... who knew? Just as I turned away from the counter, with my fruit drink, I nearly ran into a man. I mentally cursed for not seeing someone there. But before I could walk away, a hand went on my shoulder. I scowled before looking up, my mouth opened ready to mouth off to whoever it was. But I froze when my eyes met the man I was suppose to stay away from.

He, however, smiled at me. I felt my legs quiver slightly and I wanted nothing more than to beat myself up for feeling like this. I was strong, not weak!

"Hey, Andrayka. I was hoping I’d run into you." Then before I could respond, he grabbed my arm, since my hand were full of bags and a drink, and pulled me over to a table. My feet somehow followed him and when I sat down across from him I realized how wrong it was to be with him. I killed his father, I killed the man who raised him... the man he probably wanted to avenge. I didn’t want to try and act normal about it, hell, I didn’t even want to be around him; I think, anyways...

"I never gave you my name, did I?" He asked, but like at the bar, he continued without waiting for an answer. "Dane." He then paused and surveyed me. I turned my gaze away from him, trying to get the courage to just stand up and walk away. It wasn’t that hard, all I had to do was stand up then take step after step to leave him. So why wasn’t my body listening?

"I should go," I finally said, speaking for the first time. Though I voiced it, my body still didn’t listen, and all it did was make Dane smile more. Damn it! Now we’re on a first name basis.

"Hmm. So she talks? I was beginning to wonder." I felt anger boil up. It’s not like he had given me much time to talk? And why would I talk to him . And how was it that he got me angry over such a little thing? Yet I wasn’t compelled to blow his brains out. His smile grew when he saw my anger, which only aided in my anger
growing.

"I should go," I finally repeated, my eyes narrowed and my voice in a slight hiss, but nothing too deadly compared to what I was capable of. At this, he laughed! He laughed at me again! In public! Either I was going to be the death of him, or he was going to kill me slowly with the way he could act towards me and not make me want to kill him. I was furious, I was boiling in anger, yet part of me wanted to laugh too.

"But you’re not going to, are you?" He said. And then he did it again. He spoke before I could answer, he had a nasty habit of doing it. But then again my habit was nastier; killing. "There’s a big difference in saying and doing. But now that that’s settled, want to go see a movie?" I glared at him, causing a small chuckle to come from him. What would Jake say? I scowled. I wasn’t even suppose to be with him, yet here I was.

"I have to get home," I finally said slowly. "But... thanks?" I wasn’t use to thanking someone. But he smiled nonetheless.

"I can take the hint," and yet his smile didn’t falter. "But here, here’s my number. Call my if you change your mind." He quickly scribbled something down before pushing it in my hand. Warmth shot through me and I had to use all will power not to gasp. He then stood up and smiled. He gave a small wink before speaking. "Talk to you later." He left, leaving me glaring at his back, my mouth agape. He assumed that I would call him?!