Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Too well

I pulled my hair back, tying it tightly. I slipped on my hit clothes, making sure they were snug with no rips. I armed myself with the usual; three guns and five knives. I slipped the cars keys in my pocket, grabbed my cell and stared at the door. I was ready.

Or I would have been, if I had a plan. As it was, I was still thinking it through. Not good... when already half an hour had went by. But I figured if I was ready to go, all I would have to do was set it up, then go; before I got the chance to chicken out and back down, that is.

I needed something that would... that would... hell, I don’t know. I just wanted Zane back, all of us alive, and Jake to stop acting all pissy. That’s what I wanted, and if there was a way to go boom, and make that all happen, I would be thrilled.

Boom. Huh. Boom. My mind began to spin a thousand miles an hour, thoughts, images, places, contacts causalities, all running through it. My eyes shut, envisioning it, seeing it... and weighing the options.

There were so many things that could go wrong with this scenario... but would it be worse than being sent away? That was the award winning question, and the one that answered itself. I wouldn’t be sent away.

I pulled out my cell, dialling a number I knew by heart but had never personally used. But when someone gives you a number, you remember, even if you don’t think you’ll ever use it. For when the time comes, you may find you do need it.

It rang twice before his voice rang through.

“Yes?”

“Isaiah, it’s Drake. I need a favour.” Four of the most painful words I ever uttered.

Planning, setting up, getting ready, that should have been the hard part. Leaving should be the easy part, theoretically speaking. It’s how it usually was and how I wish it still was. But it wasn’t, and why? Because the creeps who killed my family were once again out to ruin my life. But it was different now. I was no longer three.

My family was dead. I never knew them, and never will. I’ll never know if my father was a kind hearted soul... or a drunk, abusive man. I won’t know whether my mom was a quiet woman who stayed in the background, or was like me; loud and out-there. I’ll never know if I had any siblings, or pets. Whether I was spoiled, or even loved. I’ll never know, and that’s what kills me.

Lincoln and Dalton didn’t just take away my family, they took away my knowledge. And I hate myself for letting it happen. There was nothing I could have done, I know that, I was three. But I was the one that made it out, not them. And some days, even if I never admitted it, it killed me.

I struggled for breath while my vision blurred with anguish, my eyes staring at the door. I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t want to go out this way. But Jake wouldn’t understand. Even I didn’t. And if I told Jake I was going to meet up with Lincoln... he’d hog-tie me himself, and I knew that for a fact.

One last deep breath, and I pushed open the doors.

Two men were there. Each turned to me.

“Back in the room, orders from Ja-“ I didn’t want to do lasting damage, so I didn’t use weapons. Jake needed as many men as he could have, and doing even this was making the guilt rack up.

I leapt, my hands going to his head, and smashed down, while my body’s momentum was also going down. The force made sure he was out within in an instant, in which time I dodged the other man’s swing, and rolled.

I like fighting, and give me a chance to out show the men at the base, and I’ll jump to it. But not now. I wanted them left for Jake in one piece. And I wanted to cause as little damage as possible... for deep down, this was my home. And it always would be.

So, swallowing my pride, I turned and ran.

He pursued, of course. But I was faster. I was always faster.

He, however, proved to be louder.

I reached the stairs, and took them three at a time. I needed to get out, and fast. Before Jake came at me, for I didn’t know if I could handle that. A man I only knew from sight, began to ascend the stairs, as other men began to enter the room below. This was a no-brainer move, too. And lucky for him, he got no pain.

He was only five steps away from the ground, and when I got within three stairs of him, I launched. The leverage the stairs gave me allowed me to sail over him. My body immediately curled into a ball, compacting as tight as it could. My shoulder struck the ground, and I used my built up momentum to roll out of it, with enough momentum left over that I got a push start in my run. I staggered momentarily, but was up and going with practically no hitch.

Now there were more people. I dodged most, but had to shove a few. It was a given. My body angled and swivelled whenever and wherever it could. I ducked and slid, as often as I could get away with it, and soon I was in the home stretch. Well, for the door anyways. Outside was anyone’s game, depending on whether Jake had set up patrol yet for the night.

I should have seen it, but the sight of the door had sent a zing of hope through me. Which was why I was completely blind sighted to the ground as Flint hit me from behind, between the shoulder blades.

We both fell and slid, his body landing on top of mine. I quickly fought for the upper hand, my body twisting and my legs bucking. He got a hold of me legs quickly, but not my hands.

I slammed my fist into his face before hitting him in the gut. It was an awkward position to do so, but judging from the sharp gasp, I managed. With his sudden shock, I twisted my legs and kicked. I got another gasp, and I shoved him off. This time, when I rose, it was me who was met with a gun. And what did I do? I laughed. Flint couldn’t shoot me, I saw that in his eyes. I struck out, missing, but earning some space. I backed up, my eyes quickly scanning the area. I needed to get out, and I needed out now.

Lamps. Lights. Pictures. People. Door. Many things... but how many could I use them to my advantage? My mind switched to assassin mode, analysing each one, and the risk and benefits of them all.

“Enough!” My head snapped to the side, my eyes locked on the target of the voice. Flint did the same thing, as did everyone else in the room. Jake stood, his face rigid, his lips tight and his eyes furious. “Andrayka! Don’t you dare make me order you to your room again.” This would be the time a smart person would do as he wanted, and lower their head in submission. Then a smart person would be quiet all night, and make it up to him in the morning. Flint always said I wasn’t smart.

I backed up, my eyes locked onto him. No one moved. For all eyes were on Jake, and all the owners of the eyes were terrified. I didn’t blame them, even I was frightened, even if I wasn’t letting it off.

“I mean it,” he hissed, his voice low and full of threat. I met his eyes, and flinched. They were full of rage and fury. But they were also full of fear and confusion. Jake didn’t know what to do. I guess it was a good thing I was acting for him, then. Even if he didn’t know it.

“I’m sorry, Jake.” I said. And before he could respond, I whipped out my gun. I knew my target, so as soon as I had it out, I shot. The bullet flew through the air, letting out a small whistle sound as it went. It took less than half a second before it made target, and when it did, chaos erupted.

The bullet hit head onto the main light, sending sparks and darkness around the whole room. Glass fell, light bulbs fell, and people dived. And while people were avoiding the crushing mess, I got out of there, fully aware of Jake’s eyes on me the whole time. He had been the one to train me, and I’m sure he was thinking he trained me too well. Way too well.
♠ ♠ ♠
My mistake! In the last chapter I miss-spelled Lincoln. Sorry!