Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

Soon

I told Jake. He reluctantly let me go, seeming to see that I needed this. I needed something to lift my spirts, because frankly, my spirits were crushed and drowning in the ocean right now. I felt so broken, something I had never experienced. I just wanted to curl in a ball, close my eyes, and wait for Zane to come to me. Even though I knew it would never happen that way, part of me just wanted to try. Maybe this was one whole big bad dream, and I’d wake up, having fallen asleep during one of Zane’s ridiculous movie nights.

He tried to have them every week, but soon realized that subjecting me and Flint to an after-hours event every week, was a dangerous thing. So he opted to random. He’d make popcorn, buy cookies, get us some alcoholic beverages, something we all usually stayed away from, and set up a movie. We’d set up a small tv in the gym and we’d sit on the matts, all against one wall. Zane was always in the middle, and he’s always make us try and get along. Usually he was the only one who fell asleep, for he always made us watch a set. Like all the Harry Potter’s, or the Lord of the Ring’s. And right now, I’d give anything to find myself falling asleep on his shoulder.

I drove along the roads, ignoring the honks of protest I got from many disgruntled drivers. I don’t think it was possible that I could care any less. But I’m sure I could find a way to do so.

One of the bar’s Dane now owned was downtown, and that was where we agreed to meet. I pulled up in the driveway, noticing that it was already packed. It was only beginning to get dark, which went to show how popular this place was.

I got out, and limped to the vehicle I recognized. Once there, I leant against it, gathering my bearings. My eyes scanned the area automatically, even if my heart wasn’t in it.

Vehicles. Drunk people stumbling. Men shooting up in the alley. Prostitutes looking for a quick buck. All in all, normal.

“What happened?” I snapped my eyes to the sound of the voice; Dane. He stood frozen, his eyes on me. If I thought the looks he gave me in the restaurant were bad, I was wrong. These were worse. There was fear and anger in his eyes, so much I found it shocking.

“Bad week.” Was all I said, but my voice wasn’t into it. He approached slowly, as if he thought I might shatter and slip away from me. When he reached me, his hand went tentatively to my face, cupping my bruises. His thumb gently caressed my split lip, and his eyes showed anger.

“Who-“ he hissed, his eyes flashing.

“Doesn’t matter,” I murmured, leaning my weight against him, taking it off my ankle. He took notice to it, at that point.

“You shouldn’t be on your feet.” I didn’t argue with him, and as he led me to his car, I only hesitated slightly, glancing at my own. He followed my gaze, before pressing his hand to the base of my back.

“I’ll bring you back for it,” I nodded and climbed in; slowly. He did the gentleman thing and waited to close my door, before walking around to the other side.

My eyes shut as I turned to the window. While Dane relaxed me and calmed me, while he made me feel like I was actually someone, I couldn’t hide the fear in me. Fear of losing him, fear of him hating me and just fear of losing this feeling. Jake was right.

He started his car, and the sound of the engine seemed to sooth some of my nerves. He turned down the radio before pulling out. Some part of my mind screamed at me, trying to get me to take in my surroundings. I didn’t. I just couldn’t. Strangely enough, I trusted Dane.

“Hungry?” Was I? When was the last time I ate? Upon seeing my confusion, he frowned, his hand reaching out for mine. I let him hold it, allowing the warmth to seep through to me and warm its way into my veins. I let out a small sigh and relaxed back in the chair. He was watching me, but I didn’t point it out to him. Even if he should have been watching the road.

“You need rest.”

“Probably.” I said, breaking my silence. He smiled slightly, but it was only a half smile.

“I’ll make you some food, and then you can rest. Do you have to be anywhere?” No. Upon telling Jake, he merely insisted on leaving my cell phones GPS on and my cars. I was just surprised he let me out, with the hit on my head and Dalton most likely out for revenge. My thought? Trying to remedy his actions of lying to me. That, and I was sure I saw a tail. I didn’t bother looking for it now, however, for honestly? I was sick of thinking of it. I just wanted to think of Dane.

“Where are we going?”

“My apartment.”A small tingling feeling filled me at that thought, but I downed it. Nothing would happen. For it couldn’t, not until I told him the truth. That, however, would have to wait ‘till after everything was settled. If it ever settled.

Dane’s apartment was fairly large, and in a nice part of the city. If that was possible Despite the location, you could still look down an alley and see someone shooting up. But then, when couldn’t you? It was a sad day that you couldn’t walk down an alley without finding a needle.

The place was carpeted with a dark brown hue, soft under the feet. It was on the first floor, so luckily, no stairs. The walls were white. Not an off white, but a pure, hospital colour, white. He had two leather couches, two single chairs and a dining room table that had four chairs. Other than that he had a tv, stereo, and I assumed a bed. No pictures. No artifacts, and nothing that could identify this as his home. It was... blank. Which surprised me, since Dane was such a happy-go-lucky guy.

“Sit.” He said, leading me over to the couch. His hand rested on the small of my back as he helped me over, and I wish I could have stopped the heat that leaked off from him, but I couldn’t. It melted some of the stress away, and when he went to push me down, I turned, meeting his eyes head on.

They stared deeply into mine, begging, pleading, to tell him what happened. He knew I wouldn’t, though. It was written in his eyes, and I felt a surge of guilt. How would I even begin to tell him what had happened? I just couldn’t.

His hand moved slowly to my face, cupping it so gently. I shut my eyes, leaning into it. My heart was beating erratically, and I felt my body ease towards his. His other arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer, and closer... so close, that I could feel the heat radiating off of him; that I could feel the passion his body was holding. My eye lids fluttered and my lips quivered.

His lips were there to meet them. Even with a split lip, I found kissing Dane one of the most enjoyable experiences I ever had. At first it stung, but soon, with the swirling in my mind, it disappeared.

His hand travelled the length of my back, leaving a trail of warmth where it went. His lips pressed harder against mine, his tongue dancing in between my mouth. His hand cupping my cheek slid down my neck slowly, sending small shivers down my spine. My heart continued to beat erratically, my mind too numb to think.

His arms gently lowered my body to his couch, his covering mine like a blanket. And I let him. He pressed down against me, and my body screamed. Not in pain either, I couldn’t even feel it, my mind was so distracted. Warmth spread through me, pooling in areas, whereas other areas felt cold. They yearned for his touch, and when his hand would brush over a place of bare flesh, it would jump alive. Wanting more. Needing more.

I found my body arching towards his, needing to feel his flesh on mine. Just needing to be with him, to be with something solid and real. For this was all I had left in my life, and even though I knew it wouldn’t last, for it couldn’t with what I had done, I couldn’t bring myself to stop it. The heat waving through me, the pleasure I was feeling, the happiness I felt, they just... they just fixed everything. It made everything so distant.

He tugged on my jeans, and I felt my breath whoosh out, what little was left. His tongue continued exploring my mouth, and I felt as if I was going to hyperventilate. His other hand was still on my back, but someone, in sometime I didn’t even notice, it had made its way under my shirt, so it rested on the bare flesh. Goose bumps spread around it, even with the heat that was coming with the movements he was making.

My insides turned to liquid fire, the need in me burning. I kissed him harder, and he returned the favour, his body pressing down even harder, his hand pressing down into my jea-

His head snapped up, as what I assumed was the doorbell, rang. His eyes were round, his face a little shiny from perspiration, and his lips parted, his chest heaving. I’m sure I mirrored his look. He let out a curse, glancing at the door and then to me. He was about to lower back down, which made my stomach flutter, when the doorbell went off again. And again. He cursed again, and pulled himself off the couch with yet another curse.

I watched him walk away, regret and shame filling me. What had I been thinking? I killed his father. I shouldn’t have let it get that far, but he made me feel so cared for. With everything that just happened, that meant a lot to me. Which made more shame fill me, was I just using him? For my own personal gain? I glanced back at him. No. I feel more for him than that. I just wished I didn’t.

He peeked through the small hole before letting out sigh, which I was sure held a curse in it. He yanked open the door, and all I saw was red before the figure closed the door behind him.

The red, in question, was the mans hair. In a mohawk. I blinked a couple times before sitting up, propping myself up against the back of the chair. The couch was... too comfy. I sank in it, and I could already imagine my muscles protesting in the act of getting up.

The man had an angular face, but round cheeks. His eyes were a dark brown which were dancing merrily and his lips were fairly thin, but not to the point of making him look like a creep. He had a dark pullover on, with some band name one, and jeans. He was smiling at Dane, and hadn’t seemed to notice me yet. Which I suppose was for the best.

“But I need a place for the night, so?” He asked, Dane was staring at the man with an emotionless look, which was odd for him. The man seemed to think so too, because he waved a hand in front of his face. “Earth to Dane? Can I, or can I not,” he turned into the apartment, his sentence trailing short as he spotted me. “Oh.” He glanced back at Dane, and then to me. To my utter surprise, he actually made his way over to me, a grin plastered on his face.

“You must be Dray?” Funny. Dane can call me that, but anyone else, seems to go on my kill list. I gave a small nod, and he gave me a once over. I gritted my teeth and endured it, as Dane made his way over.

“Never knew you to be abusive,” the man said, turning to Dane, who shot him a glare. Dane flopped his body down next to mine, his arm going around my shoulders almost in a possessive nature. I leant into him, but kept my eyes on the stranger.

“I’m not. Make yourself useful, Kaz, and make some food.” Kaz? Figures, goes with the hair.

“You want me to cook?” He asked, raising an eyebrow. Dane hesitated for a second, before pulling out his wallet.

“Pick us up some pizza.” He grinned. “I want change back!” Dane called, as Kaz left, in such a springy walk I almost thought it was a skip. Once the door closed behind him, Dane let out a long sigh and rested his head on mine. I let him, snuggling deeper into his chest. He didn’t have the heat he had earlier, but my body was still pumping, and just being against him filled me with tingles.

“Sorry ‘bout that,” he murmured into my hair, his hand stroking my cheek. “He pops in sometimes.” He hesitated before hitting me on my arm, albeit very lightly. I lifted my head to look at him, and he lifted his smiling. “What was with that? You’re injured, you should have stopped me.” I didn’t respond, just went back to leaning against his chest. “I’ve never met a blonde who was so quiet.”

“And how many blondes have you met?” His hand stopped stroking my cheek as he froze, and I could almost hear the wheels in his head turning.

“A few, but none as-“

”Save it.” He chuckled at the humour in my voice, leaning his head back on top of mine. I felt my eyes close again and a long breath escape me. He was silent for a moment, but that seemed hard for him.

“Are you ever going to tell me?” His voice was soft, not harsh or demanding, but I felt the undercurrent of those emotions. He was holding back well, but that didn’t stop me from feeling them. I felt my stomach clench, I didn’t want to, but I knew I would. Just not yet.

“When this is all over.”

“When do you suppose that will be?” I responded with the truth.

“Soon, hopefully.”