Sequel: Ascension

Till Deceived Do We Part

No go

I parked the car and got out, walking towards the base mindlessly. Last night had flown by fast. Too fast for my liking, but I was meeting him again tomorrow night. It was currently one o’clock in the afternoon, hopefully Jake didn’t notice me missing.

After our little fun in the park, we walked to a gas station and bought a few sleeping bags. I didn’t even know gas station had sleeping bags, Dane had laughed at me when I voiced that. After getting them, we went back to the park and spent the night. It may not have been the most romantic thing, but it was a nice experience. We talked about random things, never staying on one topic too much. And seeing as how I didn’t tell him about myself, he didn’t tell me about himself. I was fine not knowing... for now.

After talking for hours, I ended up dozing off. I woke to the sun shining in my face and Dane snoring. So after waking him, not politely, but when am I polite? He took me to breakfast like he had planned. Then we split, after making plans to meet tomorrow.

“Some one stayed out all night.” Came Flints voice. I took a deep calming breath, now was not the time. I was happy, I was giddy, I didn’t need Flint screwing it up. But Flint wasn’t something you could just flick away. But wouldn’t that be cool if you could, he would be like a bug. A bug which I would raid repeatedly, a bug I’d love to watch legs twitch. Or if he was like a slug, I’d love to watch his reaction to salt. I felt my lips twitch in a smile before I turned to face him. He was shirtless, ah my virgin eyes, and sweaty. He obviously had just went for a run.

He pushed past me, since I wasn’t sticking my hand on the scanner, and did it himself. Once in, I followed not bothering to wait to do it myself. But as soon as the door closed behind me, Flint turned, almost trapping me in.

“So who were you with?” I gave him an idiotic look, which was practically all real.

“I wasn’t out with anyone, idiot.” I paused and pushed by him, only briefly glancing back at him. “I had one too many drinks, spent the night in my car.” I called behind my shoulder before heading to the stairs to head up to my room.

I heard Flint scoff. He wasn’t easy to fool, which led to my beating heart. He was smart, much to my dismay and surprise, and would always figure out everything. He’d make a great detective if he didn’t have a need for blood and death. I had only managed to trick Flint once, but granted, he had drank five shots of whisky and a twelve pack of beer. So I didn’t count that, but I always thought that if I really wanted to I could fool him.

He suddenly appeared in front of me, making me take a step back. I glared at him and he frowned slightly but said nothing. No one liked my glares, they could freeze you over. I actually made a little kid cry one time from it, but I wasn’t proud of that... okay, I wasn’t too proud of that.

“Really?” Said Flint, referring to the drinking thing. “If that was true, you could have called for a ride. And if you had some reason for not wanting to call, then you wouldn’t be so awake. Your eyes would be red for drinking so much you couldn’t drive. You’d be squinting in the sun light, and you wouldn’t smell like...” he paused and leaned forward. “Like bacon.” He stood back, a satisfied look on his face while my face showed complete shock. Even though I should have known that was coming, it was still a shock.

But I was actually afraid. I had never defied Jake, and I didn’t want to find out if I did. He was, after all, head of an assassin company.

“Get a life Flint,” I finally said, keeping my voice as steady as possible. “First of all, who would I go out with? And secondly, who would go out with me?” Flint shrugged and leaned back against the banister to the stairs. I had been so close, so close to avoiding all of this.

“Many people would go out with you, you’re attractive.” At this I choked, did Flint just give me a compliment? Before I could say anything, he spoke. Lately guys had been having a tendency of speaking before I could. “Though they’d have to get over your attitude and personality problems.” My face fell. Of course. Why would I expect anything less from Flint? “So, who were you with?” I frowned. This wasn’t fair, if only I could do a trade off. Get information for giving information, granted my information wouldn’t be one hundred percent true, but hopefully he wouldn’t figure that out.

“What were you, Zane and Jake talking about a couple days ago?” Flint scowled, he caught on. Trade for trade. I figured he’d catch on.

“No go?” He asked. I knew what he meant. I didn’t answer his question, and he didn’t answer mine. Which meant that I wasn’t suppose to know what they were talking about, which scared me. I was in the top category with them, so why couldn’t I know? Had I dropped? Did Jake think me as incapable?

“Fine.” I finally said. He nodded before pushing himself off. He then advanced me and stopped when he was towering over me. I cursed my small height, but I didn’t back up. That would be showing submission. No way I’d show submission to him.

“Don’t stay out again, Drake, or I will tell Jake. This is a warning...” he then leaned closer, surprising me. What was he going to do? I tried to ease my nerves and remain calm. It was Flint. “And remember,” he breathed, “I find out everything.” Then he did something I didn’t expect... and no, he didn’t kiss me. Not even close. He put his hand on his chest, his sweaty chest, then to my face, wiping sweat all over my cheek. My jaw dropped open in shock, and then disgust from my girly side.

I swung my fist but he had already laughed and ran off. Stupid...

I took a deep calming breath, keeping my profanities to myself. I finally let out my anger by punching the wall, my fist making a huge hole. A voice then spoke behind me, causing me to turn, my fist still in the wall.

“What ever happened to making holes in the comfort of your own room?” Jake said, his voice full of humour. I quickly put a small smile on my face, hiding my surprise. Had he been there the whole time? No, he would have stepped in.

Shit, I hate lying to Jake. Well, technically I’m not lying, but I still hate deceiving him. He was the one who watched me grow up, who protected me and taught me everything I know. He was like a father to me. He was like a close friend, correction, he is a close friend.

“So, what got on your nerves this time?” His voice made me look back up at him. I pulled out my fist and wiped off the dry wall dust before facing him. He looked so cheerful.

“Flint.” I said, which was the truth. Jake laughed, a knowing smile on his face. Me and Flint always fought, it was a common thing. Seriously, put us in a room with a couple guns, or daggers... or even nothing but our fists, then one of us would end up bloody. Sometimes both.

“Of course. Why don’t you go change and meet me back in the main room in five.” He walked off while I nodded. Curiosity got the best of me and I ran up the stairs, wondering what Jake wanted me for.

I threw open the doors and walked in. I now wore jeans and a black tank, nothing special. Jake, Flint and Zane were all there. Along with Boris, a middle aged assassin who worked for another company but occasionally stopped by here. The other company was an ally, not an enemy, so from time to time, we helped each other out. He also had a few men sitting around him, all whom I didn’t know. But all were quite attractive; once again, damn these girl hormones.

There were three of them, excluding Boris. Boris wasn’t a bulky man, but wasn’t a small man. He had muscle, and a lot of it. He had his head shaved and hazel eyes.

The first guys sitting next to him had blonde hair. It was short and his eyes looked like a light hazel, so light almost orange. He also had a stunning smile... not that I noticed.

The next one had his hair in a buz cut. But his eyes were a brilliant green, sticking out magnificently.

Last but not last, was the guy sitting across from them. He had spiked up black hair with... red eyes. I frowned slightly, but I quickly discovered that they were contacts. Kinda scary, but a turn on nonetheless.

Jake smiled at me and Boris gave a small head bow showing respect. I wasn’t going to return it until Jake shot me a look. I let out a deep sigh and did it back before throwing my body down by Zane.

Boris and I didn’t get along. The first time he saw me he tried to rape me. Needless to say, it didn’t end how he planned. He now had a permanent scar on his left rib cage and a slight crooked nose. Sure the bruises heal, but I’m sure his groin will hurt every time he remembers how hard I kicked him. I was only fourteen when that happened, so the fact he got beat by a fourteen year old girl will always haunt his ego.

“Drake, this is Remington, or Remmy,” he said pointing to the blonde. “That is Vachel,” he said indicating to Mr. Buzcut. “And lastly, that’s Hunter.” The contact guy. “And guys, this is Andrayka. Also know as Drake and Dray. But Dray is kinda of a death wish sentence.” I glared at the mention of that nickname, shooting it at Flint. Flint looked away but said nothing.

“Is this about what you guys were discussing the other day? What you wouldn’t tell me?” I said shooting Flint a look. Once again he merely looked away. Jake then turned to me, a small frown on his face.

“No.” He said shortly, causing me to frown. Then what? And why couldn’t I know? Obviously I was still in the top since I was here now. I pushed it past my mind, now wasn’t the time to wonder about that. Something was going on. Why was Boris here? And why were three of his men here? Something was up. Either it was bad, or they just wanted our help.

Probably a bit of both. Hopefully nothing serious.

“So, Drake,” came a voice. I snapped my head up, my hair flinging behind my head and stared at Hunter. He was the direction the voice came from, so I was guessing it was him. And when no one commented on me looking at the wrong guy, I was sure I was right. “I’ve heard a lot about you.” I didn’t comment on that. “A top girl? I had to see it for myself.” He then looked me up and down, tempting me to shoot him in the temple right there. “I still have my doubts though.” I let my fists clench and ignored the glance from Zane.

“Would a bullet to your head diminish your doubts?” I hissed. At this Boris laughed, along with Jake. They then mumbled something about temper, but I ignored it. Hunter was still staring at me, as if determining whether I was joking or not.

“Guns are easy to work. Takes talent to do anything else.” He finally said. Snap. I launched, my little bit of self restrain snapping. But before I could even dig my fist into his jaw, Flint had jumped up and grabbed me around the waist. He shoved me in the opposite direction and glared at me, taking a fighting stance. I mimicked, only lower.

“Now is not the time for this, Dray,” he hissed. “Cool your temper or get out.” I scoffed, he didn’t have the right to tell me to leave. He was only second in command, and unless Jake told me to leave, I wasn’t leaving.

“Would you turn down a challenge, Flint?” I asked, venomously. “If I said you were a stupid idiot who couldn’t kill worth nothing, you’d beat my brains out. Now don’t be a hypocrite. He challenged me, and for the first time, I can say I didn’t start it.” Flint seemed to un-tense slightly as he stared at me. I stood up straight, showing him that I didn’t wish to fight him... which was another first. But I wanted nothing more than to beat Hunter.

“If you want to show him you’re worthy, or just beat the living daylights out of him, wait till we’re through. Go to the sparing room.” Before I could speak, he continued. Stupid males. “As much as I hate to say this, you make a point about what you said. But now we have important stuff to discuss, so everyone being conscious might help.” I rolled my eyes before pushing by him and sitting down by Zane who shot me a small smile. It actually helped calm me slightly, Zane can be my hero at times.

I then took a glance at Jake who was frowning deeply at me. I looked away, ignoring the look. I didn’t like Jake being mad or disappointed in me, like he would be if I knew where I was last night.

Boris then mumbled something to Jake, out of my hearing. Flint was frowning now, probably not like being kept in the dark. Couldn’t blame him. He got on my nerves a lot... but we worked in the same place. When needed, we made a great team. We knew when to put our differences aside and work together. Sure we always went right back to where we were, but that was who we were.

“So what’s going on?” I finally blurted out, speaking most of our thoughts. Jake and Boris then turned to me, Jake’s face blank and Boris frowning.

“This is exactly why we shouldn’t have brought her into this. Females have too many emotions, they can’t take a blow. She could have caused serious damage to Hunte-“ Hunter let out a disgruntled sound, but Boris continued. “Jake, are you sure about her being here?” Jake opened his mouth, but this time I beat him.

“Females can’t take a blow?!” I said, anger running through my voice. “Coming from the guy who stills holds a grudge that I kicked your ass when I was fourteen. Get a life.” At this, all three men snapped around to face him. Oops, did they not know that? Silly me, I guess that would make him seem like a lesser leader... my bad. Oh wait? I don’t care. Go me.

His face turned red with anger as he glared at me, his fists clenched. As his mouth opened, the silence ready to be exploded with his voice, Jake held up a hand. Everyone turned to him and Boris’s mouth closed. Jake rarely asked for quiet, and when he did, then we usually followed. Even Boris knew to obey Jake.

“Enough.” He finally said, his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose. “Drake, keep your mouth closed and behave.” At this my anger boiled and it took all my will to not snap at him. Instead I shot him my coldest glare and then turned my eyes to the ground. They all started it, I was just retaliating... yet I was the one who got the blame. Stupid males, always the females fault. “Let’s just get on topic, and Boris, who I find capable of this is my choice. Same goes for you, Hunter. You both are in my place and will follow what I say. And if you think she isn’t capable, what’s the problem? She’ll just get killed and save you all the grief with dealing with her. So let it go.” Both nodded and bowed their heads slightly, showing submission.

I was kinda glad I went out with Dane now. Sneaking around behind Jake, and disobeying his orders were like payback. He tells me to keep my mouth shut. He should know by now that you never tell a girl to keep their mouth shut. Main rule.

“Now, if anyone says anything that does not have to do with what we are about to discuss, they are out of here. No exceptions,” he said shooting me a look. I shot him another glare, then put a hand over my mouth, indicating I wasn’t going to say anything. He frowned, obviously upset about my attitude, but I didn’t care. Let him sit in agony knowing he upset me. Hmm, does that make me cynical? Well, I guess killing made me that.

“May I start it off?” Came Flint’s voice. I looked at him. He already knew? Obviously, he was in second command. So did Zane know?

I leaned over to him and he glanced in my direction, his eyes sparkling. Always so happy, I wish I could be that happy.

“Do you know what’s going on?” I asked in a quiet voice, so not to upset Jake. This was about it, so he couldn’t get mad. Well he could, but he would have no right. And I’m sure he didn’t want to get farther on my bad side. But then again, I didn’t want to get on his bad side either. I’ve seen his bad side. Scarier than mine.

“No. I’m as in the dark as you... and hang in there.” He added quieter, obviously indicating to all the blows I was receiving. I shot him a small smile, earning some weird looks to me. What? I may not smile too often, but I did occasionally. Zane could always get me to smile. He was nice to me... nicer than Jake at times.

I sat back to my spot and turned to Flint who seemed to be waiting for everyone’s attention. He shot me a glare so I stuck out my tongue. Sure childish, but I was in a better mood now that I knew Zane didn’t side with them. Flint scowled but said nothing, and when Jake said nothing, I knew I was fine. I had never worried about Jake kicking me about before, and I hated now worrying about it. It was unfair.

“All of us, excluding Jake and Boris have been assigned a mission. It has to do with both agencies. So we will work together, and all disputes,” he glanced at me and Hunter, “will not be brought out on the field. Got it?” I rolled my eyes and nodded. Hunter also nodded, somewhat grudgingly. He only did after receiving a look from Boris. “Good. Now, I will be in charge while out there, but Boris will be in charge back here. Myself, Zane and Drake will have to listen to Boris along with Jake, and vice versa goes for you guys.” I scowled, I was not listening to Boris. Jake seemed to sense my oncoming outburst so he spoke.

“We will discuss your issues with Boris later, for now listen. I want you in this.” I frowned but didn’t send him a glare. He wanted me here, that calmed my anger towards him slightly, but not completely. It took more than one bucket of water to put out a fire, so one somewhat nice thing wouldn’t calm my rage.