Status: I'l try to get updates done reasonably

Castlyn

01

I remember as a child sitting in my mother's lap as she told me stories of a handsome knight who loved her and died honorably in battle, my father. I also remember two years ago, on the eve on my eighteenth birthday, the mystic view of my father being shattered as I found out who he really was. My father was a coward who got my mother with child before telling her to leave the kingdom, her family, and her life so she didn't shame him. My father is a coward, my father was the king of Kilborn, and I hate him with all of my being. That's why the words of the High Priestess make my gut feel as if it were made of stone. I stopped packing my travel bag and thought back to the time I spent with the High Priestess.

"Why did you come to ask me if you could teach me? I am very honored, my lady, but-"

"But, you don't feel as if you deserve such an honor." I blushed and nodded as the kind woman had guessed my thoughts. "There have been many prophecies told about you, daughter of Kaston and sorceress of great magic."

I stared at her in wonder as she started to speak again. "But, my dear Castlyn, there are many evils that will tempt you. If you wish to become the greatest sorceress and a force of good then you must let go of all the hate you have; that includes the hate for king Kaston."

My jaw dropped. How could she expect me to do that? "My dear," she spoke up once more, "maybe you need a shove in the right direction."

She beckoned for me to follow and walked off. I followed her into the temple and down a flight of stairs, almost bumping into her as she stopped before a huge wooden door that I could barely make out of the shadows that were cast eerily from torches. "Now walk into this room and there is a mirror, a magic mirror, and inside there will be an image of you but, it's not the present you, it is what you will be if you fall into darkness."

I gulped as she pushed the door aside and walked into the dark stone room. I looked around the circular room, which barley any light filtered into, surprised that it wasn't damp in the dungeon like room. The mirror was the only object in the room, which was magnificent, made of wrought iron that surrounded the full length mirror in a Celtic design. Slowly I approached the mirror and saw a reflection of me, well a version of me. My, her, blue-black hair fell in wild waves to her waist as her charcoal lined eyes bore into mine, a wicked grin plastered on her blood red lips. She looked like a harlot with heavy charcoal around her eyes and a tight, form-fitted, black dress that showed off a generous amount of cleavage and had a slit that ran up to her right hip.

My voice coming from her lips startled me out of my examination of her scantily clad body. "Look at me, so young, so innocent. My dear, I can’t wait ‘til ye turn dark. Ye can rule all the kingdoms, all it will take is killing old Kaston.” She grinned wide, her white teeth gleaming in the dark.

"I won't kill him. Even if I do hate him I'm no killer."

She looked at me with deep amusement, as if I were trying to win a battle that had already been lost. "My dear, sweet, innocent Castlyn, what do you think I am? I'm a killer and I'm you, I know you're most personal thoughts and I know what you're capable of. You may not think you are, but you are a killer and you will love the thrill of it. Seeing the life leave your father's body will be the most exciting thing you ever pleasure." Towards the end her voice got raspy and she looked at me half dazed.

I gulped past the lump in my throat, my stomach churning. "NO!" I shouted. "Shut up, I am not a killer," I spoke before running away much like a small frightened child would.

As I ran her taunting voice echoed in the room after me. “You shall kill him, and you will turn evil.”


Shaking my head I tried to get the images of myself out of my mind, while closing my bag before walking out of my room. My mom was waiting for me in the kitchen with Burt, her husband, and I quickly enveloped her in a bone crushing hug. Breathing in, I smelt the all too familiar scent of vanilla and burning wood, from the fire place, that I associated with my mother. “I’m going to miss you mom, but I’ll be back before you know it.”

I pulled back slightly, but still kept her in my arms, and looked at the woman who had raised me. We looked a lot alike from our milky white skin, ruby red lips, and bright emerald green eyes. But, her body was willow thin while mine was a little curvier with lean muscle from training, and her hair was a honey blonde while mine fell in blue-black waves to my mid-back. Even with our subtle differences you could still tell we were mother and daughter by the way we carried ourselves and our little quirks, like the way we smiled on one side of our mouths fist, the way our nose crinkled up when we laughed, and the way we could stop a grown man in his steps with just a single glare.

I hugged Burt and said goodbye before I stepped away and abruptly turned to head towards the door. As my hand reached the door knob I heard the bedroom door open. "Mama? Daddy? Where's Castlyn going?"

Turning my head I saw my half sister, Holly, rubbing her eyes sleepily as she clung to a worn teddy bear that used to be mine. I smiled softly and reached down swooping her into my arms. She squealed slightly before burying her head into my neck.

"Where are you going, sissy?" She asked, her warm breath trickling across my neck.

Smiling I tilted her chin up. "Your big sister is going on a very important mission." She looked at me wide-eyed so I continued, "I was given the great mission of going out to help a king in a far away land, and then I must go to the high priestess where she will grant me a great gift."

Holly looked up at me with a wide grin. "My sister is amazing."

Laughing I kissed her forehead before setting her on the ground. "Hardly. Now, while I'm gone you have got to help mamma and daddy out, ok? Be a good girl for your sister."

She nodded and kissed my cheek lightly. "I promise, Castlyn."

I stood up from my crouched position and fixed my bag on my shoulders. Ruffling Holly's blonde locks I smiled a farewell smile before walking out the door and towards a future that now seemed more uncertain than ever before.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and tell me what you think, or if there are a lot of grammar issues (I'm a little rusty).