Untitled (Metaphors)

(Metaphors)

When we got to the party, after walking through those dark streets, I knew something had changed. There was something in the air, static and uncomfortable. You left me after 20 minutes, saying you were going to find something for us to drink, so I stayed outside and talked to your friends.

While you were gone you found her, that girl, that strange beautiful girl. You didn't come back for over an hour and when I went looking for you, I found you just watching her dance. I can't believe you sometimes. You didn't even talk to her that night, you idiot. We got drunk, very drunk, and you just watched her from afar. She knew you were watching, but you didn't even notice.

When we saw her again, weeks later, with her arm around some boy and stumbling over her words, I knew there was nothing I could do. You talked to her that time, at least, told her your name, where you worked, your favourite colour. She liked you, kept leaning in, but you were so very oblivious. I don't understand you sometimes. At least when she kissed you, you got it, and when you disappeared for an hour this time I didn't question it.

You two dated after that, went out to little coffee houses and ordered pretentious french drinks, held hands and recited poems. You were so annoying as a couple, I hope you know that. But at least you were happy, for the three months she stayed.

I know how when you met her you just wanted to crawl into her bloodstream. You told me that she was the air in your lungs, the blood in your veins, you said she was alcohol pounding through your drunken head but you can't make people out of metaphors, the world doesn't work like that.

She wasn't a metaphor, she was a human being and maybe if you'd treated her like one she would have stayed with you.

You treated that poor girl like she could save you, unloaded all your problems on her shoulders and expected her to find you a solution. Well I could have told you how that would work out, but you found out anyway, didn't you? She was not a concept, some object to help you figure your life out, she was a goddamn person just looking for some peace of mind. You have to stop doing that to people, you know. Stop throwing them away when you realise they're not perfect, that they have problems too.