Status: Complete. <3

Edge of Blackest Night

Remi

The end of my college career was over in less than a week. It should’ve been an exciting time for me, but it wasn’t. After finding out I passed my Art History exam my friends and I decided to go celebrate. It was short lived.

I was pulled from my conversation with Stacey when I saw a blinking red light on my phone. A missed call. I shushed my tipsy friends as I tried to listen to the voice message, but they only cheered loudly. I smiled and gave them the bird, which only made them cheer louder. Shaking my head, I found a quite alcove and plugged my other ear.

“Remi, I know I missed our weekly call but….things have been complicated. This is hard for me to say over the phone…the cancers back. The doctor says if she lucky she has a month, two tops. Give me a call when you have a chance. School must be stre-” I quickly pressed the end button and slide it back into my pocket.

The music no longer helped lift my mood; the long island iced tea felt like a brick in my stomach, the bar goers seemed to close for comfort. I bit my lip to stop my eyes from watering. It was too much. I pushed through the crowd. I tripped over someone and crashed into my table.

My friends started laughing and cheering again. I glared at them and grabbed my bag and coat.

“Remi, what’s wrong? Hey what you doing? You can’t be leaving, Bradley’s on his way.” I glared at Stacey and Amy, their slurred voices grating on my nerves. They don’t understand how could they? My world was shattering and they were laughing it up.

“I got to go.”

Image

I didn’t leave as soon I had hopped. I left Dad a message that I would be there in a day or two. Luckily I was able to take the rest of my finals early, but my mind was nowhere near focused on the task. As soon as my last test was over, I went straight to Bradley’s and my apartment. I wanted to grab a few things before I left, to my horror I was greeted with Stacey bent over the kitchen table while Bradley had his hand entwined in her hair.

I snorted in disgust as I remembered Bradley looking over his shoulder. At the time I thought he would’ve stopped and pushed Stacey away, but he didn’t. He kept eye contact with me as he continued fucking her. Either Stacey didn’t care that I was there or didn’t know, but she kept begging Bradley to fuck her.

I think, no I know I am more disgusted with myself. I didn’t know what to do and I had never been in that situation before so I ran to my room and grabbed what I had packed up. I throw everything in my car and promised myself I would come back for everything else later.

The drive from Tennessee to Hayesville, Georgia was long enough for me to pull over and rest for an hour, but short enough to skip renting a hotel room. I rested my head on the steering wheel and tried to ignore the blinking red light from my phone. I knew who it was and why they were calling. The nerve Bradley had to call.

I drove all night arriving in Hayesville an hour or two after the sun had raised. The town was just starting to awaken, no one really noticed me, or maybe I didn’t notice them; it was hard for me to concentrate. I was exhausted and emotional drained. All I wanted to do was see Grandma.

Once on the outskirts of town I picked up the speed. I passed gravel road after gravel road, each one had a mail box in front of them. Some of them were familiar: Curly, Kansan, Birchwood. Other weren’t. It looked like four years could change a town. When I left there were three pieces of land for sale on the way to Bradshaw land, each one had a mailbox in front of them now: Sterling, Woodward, Pinch.

I came to a stop as a black truck with tools lining the bed of it backed out of the Pinch driveway. Two men came into view as they pulled alongside of me heading towards town. The driver rolled down his window and waved.

I was tried and just wanted to get home, but the politeness Mother ingrained in me way as strong as ever.

“Hello.” I waved back. The driver looked to be in his forties with a mop of graying brown hair. He smiled back, causing his crow’s feet at the corner of his eyes to crinkle with his smile.

“You must be Thomas Bradshaw’s daughter…Riley. Wait no Remi, right?” I nodded my head and narrowed my eyes.

“Who are you? How do-”

“Your dad and I are friends. He needed his windows replaced and hired me and my son. I‘m Teddy Pinch and this is my son Robert.” I leaned forward as Teddy gestured to his son.

Robert waved at me and smiled. He brushed his unruly mop of brown hair from his face. “Hey.”

I smiled back and waved.

“Sorry we can’t chat longer. We’re working at the high school today. Maybe we’ll see you around. Tell your dad hi for us.” I nodded as Teddy waved one more time and drove off. I yawned and kept driving until I can to my drive way. The gravel road twisted and turned until I came upon a two story house with Sky blue trim. It was just like I remembered except for the windows and the pink charger taking up the whole drive way.

I rolled my eyes. Of course Riley would choose the flashiest car she could pick. Knowing her she probably dyed her hair some outrageous color. I pulled off to the side of the road and parked. The house was still shrouded in morning silence. I took out my keys hoping Dad hadn’t changed the locks.

The door swung open on well-oiled hinges. I checked the key rack for Dad’s keys. They were still there. He probably had the day off. His cruiser much be in the garage. I took the stairs as quietly as possible. I passed Riley’s old room and noticed it cracked open. She was lying in bed with her hand hanging over the edge. I rolled my eyes as I saw a stripe of purple hair lying over her sleeping face.

I edged away slowly and made my way towards my room. I glimpsed into Grandma’s room. She was sleeping. I didn’t want to wake her so I turned to leave to my room.

“Remi, get your butt in her and give me a dang hug.” I cracked a smile as I rushed into the room. Grandma struggled up then opened her arms. I nearly jumped into them. My fears of not getting here soon enough to see Grandma before she passed evaporated. “Thinking you could just walk on by without my noticing…shame on you.” I squeezed harder as she chuckled.

Without warning I started crying. “Whoa there honey bee, what you crying for?” I backed up, arm’s length away. ”I thought I might’ve been too late.” Grandma wiped away my tears.

“Now, now you should know by now. I don’t much care for lying. Now tell me the truth.” She wiped more of my tears away then put a stray hair behind my ear. She brushed my hair back and tugged on my waist length hair. “Come on tell me.”

I sighed. “I caught Bradley cheating on me with my best friend Stacey.” Grandma’s eyes widened.

“Didn’t he propose to you?”

“Yeah. Worst yet. He just kept…fucking her.” I covered my mouth. “Sorry I-”

“No need to be saying sorry. That girl, that whore. You say whatever you need to. I would be cussing up a storm. Hell I would’ve shot that boy. You know what I think I will.” Grandma went to get up, but I stopped her and smiled.

“Thanks Grandma.” She grumbled and settled her against the headboard.

“Has he called yet?” I nodded. “Have you listened to it?” I shook my head. “Good, don’t. Now I know you’ve driving all night go and get a few hours of sleep.” I nodded. Grandma leaned forward and kissed my forehead and shooed me out.

I stumbled into my room shut the door and fell on my bed in exhaustion. I didn’t even take my shoes off.